The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 11, 2002, 06:17 AM   #26
shy_man

Break Free is my brand for my Pistol cleaning. Not cleaning only but to oil it making all the parts flawless.

The thing I like it so much is, it stays long to the metal and don't drip much if correctly applied. It smells good for me and for my wife.
Old June 11, 2002, 07:09 AM   #27
straightShot

I like the Hoppe's smell but not the smell of Break Free. I started buying the 100 pack of disposable gloves for $7.95 so that my hands don't smell like BF for the entire day. It works for me...
Old June 11, 2002, 12:46 PM   #28
BigG

Shake Well!

It's the best stuff I've found. Wipe a smidge over the metal surfaces with your finger and you are not likely to get rust. The stuff does not remain greasy. That's prolly why Mike complained about gunking up his firearm. Maybe he put too much in and it set up? I haven't had any problems like that myself.

Breakfree is good for cleaning the bore. Put some on a patch using a jag, not a slotted tip. Push the jag almost out of the bore and retrieve it. A few patches like that and then a dry one or two and your bore will be acceptably clean and well protected against corrosion. If there is metal fouling you'll need to scrub it out with a bronze brush, ammonia based cleaner, etc. Similar with lead. Once you have the bore clean and protected with Breakfree CLP, the metal fouling or leading also reduces, making subsequent cleanings easier and quicker.

Breakfree CLP is the best gun care invention since the silicone cloth.

So with Breakfree CLP, a can of Gun Scrubber, and a silicone cloth you can take care of 99% of your firearms cleaning/preservation chores.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 11, 2002, 03:02 PM   #29
Lycanthrope

Break Free is not the only CLP endorsed by the armed forces nor is it the only one to pass their trials (note the webpage listed below).

Break Free IS a good product, but from my experience FP-10 does the job with less gum and a better smell to boot.

www.fp10.com
Old June 11, 2002, 04:34 PM   #30
Big Al

I like a different brand of smelly stuff - the Tetra products. I use the Tetra lube for corrosion resistance and bore seasoning, and the grease on metal-to-metal contact points. I've been using the lube for about two years now to season bores, and cleaning has gotten ten times easier. This stuff works.
Ruger 22/45 - "The Toy"

"Oh yeah? Well I talk LOOOUDLY! And I carry a BIIIGGER stick! And I'll use it, too." -Yoesemite Sam
Old June 12, 2002, 07:39 AM   #31
Eric Larsen

I use Break Free CLP and like it for protection and lube purposes.
I use Hoppes #9 for everyday cleaning and aromatherapy and Shooters Choice for "those really heavy days" and dirty barrels.
Use BF lightly and it works very well.
Shoot well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old June 12, 2002, 08:10 AM   #32
sm

FP-10

Mil-Spec and all , see site in above post.

Best,
Old June 12, 2002, 03:50 PM   #33
Correia

I agree with Big Al. If you think Breakfree smells bad, try some Tetra! It works really well, but I swear that it smells like cow poop. No exageration. I grew up around cows, I know what they smell like.
Old June 12, 2002, 10:07 PM   #34
ATTICUS

I like CLP a lot. It's a decent cleaner and a great rust preventer.- although I usually clean with Hoppes #9 first. Tetra works well but smells like three day old vomit . I grew up in the seventies...I know three day old vomit.

Mike Irwin - your guns won't rust in the rain if you use Breakfree..HaHa!
Old June 13, 2002, 05:28 AM   #35
Lone Star

Doesn't anyone here like the smell of Chanel No. 5 or No. 19?
What about the smell of fresh-ground coffee? Cabernet sauvignon?

I endure the smell of gun cleaning products. I'd PREFER to smell coffee or a classy blonde wearing Chanel...

Lone Star
Old June 13, 2002, 07:01 AM   #36
BigG

I grew up loving the smell of leaded gas.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 13, 2002, 07:15 AM   #37
FPrice

Lone Star...

"What about the smell of fresh-ground coffee?"

I used to use fresh ground coffee on my firearms but the grounds kept jamming up my trigger action, so I started drinking it instead!

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old June 13, 2002, 05:53 PM   #38
S.F.S

I have a can of Rem-oil here that has the same mil-spec# L-63460 as Break-Free CLP. I have always heard that Rem-oil is to thin too use, but yet it has passed the same tests as Break-Free Could anyone comment on this at all?

By the way the new formula of Tetra gun oil doesn't stink. I have a bottle I bought a few months back and sometimes I use it as a lube but I find it to be kind of thick.

I also have never had a problem with Break-free CLP but I only use very little, like others have already stated "A little goes a long way".
Old June 14, 2002, 11:34 AM   #39
krept

Well I like the smell of CLP, smells like bananas. I use CLP for a couple of years and still have a little of it left. For some reason, I like the C the L and the P to be done by different products.

Cleaning - MPro-7 for the reasons mentioned. Now brake cleaner smells BAD but works great (probably too well?). MP7 works fine and doesn't really smell.

Lube - Militec. Like the fact that it doesn't require shaking. I don't really mind the teflon clumps at the bottom of Brakefree before shaking, but some do. Militec smells sweet, like something a dog would probably want to chow on. IMO unsurpassed as a lube by other over the counter products.

Lube, grease. Rarely used, primarily on bolt carrier for Kalashnikov. Use Tetra Gun Grease... good stuff. A complimentary tube of Militec grease is on the way, so I'll have to test that.

Protect - Tuf-Glide. I'm interested in how this stuff does at protecting versus other products. Unlike protectatnts with an oil based carrier, Tuf-Glide evaporates within a matter of minutes and leaves a nice dry sheen of rust inhibitor. The oil based products when used as protectants attract a LOT of fuzz.

If I just had to have one to do it all, it would be CLP. Great stuff.
Old June 14, 2002, 05:03 PM   #40
38Mike

FWIW,

I like breakfree for general cleaning/lube chores, for cleaning the bore I've found JB compound REALLY works well; I thought I'd a clean barrel on my Kahr P9, when I put a patch with some JB through it.....whoa, look at all the crud....

Mike
Old June 14, 2002, 05:07 PM   #41
ump45

Newb questions here. What is the silicone cloth for?
Old June 14, 2002, 05:26 PM   #42
hitnthexring

Silicone cloth is only for wiping sweaty (salty) fingerprings after handling a gun, not for cleaning.
Old June 14, 2002, 05:28 PM   #43
ump45

Ahh ok. I think one of those came in my cleaning kit.
Old June 14, 2002, 05:57 PM   #44
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Some of you guys spend way too much money on cleaning supplies.

BF-CLP. 1 bottle. 3.95. Does everything.
Done.
That's it.
Old June 14, 2002, 09:07 PM   #45
Dwight M S

I wish someone would run a good, Consumer's Reports type test on cleaners and lubes and find out, once and for all, which are best, second best, and so forth. I'll bet they're all good, just some more than others.

Dwight M S
Old June 15, 2002, 06:58 AM   #46
S.F.S

Dwight,
I agree with you on that...
Every manufacturer seems to claim they have the "Best" product...

Im gonna be doing a little corrosion test at home over the weekend with several different oils and CLP's I have here. I will post my finding when complete..
Old June 15, 2002, 07:51 AM   #47
Jorah Lavin

Just added BF aerosol to my cleaning supplies,

to use as a rust preventer on my carry guns. I've mostly been using a big batch of Ed's Red I made up for my scrubbing chores, and Hoppe's to clean up the Ed's Red - then dry everything off with paper towels and apply light coat of BF-CLP at the end.

I added it to the kit based on a web review of rust prevention, since I was getting the odd bit of ugly on my Kimber since I (stupidly) carried it near my skin on a hot day.

I used to use a ton of brake cleaner, but found it removed too much of the oil film, leaving the guns very dry and probably unprotected from rust... now I just use it now and then for flushing out bolt mechanisms or whatever, when I get too carried away with the Ed's Red. Also use tiny bits of gun grease here and there if I see wear patterns developing on slides or whatever.

I must be an amazing slob... I can't imagine cleaning my guns at the kitchen table, like I hear people doing here, or in the bedroom. I like to really scrub at things with a toothbrush and lots of the Ed's.

I was at my brother-law's house on "family obligation" at the end of May, and he was amazed that I wanted to clean my shotgun after two days of shooting trap in the backyard... says he cleans his shotguns "every year or two."

Yuck. My guns might be over-lubed, but they gleam inside and out when I put 'em away, and I like it that way.

I keep meaning to get some of the Mpro7 to try, (don't like having to wear chemical resistant gloves when I clean the weapons) but the price keeps putting me off, and I've got tons of the homemade stuff left, so it will probably be a while before I get any.

-J.

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
Old June 15, 2002, 07:02 PM   #48
hube1236
Registration in progress

I use Break free for the majority of cleaning, breaking out the Hoppes after 3 shooting sessions. Love the smell, love the stuff. Used it primarily on the AR, but it has migrated to all of the puppies.
Old June 16, 2002, 02:00 AM   #49
krept

Hah George, funny stuff.

Were you the one that was going to do the experiment with CLP and the other chemicals? If so, any status update?
Old June 16, 2002, 06:27 PM   #50
Rusty S

Choji oil

I had heard that the Japanese used choji ( clove ) oil on their katanas, so I bought a 2 ounce bottle of it at the local pharmacy ( used as a toothache remedy ). Turned out to have a very strong smell.

Later learned what the Japanese used was a mineral oil base that was SCENTED with clove oil.

I didn't have any mineral oil on hand but I did have a vegetable oil based product containing cold pessed almond oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, sweet sesame oil and essential oils of bergamot, jasmine, and sandalwood. mixed about 3/4 ounce of clove oil with six ounces of the mixed vegetable oils and had a wonderful smelling oil to use on my knives, swords, and khukuris. Good on leather too.

The clove oil you can get at most any pharmacy. To get the Kama Sutra Pleasure Garden massage oil you have to look a little farther. Maybe Victoria's Secret might have it. Some of my friends have taken to calling it Choji Sutra oil for some reason...

The real reason I'm ROTFLMAO is not that I pulled your legs here, but that I'm ready to swear on a Bible that it's the God's own truth ( well, I'll swear on a Bible just as soon as I wipe my hands off real good )!