The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 17, 2002, 06:10 AM   #51
RBK
Registration in progress

Some things in life are waaaay over-rated.

Give Ed's red a try, will ya?
Old June 17, 2002, 01:49 PM   #52
krept

Quote:
To get the Kama Sutra Pleasure Garden massage oil you have to look a little farther. Maybe Victoria's Secret might have it. Some of my friends have taken to calling it Choji Sutra oil for some reason...
I can see it now. Cleaning my firearms with Love Oil, fiancee comes in... looks at oil, looks at firearms then at me... busted.
Old June 17, 2002, 02:01 PM   #53
STW

Here's a test of the rust prevention abilities of several products for those wishing someone would do a test.
(Short answer BF CLP and Eezox came out on top.)
Cleaning and lubing weren't part of the test.

http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-rust.html
Old June 18, 2002, 07:58 PM   #54
drcohen

If you want your weapon protected in FIRE READY condition, WD-40 and any CLP will not cut it.

WD-40 is a high-tech kerosene. BreakFree CLP (short for Cleaner Lubricant Protectant) is a short-term fix product. That is why it was invented.

More weapons manufacturers use more of one synthetic lubricant protectant over all others -- that's Mil-Comm Products' TW-25B. And that's what US Special Forces treats their arsenal with.

www.mil-comm.com

And if you still want to use a solvent cleaner, follow it up with isopropyl alcohol to remove the residue. Solvents are bad stuff. Bad for grease.
Old June 19, 2002, 08:25 AM   #55
BigG

I visited the Mil Comm site and it's interesting. In fact it brought up a question in my mind.

Why do they and other manufacturers not submit their lubricants, protectants, etc. to an independent testing lab like UL and get their endorsement.

All I see are a bunch of testimonials from satisfied users. Hardly the same thing, imho.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 19, 2002, 04:20 PM   #56
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Smell???? What Smell???

Break-free usually down the bore of a brand new weapon----then dry patch.

After shooting---Shooter Choice to remove powder residue----then Sweet's 7.62 to remove copper-----then Break-free or Rem-oil to protect the bore.

If fired with corrosive ammo---hot water with Dawn soap first-----rinse with clean water-----then see above--------then followed by a good blast of WD-40 from the receiver end.

Most get brushed infrequently(sp?)-----if something is really crudded up------the tornado brush comes out.

If you don't like the smell on your hands----wash them several times with Dawn dish soap-----usually gets it off.
-------Metallica
Old June 19, 2002, 04:58 PM   #57
S.F.S

I have been using Tetra Lubricant on my Ruger MKII for the last couple weeks now and that bolt is slicker then snot with no sign of wear after 2000 rounds.
Anybody ever use this stuff as a preservative, if so how is it?
Old June 19, 2002, 08:20 PM   #58
eyeballz

BreakFree does it all. Cleans, Protects, Prevents rust very well
and doesnt smell bad.

EBZ