The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 4, 2024, 08:35 PM   #1
Schanen51

Help me decide on a stock

I just picked up a Christensen Mesa barreled action in 300 PRC. I'm trying to decide on a stock that it should live in for the foreseeable future. I have a spare 56mm optic that will eventually find its way onto the Mesa, so I'm in need of a stock with adjustable comb at a minimum. The 2 I've heavily been considering are:

1) Christensen arms BA Tactical stock
2) Manners LRH

I have a Christensen stock on a ridgline... not a HUGE fan, but I also don't hate it, and it's a sporter stock, not the BA tactical stock. Never owned or shot a manners. I have someone willing to sell me a BA tactical stock for about $550, so the CA stock would be quite a bit cheaper. I am however not opposed to spending more if the juice is worth the squeeze...

Also considering the McMillan ELR hunter. I've shot McMillan in a work setting, but I'll be honest, their order form and all of the options are a little bit daunting!

What would you get, and why? If you have other recommendations, throw them my way.
Old May 4, 2024, 08:36 PM   #2
Schanen51

Forgot to mention that an obvious pro for the CA stock would be the lack on inletting required to fit the action in the stock. Anyone have experience inletting a 700 stock for a CA?
Old May 4, 2024, 10:11 PM   #3
taylorce1

It really boils down to how fast do you want to be shooting your new rifle? I'd call McMillan and Manners and find what is the current lead time on their stocks. That might make the decision for you faster than anything else.

The Christensen action is supposed to be a Model 700 footprint, so it should be very close to drop-in with M700 stocks. The trigger guard/bottom metal might be different from a M700 inlet, but I don't know.
Old May 5, 2024, 07:45 AM   #4
old roper

McMillian has listing for Christensen action. I would call them and their great to work with.
NRA Life Member
Old May 5, 2024, 08:10 AM   #5
hooligan1

Manners, located locally here in my country, is so freaking busy, but if you call and talk with Anthony, ( I'm sure that's his name) he can get you needed info.. Manners Composite Stocks are quality made, and quality takes a minute so be aware..
Old May 6, 2024, 03:30 PM   #6
Schanen51

I'm not really in a huge rush, so timing is of no issue. From what I can tell, while CA is a rem700 clone, a few things are different, like the bolt release, so minor inletting is common. Was hoping someone on here could tell me their experience with a BA tactical stock. Seems like all 3 of them are composite and in the 2lb range. The only listing for CA is the model 14 action, and I'm still trying to figure out if the mesa barreled action is stamped model 14 or not. Still waiting on shipping, but as previously stated, I'm not really in a rush
Old May 7, 2024, 06:56 AM   #7
Nathan

Have you tried the KRG Bravo? It is kind of the easy button, but it works, IMO.