The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 28, 2000, 02:00 PM   #1
dZ

Pocket Rocket Elimination Act of 2000 (Introduced in the House)

HR 4876 IH

106th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. R. 4876

To amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the possession or transfer of the easily concealable pistols known as `pocket rockets'.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

July 18, 2000

Mr. BLAGOJEVICH introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the possession or transfer of the easily concealable pistols known as `pocket rockets'.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Pocket Rocket Elimination Act of 2000'.

SEC. 2. PROHIBITION OF THE POSSESSION OR TRANSFER OF THE EASILY CONCEALABLE PISTOLS KNOWN AS
`POCKET ROCKETS'.

(a) IN GENERAL- Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(z)(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or transfer a handgun that is--

`(A) capable of holding 2 or more rounds of ammunition; and

`(B) less than 7 1/2 inches long.

`(2)(A) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of a handgun by a person who has had title to the handgun continuously since before the date
of the enactment of this subsection.

`(B) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of a handgun by a law enforcement officer while acting as authorized in the line of duty.'.

(b) PENALTIES- Section 924(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(7) Whoever knowingly violates section 922(z) shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.'.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c106PoVxu4::
Old July 28, 2000, 02:20 PM   #2
elector

If this ridiculous bill were preceeded by a Congressional Stupidity Elimination Act, there wouldn't be a quorum to vote on it.
Old July 28, 2000, 02:43 PM   #3
SA Scott

So I can have my Texas CHL, as long as I select weapons only difficult to conceal.

Calling this circular logic insults fine circles everywhere.

Just how much of firearm production does this silliness cover? I don't own a pistol that would fail this test, and I'm not likely to purchase one.

SA Scott
Old July 28, 2000, 03:00 PM   #4
Kentucky Rifle

I'd like to say that this is just another "internet legend", however it's not difficult for me to believe that some ass in congress is thinking that the "Pocket Rocket Elimination Act" is just a GREAT way to do an end run around the Constitution.

UP THEIRS!

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.
Old July 28, 2000, 04:30 PM   #5
SG12

Sadly,WLM, its not just legend. I checked out this Blagojevich guy. He's a screaming liberal congressman from Chicago. Go to his website and you'll "Read all about it". This is the guy who went with Jesse Jackson to the Balkans and talked Milosevic into releasing three captured soldiers. I remember the news stories, but had forgotten the names involved. I do remember JJ looking for all the camera exposure he could get, so it follows that Blagojevich was right beside him. Funny, I read his bio (link below) and disliked him immediately. I generally take a bit longer to form an opinion on someone, but this guy has a real axe to grind. I'm afraid we, and our kind, are the object of that axe.

Steve
http://www.house.gov/blagojevich/Bio.htm
Old July 28, 2000, 04:46 PM   #6
Battler

This bill is the epitome of stupidity.

But the A/W ban was, too.

This bill will go nowhere for now; but the stupidest things have become law after a few tries.

Battler.
Old July 28, 2000, 04:48 PM   #7
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello all. Yes, the idiot bill is for real, but at Thomas, it did not YET have any sponsors. Note that the bill's language does not just include "pistols," but revolvers as well. Best to all.
Old July 28, 2000, 05:01 PM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Well, according to the text of the bill, not only are my Tomcat and G33 "pocket rockets", but so are my P7M8, G29 and G30, and my G23C(!). Congresscritter Blagdawhazzisface must have some wicked huge pockets!

------------------
"..but never ever Fear. Fear is for the enemy. Fear and Bullets."
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!
Old July 28, 2000, 05:04 PM   #9
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

P.S. A Sheriff's model SAA would be squeak by, but a Storekeeper's model with a bird's head gripframe is a no-go...
Old July 28, 2000, 05:18 PM   #10
Battler

They wanna tell lies about "pocket rockets" and ban them but the VPC makes up a MEAN and DEFINITIVE shopping list!!
http://www.vpc.org/studies/pockap1.htm
Old July 28, 2000, 08:16 PM   #11
dZ

VPC Lauds Introduction of Blagojevich Bill to Ban
"Pocket Rockets"

The Violence Policy Center strongly supports the "Pocket Rocket Elimination Act of 2000." The bill
will be introduced today, July 18, 2000 by Representative Rod Blagojevich (D-IL).

The legislation would deal with a deadly new trend in the gun industry: pocket rockets. The
dangers of this new breed of handgun is detailed in a new Violence Policy Center study,
POCKET ROCKETS: THE GUN INDUSTRY'S SALE OF INCREASED KILLING POWER. The
25-page study details how the gun industry has increased the lethality of its products by producing
larger caliber, higher capacity, and more readily concealable handguns in order to boost sales in a
stagnant market.

Tom Diaz, VPC senior policy analyst and author of Making a Killing: The Business of Guns in
America, joined Rep. Blagojevich (D-IL) to release the study at a news conference in Chicago on
July 17, 2000.

Pocket rockets are a dangerous new ingredient in America's firearms brew. These deadly weapons
are the latest example of the gun industry's insatiable quest for a higher profit margin—regardless
of the number of lives lost in their greedy and deadly venture.

Reports by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) and others show that
handguns move relatively quickly from the legal trade in firearms into the hands of criminals and
youths. Predictably, crime gun tracing data show that as manufacturers have heavily marketed
pocket rockets, these tiny but deadly pistols are moving into criminal use at a dramatically
increasing rate.

The VPC strongly supports Rep. Blagojevich's legislation to ban these handguns. The legislation
would ban the future sale of handgun with an overall length of less than 71/2 inches.

The Violence Policy Center is a national non-profit educational foundation that conducts research
on violence in America and works to develop violence-reduction policies and proposals. The Center
examines the role of firearms in America, conducts research on firearms violence, and explores
new ways to decrease firearm-related death and injury.
http://www.vpc.org/press/0007bill.htm
Old July 28, 2000, 08:40 PM   #12
Mr. Pub

I can tell you something about this guy Blagojevich. I use to live in his district which is the old Dan Rostenkowski district on the northwest side of Chicago.

Basically, this guy married the daughter of a northwest side Chicago power broker/politician who has quickly pushed him up the ranks to finally take Rostenkowski's place after he lost his reelection due to an indictment for stealing money.

The residents of Chicago don't have a high gun ownership rate to begin with so there is not a lot of RKBA sentiment.

I actually don't think that Blagojevich (1/2 Serbian) is anti-gun based on any personal conviction that guns are bad. Instead I think that he is just looking around for any issue that will get him the most attention. Its kind of hard to fill Dan Rostenkowski's shoes.

So, I would look at his motivation as more insincere attention getting than anything else. The thing he probably wants most is to have the NRA attack him and put him on the same plane as Schumer and Feinstein.

The best way to hurt this clown is to dismiss him as a lightweight rather than to demonize him.

Just my 2 cents.
Old July 28, 2000, 08:40 PM   #13
DialONE911

Just a few of the "Pocket Rockets" to be banned...

Beretta Cougar
Glock 17, 19, 22 ...
HK USP, P7M8
Ruger P93, P95
S&W - most, but it serves them right.
Taurus - PT-111, PT911, PT-957
Walther P99

1911s and a few others fit through. There's going to be a rush on concealment rigs for Desert Eagles.

This bill must be STOPPED, not approved in a compromise form.
Old July 28, 2000, 08:49 PM   #14
dZ

yep, Blagojevich is also responsible for the 50bmg rifle ban report. He is looking for press time and getting it. http://www.house.gov/waxman/doc/50cal.htm

We need to work to derail the careers of these statists. They want them all, big & small.

dZ
Old July 28, 2000, 08:54 PM   #15
Meiji_man

Press Release:

U.S. Rep. Rod Blagojevich (D-Ill.) has taken yet another step in his elitist, racist crusade, attempting to remove the last type of handgun the
disadvantaged can afford. His labeling of the so-called "Pocket Rocket" is a thinly veiled attempt to totally take firearms out of the hands of
minorities and single mothers everywhere.

Blagojevich has targeted Single mothers and Minorities in his attempt to look "tough" on guns. Knowing that there is no lobby or special
interest to protect them. His attempt to pass this bill will take 1000’s of legal guns out of the hand s of law-abiding mothers and the
disadvantaged while leaving criminals and the wealthy untouched.

When he is not funneling more than 250 million dollars worth of government pork into the fat cat pockets who live in his district. He is
cozying up the environmental lobby and costing East Chicago Indiana jobs by his grand standing. Perhaps to atone for his days spent
wrecking the pristine Alaskan wilderness working on the Alaskan Pipeline.

Paid for by the "American’s to get Rid of Bigoted Congressmen"

It's all true I looked up on his website when I wrote this. There might be a "little" spin on it though, but feel free to send it to your newspaper.

------------------
Go Ugly Early.

AD HOMINEM; Helping Morons argue since 1549!!!
Old July 28, 2000, 09:35 PM   #16
Seronac

This guys bio says:

"Blagojevich passed the only gun-control legislation to become law during the 105th Congress. The measure allocated $1.25 million to trace guns found at crime sites and, for the first time, added Chicago to the list of cities where the gun tracings occur. Thanks to the legislation, Chicago police traced 10,000 guns and discovered, for the first time, that all but 98 were sold in illegal, black-market deals."

Isn't that evidenc that law-abiding gun owners don't commit crimes? Why doesn't he see it?

Seems to me it's irrational to hate an object: firearms. Could he really be that stupid? Could there be an ulterior motive? Perhaps he's not really demonizing guns, but freedom? That's seriously dangerous!

And has the .50 BMG EVER been used in by a civilian 'sniper' in a killing spree?

[This message has been edited by seronac (edited July 28, 2000).]
Old July 28, 2000, 09:36 PM   #17
PreserveFreedom

I *WISH* my Beretta Cougar 8040 would fit in my pocket!

Old July 28, 2000, 09:56 PM   #18
BlasterMaster

I think this Blagodevich jerk is just playing the devil's advocate. All the bastard wants is attention.

BM*

Old July 29, 2000, 12:22 AM   #19
3 gun

First it was the "small caliber,cheaply made,unreliable,easy to hide;Saturday Night Special" that was the threat to LEO and the "good people"in the fair city. Now the problem is the large caliber,well made,reliable,easy to carry "Pocket Rocket". I wish these people (Blagojevich,Brady etc) would go away and stop showing the bad guys the error of their way. I'd really rather be robbed/shot at by a thug with a Jennings .22 than a .40 Glock. Better yet put them away the first time so I can go about my days in peace. Lets get to the heart of the problem.

------------------
Be careful what you ask for..You may get it.
Old July 29, 2000, 03:43 AM   #20
denfoote

Letter to my Elected Thing:

Please oppose HR4876.
We gun owners are in no mood for any gun control.
In fact, we are mad as hell, and are not going to take it any more.

Regards,

Dennis Foote

I suggest that we all send something similar to all of our Elected Things.

Anyone here live in that moron's district??

------------------

Yeah, I got a permit to carry,it's called the friggin Constitution.---Ted Nugent

"Glock 26: 17 rounds of concealed carry DEATH comming your way from out of nowhere!!! THAT'S FIREPOWER, BABY!!!"

[This message has been edited by denfoote (edited July 29, 2000).]
Old July 29, 2000, 07:42 AM   #21
Allen_Raiford

Oh Joy! The Anti's have coined another stupid phrase-Pocket Rocket!
(Uptown)Saturday Night Specials
Assault Guns
and now Pocket Rockets...

------------------
"Pathfinders Light the Way!"
Old July 29, 2000, 07:45 AM   #22
old hawk

guess its time ta get me some more pocket pieces before its too late

Old July 29, 2000, 07:55 AM   #23
houndawg

My 229 would be banned. I'd like to see somebody put that hunk of metal in their pocket.
Old July 29, 2000, 08:18 AM   #24
dZ

Its time to elect people that represent our views, support NRA, GOA ,COA and get busy recruiting other shooters to get involved. The BATF just got a large budget increase to bother us with, the criminals already ignore the law.

dZ
Old July 29, 2000, 08:51 AM   #25
Good Guy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by old hawk:
guess its time ta get me some more pocket pieces before its too late

[/quote]

I give up! What is this supposed to be a picture of? Enquiring minds got to know.

------------------
Just one of the Good Guys
Closed Thread