The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 16, 2020, 06:19 PM   #1
Quizcat

Reblueing end of the barrel and crown?

I cut off the end of the barrel on one of my rifles, leveled it, and recrowned it. I highly polished the end of the barrel, and the new crown. I'm looking for a good finish to apply to the end of the barrel, but the "easy" blueing products don't seem to be very durable, and many of the reviews seem to indicate that they often wear off, even when sitting in the safe, unfired.

I've checked out things like Perma Blue, Super Perma Blue, OXPHO-Blue, Formula 44-40, and while they're easy, I worry about their durability, since this will be protecting the end of the barrel, and the abuse sustained there from firing the rifle is likely to deteriorate whatever of the "easy" reblueing products I might put on there. Plus this is on a black rifle, and these reblueing products are blue rather than black.

I've also looked into Express Blue, and while there are a few more steps to follow, it's still pretty easy to use, and it has the best series of reviews. But, I'm not sure it would protect the end the barrel/crown, versus being adequate for just reblueing the parts of a firearm that aren't subjected to high temperatures, carbon, pressures, etc...

Color doesn't really matter much I guess, as I'm going to be threading the end of the barrel for a muzzle break. So, the end of the barrel, and crown won't be visible unless you're looking into the bore.

Any alternarive suggestions for finishes that will protect the end of the barrel/crown? I do like "easy," but not sure which other "easy" types of finishes to consider, if there are any.
Old May 16, 2020, 08:48 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Oxpho, in my experience is more black than blue and seems pretty durable. It's easy to use, and a bottle isn't that expensive. If you get it on there and don't like it, it wouldn't be that hard to remove it and try something else.
Old May 16, 2020, 10:30 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

None of these items will protect the crown from rust. You might as well just oil it.
Old May 16, 2020, 10:49 PM   #4
Nodak1858

Quote:
Oxpho, in my experience is more black than blue and seems pretty durable. It's easy to use, and a bottle isn't that expensive.
While it really isn't any kind of real protection, it will darken it up vs shiny metal. And if it looks bad like John said it's cheap, and easy to do. Mark Lee Express blue can leave nice results though it's not tough to do it does take a bit more effort. I've done a number of rifles and pistols with hot salts, slow rust blueing and Express blue. I use Express blue if I'm doing anything over a small part, but if it's tiny or a srtch a dab a cold blue is ok.