The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 10, 2008, 10:39 PM   #76
Quarterbore

My Redhawk (post above has photo) has the 2x Leupold as well and you can see how much smaller it is compared to your photos. The eye relief is also better with the 2x especully for big game hunting.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...8&postcount=61
Old September 11, 2008, 08:20 AM   #77
Leedavisone

Solution!

It appears that the original Ruger technique of JB Welding their barrels on just didn't work. But I am certain that they will re-JB it for you if they are asked... they are a reputable group. But I should think that the real fault lies with the owner for not having a professional Fault Finder available to scan the pistol before purchase. I have been lucky in life to have an excellent Fault Finder with me... my ex. Well, until now that I am independent again.
I would like to suggest the best and most profitable solutions: Sell it back to the pawn shop as a "Super Snub" special, or just keep it as a shooter and tell people that it is the ultimate 'Sheriff's Special' . I would be willing to buy it from you for what you paid just for the bragging rights and stories I could tell about how it came to happen. ("look how this cracked when I wacked that Bison"!).
Old September 11, 2008, 09:30 PM   #78
B.N.Real

The failure follows the threads that mounted the barrel to the gun.

If the barrel was fitted way too tightly to the frame (just jammed to the frame)and the rifling in the barrel essentially retightened it to the gun everytime you fired it,that might cause this kind of failure too.

The bullet entering a gun barrel that is sized for accuracy creates alot of friction and twisting action as is starts down the barrel after going through the forcing cone.

The barrel at that point has alot of grooves that are each a place to have stress create small fractures.

Also the thickeness of the barrel is at it's least there as well.

Plus there is horrendously quick temperature changes and propellant pressures involved at that location in the barrel as well.

With an extremely powerful handgun,like the 44,it's history,before you ever got it may well have included alot of shooting with 'full house" factory loads or even reloads.

But if that was the case,I am sure you would have turned the gun over,opened the cylinder and looked at the top strap directly next to the forcing cone and you could see some top strap flame cutting if that was the case.

You did'nt mention that so I guess it was'nt there.

I am surprised this does'nt happen more often with guns that fire very powerful handgun cartridges but that is a tribute to the engineering genuis of these gun makers as well as Ruger too.

Not a common happening with any Rugers.

Look forward to a beautiful,rugged,hand tuned Ruger coming your way.

And I am not a trusting soul.

I find it very hard to believe the former owner and/or someone in the gun shop did'nt know this gun did'nt have a problem before it was sold to you.
Old September 11, 2008, 10:15 PM   #79
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.N.Real
I find it very hard to believe the former owner and/or someone in the gun shop did'nt know this gun did'nt have a problem before it was sold to you.
B.N. - I don't blame them. From what I've read about it, it was not only the thread lube, but the fact that some barrels were lubed, then sat out overnight or over the weekend, then threaded in the next working day. Apparently, the thread lube had dried up somewhat, or something to that effect, so it was not every gun during this time period. Just guns that were made at the end of a shift.

When I was back there having them ship the gun out, the guy who sold it to me was there, helping someone else. I said to him: "Thanks for selling me a bum gun, Dude." I waited for the reaction, which I got, then let him down and said: "Just kidding. Not your fault." You should've seen the look on the face of the girl who was just buying a Glock off of him.
Old September 12, 2008, 07:26 AM   #80
FM12

Thanks for sharing this incident with us. Please keep us up to date on the outcome. I suspect Ruger will m ake this right for you, they certainly don't want this gun displayed at some gunshow as an example of their production handguns. Plus, it's just the right thing to do. What they do here will go a long way toward their credibility as a manufacturer. There are more than a few suscribers to this forum that will be watching, and the word of mouth can be tremendous..("Did you hear about the Ruger SBH that blew up and had pics of it on TFL"?..."No, what did Ruger do about it"?)

BTW, I can only assume that the barrels are not cast, are they? Surely they are forged.

I also remember the ads where Ruger went head-to-head with S&W in the 1980s, purporting the strength of their beefed-up guns as opposed to the lighter, thinner S&Ws, and how much stronger the Rugers were.

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Maybe we'll see.
Old September 12, 2008, 08:38 AM   #81
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM12
I also remember the ads where Ruger went head-to-head with S&W in the 1980s, purporting the strength of their beefed-up guns as opposed to the lighter, thinner S&Ws, and how much stronger the Rugers were.

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Maybe we'll see.
Well, I know Rugers are thicker & heavier than S&Ws, and that is at least partly due to using cast metal instead of forged. Forged is stronger for its size because it has grain direction. In that regard, S&Ws are like solid wood, where Rugers are like particleboard. They both have their place. I think the main thing that makes Rugers stronger is their more modern & thicker design, not the material.

I would assume the barrels are forged, but I'm not sure.
Old September 12, 2008, 09:41 AM   #82
Wuchak

This has been a know issue with the old Redhawks for better than two decades.

From Grant Cunningham's excellent article on Lubricants. http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

"(One major gun manufacturer actually had barrels fall off of their revolvers. An investigation ensued, and they found that the chlorinated esters used in their machining oils was causing stress cracking in barrel threads. When combined with the gun owners' use of cleaning and lube compounds containing chlorinated esters, the barrels simply sheared off at the weakest part - the threads. To this day, the company forbids any chlorine-carrying compounds on the manufacturing floor, to prevent a recurrence.) "

Want to guess who he's talking about?
Old September 12, 2008, 10:42 PM   #83
PzGren

Wrong title, you did not actively blow up your gun, it failed on you by manufacturing defect.
Old September 12, 2008, 10:52 PM   #84
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Well, I know Rugers are thicker & heavier than S&Ws, and that is at least partly due to using cast metal instead of forged. Forged is stronger for its size because it has grain direction.
In some cases the Ruger's heavier, in some cases not. The 686 and the GP100, for example, are identical in weight and can use the same holster. Clearly the strength advantage ascribed to the GP100 isn't from additional weight or size.

Forged vs. Cast is a lot more complicated than most realize. For those who are really interested in the truth, here's a very informative thread. It may be a bit more in depth than many care to read. Post #118 (page 5) is especially pertinent.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=20673

Suffice it to say that properly done a cast part can be just as strong as a forged part of equal weight, size & quality.
Old September 12, 2008, 11:29 PM   #85
WIN71

Quote:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=20673

Suffice it to say that properly done a cast part can be just as strong as a forged part of equal weight, size & quality.

Looks like Properly done is the core of it.
Old September 13, 2008, 09:35 AM   #86
B.N.Real

Wow,Wuchak,that was definitely an eye opener.

To (that companies) credit,they took action.

I am amazed that this information did'nt go into an industry wide warning.
Old September 13, 2008, 07:25 PM   #87
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Looks like Properly done is the core of it.
Yup. The point is, of course, that PineTree Casting (Ruger's Investment Casting branch) is the best in the industry. They even cast turbines for jet engines.
Old September 14, 2008, 12:32 AM   #88
WIN71

Quote:
They even cast turbines for jet engines.
That's interesting although I imagine there is a substantially bigger profit margin in a jet turbine wheel, not to mention one of the most rigid inspection protocols known to mankind.
Old September 14, 2008, 11:46 PM   #89
454PB

Very interesting. I have an identical RH, and it was made about the same time period. Mine has had many thousand heavy loads fired through it with no problems.

Using lubricants of any kind on torqued threads can cause failures. I've seen it myself on grade 8 7/8" bolts securing a crane to it's pedestal. When the engineers required torque is applied to a bolt with thread locker or sealant, the bolt is over stressed. They don't fail immediately, it takes multiple stress cycles. IMHO, that's what happened here.
Old September 16, 2008, 05:27 AM   #90
dchi

Im in agreement that it appears to be a metalugical problem. I've seen lots of breaks like this in cast steel and iron. Also every blown gun I've seen has either blown cylinders, frames or split barrels. Not broken in half. You will have to take this up with Ruger, the gun shop is not responsible. If you tell them you used reloads, Ruger will not be responsible either. Send it back and let them test the steel first before you admit to anything. It could be faulty.
Old October 20, 2008, 11:16 PM   #91
Smaug

Update

I just asked Ruger for an update.

They said that "it is in polishing and will be another 3-4 weeks."

Must be some kind of polishing...

I hope they don't bump it back and screw me out of late gun deer season. (1st week of December here)

The dealer said it would be 4-6 weeks. By my calculation, it has been over 5 weeks already. Another 3-4 weeks = 8-10 weeks. Damn.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old October 21, 2008, 07:26 AM   #92
WESHOOT2

first, be patient

Then, when you get it back, contact me direct for some 44 Redhawk reloading advice......

[email protected]
Old October 21, 2008, 11:08 AM   #93
Smaug

Thanks WESHOOT2.

I just remembered I requested a bit of extra service from them too, so it is my own fault, if that is why it is in Polishing for so long.

My 44 Magnum dies should be arriving any day now, and I intend to have some loads worked up for late deer season when the gun arrives.

I'm planning on a max load (according to Lyman) of H110 and Rem 240 gr. JHPs. (since that's what I have on hand) Then, maybe Bullseye or HP38 for target ammo. I have some 240 gr. Rainier plated flat points that I need to use up before ordering some lighter range ammo.

- Eric Hoffer
Old October 21, 2008, 11:16 AM   #94
WESHOOT2

public admission

I have a 5.5" Redhawk.
I have many many dies.
I have Lyman data, and more.
I have H110, and more.
I have the Rainier 240g TCJ-FP, and more.
I DO NOT HAVE the Remington 240g JHP, but I have some experrience, and ideas (and many other choices).

But I won't post too much 'heavy' data here, because not everyone understands or accepts the ramifications.

(And if I could, I'd post a picture of a box of very old ammo marked "45 Long Colt" LOL)......

Last edited by WESHOOT2; October 21, 2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: there were actually three lengths......
Old October 21, 2008, 11:38 AM   #95
Bogie

Too bad it was already sent off...

I'd love to know the results of firing it with only the barrel stub in... Preferably with photos taken at dawn or dusk...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 21, 2008, 11:41 AM   #96
RevolverRO

I've been following this thread since the first post, and Smaug, I hope they get the gun back in time for deer season !

I own a 5.5 Redhawk and two 4 5/8 inch Bisley Vaqueros. I've had a lot of success reloading with H110 using the 240 Hornady XTP. Last year I got a nice 4 x 6 buck with one of the Bisleys shooting the XTP over 23.5 grains of H110 (Open sights, of course.)

Good luck, I hope they get it back to you in time !
Old October 21, 2008, 08:39 PM   #97
crghss

Did they find anything out?

Do they know the cause for the failure? Did it cost you anything to have it repaired, besides the extras?
Old October 22, 2008, 08:19 AM   #98
4V50 Gary
Staff

Polishing? I'd think Ruger would replace the gun rather than release a defective product on the market.
Old October 22, 2008, 11:03 AM   #99
Smaug

crghss - I'm sure they do know the cause of the failure. It was well known back in the 80s. They haven't said a word to me. I assume there will be no charge, since they are already in Polishing. (read the whole thread for details)

4V50 - The barrel broke off right at the frame, allegedly due to over-torquing the barrel when installing it. Allegedly, that was caused by the thread lube not being good, because it was left out overnight. So it isn't like the whole gun was defective, just the barrel. Also, I specifically requested that they repair that gun (if it is safe to do so) since the trigger is so nice on it. (the trigger is much nicer than those of the Super Redhawks) (if you look back at the text of the letter I sent to Ruger, you'll see the full context)

- Eric Hoffer
Old October 22, 2008, 11:05 AM   #100
Smaug

crghss - Another thought. I didn't ask them to polish my Redhawk. It is possible they just decided to replace the gun and polish the internals of the new one so that the action is as smooth as my old one was. I will not know until I receive the gun back, I guess. (see my letter to Ruger for reference)

- Eric Hoffer
Closed Thread

Tags
ruger redhawk hunter