The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 17, 2008, 11:16 PM   #126
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAK
So, did they replace the entire action? Basically gutted and replaced all stock?

Just the barrel, as near as I can tell.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old November 17, 2008, 11:19 PM   #127
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
So, is the trigger pull the same as before?

If so that would be a good thing!

Now, go figure...
Old November 17, 2008, 11:20 PM   #128
Gun 4 Fun

Wleoff-How'd you manage a .45 Redhawk in the 80's?They didn't come out until 1999 in .45 according to the person I talked to at Ruger, when I called to find out the year mine was made.
Did you get someone to rebore and rechamber your gun? If so, who? Before I got mine, I was thinking about having either Bowen or Clements do that to a.44 Redhawk, cause I like the .45 a lot better.
Old November 18, 2008, 08:11 AM   #129
Wleoff

Gun 4 Fun, The 45 Colt is stock. I got it in 88' thru Davidson. A friend of mine, who is a gun article writer, told me about it. I wanted the Redhawk in 45 Colt because I was already loading that round in a Blackhawk. I did add the scope and grips to the Redhawk later. Bowen does great work, especially being nearby in Tennessee. He made a 4" barrel Redhawk in 45 Colt for me years ago. Here's a few of the 45 Colts that I still have:
Old November 18, 2008, 09:13 AM   #130
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAK
So, is the trigger pull the same as before?

If so that would be a good thing!
Yes, they didn't do anything with the action.

Between sending the Redhawk in and receiving it back, I bought an SP-101 and did an action job on it. The single action on the SP is better than that of the Redhawk, so I'm going to have to work on that. Polish things up a bit. The SA is better on Super Redhawks too.

The Six series, GP-100, SP-101, and Super Redhawk all use the same action, and it is just not as good for DA as that of the Redhawk. I haven't even put the lighter springs in the Redhawk yet.

The SA on the Redhawk is just really heavy for a hunting handgun. It is clean, but very heavy.

- Eric Hoffer
Old June 6, 2012, 04:49 PM   #131
arthury

I know it was a long time ago but ... I am curious ...

So, you didn't tell us how the shooting go after the barrel replacement.
Did the barrel stay attached? Was there any accuracy issues?
How did it go generally speaking?

Thanks!
Old June 7, 2012, 11:35 AM   #132
Smaug

arthury: It is actually good that you have asked several years later, because I can report that all is fine.

I've shot many hundreds of rounds through it since the barrel replacement. The accuracy is top-shelf; I've managed about a 2.5", 5-shot group standing offhand at 25 yards with it. (using the scope)

The barrel stayed attached. This is still one of my favorite handguns, even though it is not the least bit practical, except for target shooting.

I took it deer hunting once, and was not comfortable leaving it cocked and unlocked. I saw a deer and slowly raised the gun. From 40 yards away, the sound of the hammer cocking sent the deer running.

Now don't get me wrong: a 40 yard shot in dense woods with a handgun is not an easy shot. I probably would have missed anyhow.

It just makes me all the more mad, since if I was allowed by the regulations to use my lever action rifle in 44 Mag, I would have almost certainly tagged that doe.

- Eric Hoffer
Old June 7, 2012, 11:41 AM   #133
arthury

Thanks for the response.
I am looking one myself, not for hunting, but mainly as a backup sidearm against bears in the deep woods and I am having a hard time finding a 4"/5.5" version.

It looks like Ruger has stopped production for all of the Redhawks for sometime now but they announced on 5/31 that they are accepting new orders from distributors for their products. I'm not sure if they will fire up a new production cycle for the Redhawks again any time soon.
Old June 7, 2012, 11:48 AM   #134
buckhorn

Redhawk

I bet Ruger sends you a new gun. Let us know. It doesn't look like a J.B. weld break. When the front of the ram assembly on my Remington Piette broke, I J.B.'t back on. Only I didn't follow the instructions and clean the area good enough. When it broke again, there was a grey residue left, and it wasn't smooth like your break. The second time, I followed instructions and cleaned the metal down to shiny and it's been fine since. [about 100 rounds].
Old June 7, 2012, 12:21 PM   #135
Sevens

Hey Buckhorn, I'll bet you are right!

But don't try to make money with these bold predictions!
(read the recent posts...)
Old June 7, 2012, 12:56 PM   #136
newfrontier45

Quote:
I bet Ruger sends you a new gun. Let us know.
Did you read the thread? Pay attention to the dates as well.
Old June 7, 2012, 05:29 PM   #137
buckhorn

blew up Ruger

Didn't you guys ever make a mistake? MEA CULPA, MEA CULPA, MEA MAXIMA CULPA.
Old June 7, 2012, 10:38 PM   #138
Master Blaster 2

LOL Buckhorn...

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; June 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old June 8, 2012, 04:10 AM   #139
BigShep85

What grips?

What grips are on that Redhawk wleoff?
Old June 11, 2012, 12:02 AM   #140
Cool Breeze

Holy crap! this is an amazing thread. I had heard about the barrel thread lube issue but never saw any results like that.

Hence the birth of the super redhawk, eh?

that's amazing and I'm glad no one got hurt in the process........

Ruger makes it happen.....I'm a big ruger fan (except my no.1 rifle was a pain to scope)......ha

that lube destroyed the integrity of that barrel base. and ruger was on it.........

I guess by the time they learned it was the lube, they had already beefed up the frame on the super version
Old June 12, 2012, 01:01 PM   #141
coolbreezy

smaug, glad to see all is well with your redhawk! I have a 1983 made redhawk with a 7 1/2 barrel, and I was scared to shoot it at first cause barrel separation I've read about. After about 100 mid power loads and another hundred of the hot stuff, my barrel stayed intact. I'm glad that it did, because the accuracy and action of my particular redhawk is nothing short of incredible! Happy shooting!
S&W highway patrolman 28-2/ Springfield mil spec 1911 (semi custom)/ Sig P220 match elite .45 acp/Kimber micro 9 stainless/ Remington 870 tac14/ Taurus pt22/ S&W 629-1 3" .44 mag/ S&W 629 PC V-Comp/ Beretta M9/ Stevens/Savage 311A 12 ga double bbl/ Magnum research Desert Eagle XIX .44 mag/ S&W 460 xvr/ Glock g40 10mm longslide/ H&K usp compact .45 acp/ Ruger SuperBlackhawk Lipsey Edition/ S&W 686+ 3-5-7 talo edition
Old July 4, 2012, 01:15 PM   #142
dgludwig

I wonder if anyone knows of the serial number range of Redhawks that might be afflicted with the barrel/frame separation issue?
Old July 4, 2012, 11:29 PM   #143
riggins_83

Give Ruger a call, I suspect they'd fix it.
Old July 7, 2012, 12:57 AM   #144
TennJed

Quote:
Give Ruger a call, I suspect they'd fix it.
Yeah they will probably rebarrel it. I bet you a steak dinner it takes them more than 2 months to do it though!

And I hope he doesn't get his hopes up about that 5 1/2 barrel
Old July 7, 2012, 01:11 AM   #145
joneb

My dad's 44 blackhack blew up with a 4227 load, the cylinder had a flaw and Ruger sent him a 44 Redhawk as a replacement at his request.
Old July 7, 2012, 02:03 AM   #146
Sport45

Quote:
Yeah they will probably rebarrel it. I bet you a steak dinner it takes them more than 2 months to do it though!
What kind of sucker bet is that? It did take 9-10 weeks for him to get the gun back.... in 2008!

Didn't there used to be a necro-thread warning under the subject line of threads that were started more than six months or so ago?
Old July 7, 2012, 02:11 PM   #147
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Didn't there used to be a necro-thread warning under the subject line of threads that were started more than six months or so ago?
There is a warning if one attempts to reply to a thread that hasn't been active in awhile. But after someone bypasses the warning and puts a new post on the thread, now it's an active thread and subsequent posters won't get the warning.
Old July 8, 2012, 08:10 PM   #148
Lashlarue

I thought Ruger fixed this problem several years ago,Some Monday morning guns were shearing off the barrels, as the lube put on Friday night dried out before the barrel could be installed,causing excessive force to be used when screwing in the barrel and fracturing the steel.I know it was discussed here at least two or more years ago.
Old July 8, 2012, 10:20 PM   #149
JohnKSa
Staff

That is correct, as far as I know. This is one of the threads where it was discussed--it was started in 2008.

Since the age of this thread is causing confusion, I'm going to go ahead and lock it.

Tags
ruger redhawk hunter