The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 1, 2024, 12:24 PM   #151
Pumpkin

Who would have ever thought a US Government agency could spend too much money on a project to end years later doing a complete circle back.

So they come up with a more powerful round, that fits in the same size gun, (unlike the 41Mag vs the 357Mag of yesteryear) that offers too much recoil for one of our elite organization’s agents to shoot well.

Maybe we have a different problem?
Old April 1, 2024, 12:51 PM   #152
Webleymkv

Quote:
Originally posted by Pumpkin
Who would have ever thought a US Government agency could spend too much money on a project to end years later doing a complete circle back.

So they come up with a more powerful round, that fits in the same size gun, (unlike the 41Mag vs the 357Mag of yesteryear) that offers too much recoil for one of our elite organization’s agents to shoot well.

Honestly, I always found the notion that the FBI is the premier authority on defensive handgun performance to be ironic. The FBI isn't the largest police agency in the country (that's NYPD), they don't get in the most gunfights (that's the Border Patrol), and they aren't the oldest Federal police agency (that's the U.S. Marshalls). They had a situation where two agents got killed and several more severely injured due primarily to poor preparation and marksmanship, but to save face they blamed their handgun ammunition, picked bigger and more difficult to shoot calibers, and somehow came out as the premier source of law-enforcement handgun selection criteria? While the FBI has provided some good information and data points, given their history I find the taking of their conclusions as definitive to be, well, ironic.
Old April 1, 2024, 05:08 PM   #153
Pumpkin

Well said!
They probably have the most disposable income to fund such studies and their opinion on anything holds little water for me these days.

Last edited by Pumpkin; April 1, 2024 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Turrible speelin
Old April 1, 2024, 05:19 PM   #154
wild cat mccane

I'd blame the Dickey law long before I'd blame a group with only some allowed data.

Nothing political in that statement. As a data person, it's a total joke.
Old April 1, 2024, 06:10 PM   #155
Webleymkv

Quote:
Originally posted by wild cat mccane
I'd blame the Dickey law long before I'd blame a group with only some allowed data.

Nothing political in that statement. As a data person, it's a total joke.
I'm not quite sure what an amendment prohibiting the CDC from using its funding to promote gun control has to do with the FBI's expertise or lack thereof or the .40 S&W cartridge
Old April 1, 2024, 09:29 PM   #156
Pumpkin

I wonder what the users would have chosen?
Old April 3, 2024, 08:17 PM   #157
Forte S+W

Quote:
I wonder what the users would have chosen?
Someone should poll this somewhere, preferably a forum with a lot of police officers.
Old April 4, 2024, 02:16 PM   #158
Sgt127

When the FBI declared the .38 Special (357 Magnum) obsolete, agencies dumped their revolvers. They were on the open market for nothing.

When the FBI declared the 9mm obsolete, Agencies dumped their 9mm’s and, they were on the open market for nothing.

When the FBI said the .40 was obsolete, and the 9mm was just as good…

There’s a common denominator here.
Old April 4, 2024, 08:51 PM   #159
Forte S+W

Well this time it's totally going to play out differently because the haters say so!
Old April 4, 2024, 09:53 PM   #160
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post

They briefly adopted the 10mm, but their agents couldn't handle it.
Old April 5, 2024, 01:32 AM   #161
JohnKSa
Staff

There was never an issue with FBI agents handling the 10mm. This is a myth. I don't know how it got started but it's pretty easy to verify that it can't be true.

1. BEFORE the FBI ever issued 10mm, they settled on a reduced loading that was identical to what the .40S&W would be when it was later developed. The FBI never issued full power 10mm, they only issued their reduced 10mm loading which was equivalent to what the .40S&W would be when it was later developed.

2. The reason they moved away from the 10mm relatively quickly had to do with problems with the 10mm 1076 S&W pistols which were eventually recalled in 1991. The FBI initially went back to 9mm but then made the switch to .40S&W in 1997.

1988 FBI develops the 10mm FBI loading.
1989 FBI officially switches to 10mm.
May 1990 FBI begins issuing S&W 1076 pistols in 10mm.
May 1991 S&W 1076 pistols are recalled.
1991 FBI begins issuing SIG pistols in 9mm.
1997 FBI issues pistols in .40S&W.

So the reduced FBI 10mm loading was developed BEFORE any 10mm pistols were issued to agents, full power 10mm was never issued to agents, and the reason for dropping 10mm was problems with the S&W 1076 pistols not agents having trouble with the caliber/loading.
Old April 5, 2024, 02:41 PM   #162
wild cat mccane

That is 100% correct.

That's why the 40 was created. They figured out the load that was modeled for the 10mm FBI load had wasted space in the 10mm case. 40 created that fit the 9mm.

10mm in mythic FPS was never fielded. Mythic Norma loads people mention, I start digging it just doesn't seem like 10mm was ever commercially a hit and on the shelf loads weren't all that crazy nuclear. Top it off that at the time of mythic nuclear 10mm, bullets required FPS to expand well. Thanks to drag and FMJ on target don't vaporize like a steel backstop, all FMJ handgun rounds are capable of the same depth.

10mm HST today is very low FPS. Bullets just don't need big FPS anymore.

As LukcyGunner says on their 10mm test section, bullets stop performing as designed when you start loading them high (bullet failure).

Bullets are skived and bonded now. The 9mm is uniquely back end heavy. Drag isn't as limiting on required FPS. It's a good combination.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; April 5, 2024 at 02:54 PM.
Old April 5, 2024, 04:42 PM   #163
Pumpkin

How much does drag enter into a discussion on pistol bullets?
Old April 5, 2024, 04:46 PM   #164
JohnKSa
Staff

For self-defense loadings, or even the mainstream pistol sports, I don't think I've ever heard anyone even bring it up.

If you're shooting silhouette then it might be worth looking into.
Old April 5, 2024, 04:47 PM   #165
Pumpkin

Wildcat,
A larger frontal diameter after expansion will have more drag but is creating more tissue damage.
I thought this was what we wanted?

Last edited by Pumpkin; April 5, 2024 at 05:03 PM.
Old April 5, 2024, 05:18 PM   #166
JohnKSa
Staff

You want sufficient penetration to get to the vitals in combination with good expansion.

Any of the service pistol calibers can achieve this goal.