The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 2, 2002, 11:35 PM   #1
roho

22lr for 11 year old son

All,
What would be your choice for an 11yr. old boy. Have been secretly looking at the Henry lever action youth model and the Henry Survival models. Both 22lr. Have hinted around about a single shot Henry youth. He definitely doesn't want single shot. What would be your choice? Any other models ?
Old January 2, 2002, 11:55 PM   #2
hksigwalther

Although I've never shot a Henry, I've always thought their Golden Boy with octagonal barrel is a cool looking rifle.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/goldenboy.html

I do, however, have a Winchester 9422M and am satisfied with it. the only thing wrong with lever action .22 rinfires (shorts, longs, long rifles, and magnums) is the goofy loading procedure if they are tube fed like regular lever actions. An alternative to this is Ruger's rotary detachable magazine 96/22 and 96/22M. Not very appealing to the eye for a lever action, IMO, but I'm sure they work OK.
Old January 3, 2002, 12:16 AM   #3
bastiat

I'd stay away from the survival rifle - haven't heard great things about them.

A good choice for a first gun are the romanian m1969 5 shot bolt trainers. It has a short enough stock for a young shooter but is still comfortable for adults. You can get them for about $60, or less if you look around. Shoots great.

The downside is some of them may be in rough condition, but for me refinishing them is part of the fun. At their current price, you can afford to buy two (or more!) and shoot one while the other is being refinished.
Old January 3, 2002, 12:18 AM   #4
savagehunter308

i have a marlin model 60, i am 15 though, i dont know if u would want him having a self loader semi auto, but its a great gun, if u go out shooting a few times and forget to clean it itll be fine and its accurate, comes with red hi-viz type sights. i like it.
Old January 3, 2002, 01:28 AM   #5
weagle

Cz makes a top quality youth .22 bolt that is under $150. It is far ahead of the chipmunk/ marlin or other youth guns in my opinion. For just plain down right "coolness" that henry yellowboy is hard to beat. Good shooting, Weagle
Old January 3, 2002, 11:39 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

(Tried to merge the two threads, but couldn't. Lost the recommendation for a Winchester Model 75.)

I generally suggest a bolt-action as a first rifle. Better for leaning "fire-discipline", of coordination of sights and trigger-finger. Less temptation to "spray and pray". Learning to shoot with iron sights will carry over to pistol shooting, and, possibly later on, the military.

You might consider letting him make the choice. Part of that has to do with fit and feel and comfort. He's possibly a better judge? Plus, it'll be part of that "rite of passage" toward being his own man. IMO, his making the choice would be as big a thrill for him as getting a surprise gift.

$0.02, Art
Old January 3, 2002, 12:22 PM   #7
Brian Williams

I have a savage mkII, they are great little guns you could get the regular model and cut the stock to fit if you needed to. my son is 13 and he loves this. http://www.savagearms.com/new/rimfir...es/mark11f.htm

http://www.savagearms.com/new/
Old January 3, 2002, 01:14 PM   #8
Watch-Six

A manually operated rifle is certainly a training advantage. However, my sons quickly outgrew the bolt action and single shot rifles and took over my 10/22. I finally gave up and went with multi 10/22s. Watch-Six
Old January 3, 2002, 02:29 PM   #9
hickok45

Got my son a 22. caliber Marlin '97 (cowboy lever gun) this Christmas, and he loves it. So do I!

It's a bit pricey, but I don't think they get much better.
Old January 3, 2002, 04:15 PM   #10
boogerbawb

I still lean towards the single shot or bolt action. I was always glad my dad started me out on single shots, as first and foremost I learned to make that one shot count, i.e. learn to SHOOT. Depends on your budget, though. I could afford to get my daughter a 10/22 after a couple years of the bolt gun, but she too knew how to make 'em count by the time she got it. I just think starting a kid out on a semi-auto is like the mindset of the US Army these days with the M-16....as Cooper says, "If you can't shoot well, shoot A LOT!"
The most terrifying sound in nature is not the roar of a charging lion nor the whistle of a descending bomb; rather, it is a click when you expect to hear a bang." Peter Hathaway Capstick, or, "Why I hate the M16A1"
Old January 3, 2002, 08:04 PM   #11
Bob Locke

I learned to shoot on a Remington Speedmaster, but dad was looking over my shoulder so I didn't get out of control.

I like the idea of letting him at least help pick it out. He's old enough at 11 to know what he wants, more than likely.
Old January 3, 2002, 10:02 PM   #12
gryphon

I also think the bolt action or lever action would be the way to go.

I have a MArlin 25N that is awesome accurate. Check them out.
Old January 3, 2002, 11:29 PM   #13
roho

Thanks for the replies everyone. I too have been apprehensive about the semi-auto feature. Although both my 22's are semi's, I still advise him to concentrate on the single shot technique. Right there behind him at all times acting like the "COACH". My hinting around and trips to the gun shops with him in tow has led to him to eyeing the survival style Henry. He is really very conscientious about hitting the bullseye. Have found a range about 50miles away that has guns for rent. First chance I get, we're going over and fire and fit some models they have. He really digs the Jager AP74 (M16 lookalike) I have. I guess most boys dig the GI Joe look(kid here too the OL says).

OH Well, Really do appreciate the input everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 4, 2002, 12:46 AM   #14
songdog_sniper

i got my son a remington 597 wal mart job. and surprised myself as it is a little shooter. prints about 1.5 at 100 yards 10 round clip semi auto nice little gun with composite stock for 150 bucks. we floated and beded the barrel and action togther makes for a neat little project gun.
Old January 5, 2002, 11:59 AM   #15
nine fingers

Quote:
Although I've never shot a Henry, I've always thought their Golden Boy with octagonal barrel is a cool looking rifle.
Although it is very pretty, the Golden Boy is not, IMHO, a good youth rifle. The octagonal barrel adds a great deal of weight and he brass requires extra care.

BTW I understand your son not wanting a single shot. A repeater is more "FUN." A long time ago, I taught 11 year olds to shoot at summer camp. We used single shot bolt actions. This put a premimum on accuracy and made the the gun more of a tool than a "fast bang bang toy." I still recomend single shot for the FIRST rifle. Once the shooter shows that he/she can use a rifle safely and responsibly, a nice semi-auto or lever action for the 12th or 13th birthday is a great idea.