The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2024, 06:33 PM   #1
stagpanther

Hazmat fees

Anyone else notice that they have recently gone up by 50% or more?
Old May 11, 2024, 07:44 PM   #2
FITASC

Not seeing 50%, at least where I buy from, but they are closer to $30 than they are to $20
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 12, 2024, 10:44 PM   #3
tjmga

HAZMAT FEE

Who gets the hazmat fee. Does this go to the seller?
Old May 12, 2024, 10:57 PM   #4
lll Otto lll

^ in general, HazMat fees go to the carrier. Most retailers charge you what the actual fee is. But some retailers charge more than the actual fee and profit from it. And lastly, some retailers absorb the entire cost and you don’t pay a HazMat fee at all. HazMat fees are not mandated or collected by the government.
Old May 13, 2024, 03:21 AM   #5
cptjack

powder valley 22.00
Old May 13, 2024, 06:19 AM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
^ in general, HazMat fees go to the carrier. Most retailers charge you what the actual fee is. But some retailers charge more than the actual fee and profit from it. And lastly, some retailers absorb the entire cost and you don’t pay a HazMat fee at all. HazMat fees are not mandated or collected by the government.
Carriers have increased their fees according to what I've seen on some final price calculations.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 13, 2024 at 06:29 AM.
Old May 13, 2024, 09:15 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
But some retailers charge more than the actual fee and profit from it. And lastly, some retailers absorb the entire cost and you don’t pay a HazMat fee at all.
Most don't profit, as they have incidental costs like training, paperwork, costs associated with remitting the hazmat fees, etc.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 13, 2024, 11:17 PM   #8
akinswi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Anyone else notice that they have recently gone up by 50% or more?
Interesting I felt like this is one thing that went down in the last 5 years, Midway use to charge 49.00 Haz mat now its like 20.00
Old May 16, 2024, 09:47 PM   #9
tjmga

Thanks OTTO for the reply.
tj
Old May 16, 2024, 09:58 PM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
in general, HazMat fees go to the carrier. Most retailers charge you what the actual fee is. But some retailers charge more than the actual fee and profit from it. And lastly, some retailers absorb the entire cost and you don’t pay a HazMat fee at all. HazMat fees are not mandated or collected by the government.
Sorry,
TANSTAAFL - no one absorbs anything - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
that cost is built in somewhere along the line