The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 12, 2002, 01:34 AM   #1
makarov

Which .22 Lever Action

I would like to get a .22 lever action - just for fun. So far the choices that I have seen are:

Winchester 94/22

Marlin 39

Browning

All three seem pretty nicely made. I am avoiding the Henry only because it has an alloy receiver. Are there any others to choose from? Also, who makes the current Winchester's and Brownings?
Old December 12, 2002, 02:33 AM   #2
fallingblock

I'd vote for the Marlin.....

The design has been in production since 1897 (as a take-down) and is nicely made of steel. Some folks don't like the cross-bolt safety on the newer ones and the rebounding hammer likewise draws criticism...living in a lawyer-dominated world has its drawbacks. My 39A was made in 1978 and bought from a friend. It is a joy to shoot.

That said, the friend really likes his Winchester 94/22

Have a good look at each of the rifles and shoot them if you can before deciding.

Lever-action .22's are fun
Old December 12, 2002, 05:13 AM   #3
629 shooter

I have owned a Marlin 39AS for over 5 years now. The nicest of all the Marlin 22's in my opinion! Although the trigger pull out of the box was terrible - 7.5 lbs! Required some work to get a nice trigger. The 39 comes with a scope base which attaches to the receiver with 3 screws.

The Winchester 9422s I have looked at were built in the US. The actions are much smoother than my 39. The 9422s I looked at were not equipped with studs if you were planning to add a sling. The 9422 has a dovetailed receiver for scope ring mounting. I may eventually add a 9422 to the collection!
Old December 12, 2002, 08:15 AM   #4
Charlie D

Here's what I posted to the same question on rec.guns:

I'd take a look at the Winchester 9422. IMO they're smoother, more
finely finished and more durable than the Marlins.

On a Marlin there is a finger that extends up from the lever. This not
only moves the bolt back and forth but locks the bolt in place. It
wears. I've never seen a Marlin that has been used a lot on which you
couldn't push on the back of the bolt with the lever closed and have it
move forward some more.

The bolt lock on the Winchester is independent of the finger that moves
the bolt back and forth. It is hardened steel and cams upward to lock
the bolt to the receiver.

I've owned two Marlin 39s and they served the purpose, but my 9422 is
like a Buick is to a Ford.

I'm not a Marlin basher. After buying a Marlin Guide Gun and seeing how smooth it is I'd always buy a Marlin rather than a Win '94. I have a 1930s vintage '94 in .32 Special and my Marlin is much smoother. It amazes me how a gun can feed them big ol' cartridges so easily.

One thing I don't like about any Marlin lever gun is the sharp angles of the receiver. It just doesn't feel as comfortable in the hand as the rounded edges of the Winchesters.

Bottom line is, "what's not to like about ANY lever gun."

I even like my Rossi .357 carbine and .44 Mag rifle after some smoothing, rounding and re-bluing. Those '92 designs make for some VERY handy little guns.

My first Marlin 39A was actually COVETED! I asked for one for Christmas when a young teenager and thought I was getting it. Dad bought me a Savage .22/.410 because he thought it was a better "first real gun." I was a bit shocked when I opened the package, but still managed to put a big dent in Dad's supply of .22s he brought back from "The War."

The following Christmas was magic. See picture.
Me, a 39A, and two bricks... It was a GOOD day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me gun christ \'59.jpg (104.3 KB, 94 views)
Old December 12, 2002, 08:24 AM   #5
treeprof

I have a Browning Grade II that my dad gave me some 28 yrs ago, and it's really a nice little rifle. Short lever throw, and pretty accurate. For just plinking and throwing in the truck, I'm think abt one of the Henry's. For .22's especially, an alloy reciever isn't much of a concern. Browning uses alloy receivers in their centerfire lever guns, both long and short action calibers, and in their light wt BAR's.
Old December 12, 2002, 10:46 AM   #6
johnbt

Well, not that owning a Marlin Mountie since '63 has affected my judgement or anything...

...but Marlin is American owned and USRA/Winchester isn't.

John

P.S. - Notice that nobody is bothering to refute the claim that a Winchester is more durable than a Marlin. HA! I repeat...HA! Take that.