The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 27, 2008, 03:36 PM   #1
pelican

Crazy moviegoer prefers Kel-Tec for CCW

Moviegoer charged with shooting another

http://www.phillymobile.com/topic/11...cles/189300885
Old December 27, 2008, 04:27 PM   #2
12GaugeShuggoth

Yay, another idiot who makes the smart and responsible people look equally as stupid. Just more fuel I suppose, 'tis sad.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old December 27, 2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Wildalaska

Whats the point of this thread anyway?

WildwherearethemodsAlaska ™
Old December 27, 2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Bud Helms

We have had a few of these threads lately and I'll admit they don't seem to accomplish much except bring out the +1 chorus.

This is what we call a drive-by cut'n'paste. pelican, is there a question here or would you like to propose a discussion?
Old December 27, 2008, 07:03 PM   #5
pelican

No, I just thought it might be of interest to others.

However, I see now that the thread was unneeded and inappropriate, and for that I apologize and I am sorry.
Old December 27, 2008, 07:09 PM   #6
MrNiceGuy

threads like this are great

at some point, a good number of us will be confronted with this or a similar situation as an example of why cc is dangerous.

comments in threads like this can serve to help us refine the responses in a friendly environment.

an open dialog between gun owners is paramount to defending gun rights.

if we quell communications between ourselves while the anti's keep the communication flowing, we not only make it harder to fight the anti gun laws, we make it harder to educate and raise a new generation of responsible gun owners.

Surely people dont actually believe that ignoring situations like this will aid in the "advancement of responsible firearms ownership". If anything, i'd have to say it's quite the contrary.

Last edited by MrNiceGuy; December 27, 2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old December 27, 2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Waitone

I'll try to salvage the thread.

You can just count on having this shooting thrown up anytime someone speaks about the positive aspects of concealed carry.

Now, what are the counter arguments.
Old December 27, 2008, 10:41 PM   #8
Casimer

Is there any evidence that the shooter was carrying legally? If not, why should his actions pertain to the legality of CCW?

His behavior following the shooting suggest that he may have some psychological problems..
Quote:
Vanore said Cialella then returned to his seat and continued watching the movie.

The victim and witnesses were able to identify the gunman, who was confronted in the theater by police. Vanore said officers found a Kel-Tec .380-caliber handgun on Cialella, who was taken into custody and charged.
Old December 27, 2008, 11:05 PM   #9
ChicagoTex

Clearly, this is the fault of Kel-Tec, who produces cheap concealable handguns for the masses in the OBVIOUS hope that poor, uneducated proletarians will blow each other away in all manner of public places. Especially since we KNOW handguns turn people evil, and that CONCEALABLE handguns force people to break the law and carry them - this has, after all, been attested to by numerous elected officials who have never held a gun in their life...

In case it's not obvious, I'm being extremely facetious, but this is one of the ways these things can be spun. I often think that's the reason reports such as these cite the particular firearm used. I don't like Kel-Tec because I don't feel they meet my standards for quality - but I definetely don't feel they should be maligned just because some nut couldn't keep it (his gun, no not THAT gun, his .380 ) in his pants.

Quote:
His behavior following the shooting suggest that he may have some psychological problems..
Certainly "Anger Management Issues" would seem like a bare minimum assessment. I agree there could be a lot more to it than that. But who knows, it's the holidays, maybe his wife dumped him for Christmas and he was just mad at the universe. Things get nuts this time of year, just ask any LEO, Paramedic, or Hospital worker.
Old December 28, 2008, 06:44 AM   #10
B.N.Real

How about person in jail because of out of control emotional response to movie disturbance.

He just happened to have a gun at the time but could well have had a knife as well.
Old December 28, 2008, 07:39 AM   #11
FALPhil

Quote:
MrNiceGuy wrote:
threads like this are great

<snip>

Surely people dont actually believe that ignoring situations like this will aid in the "advancement of responsible firearms ownership". If anything, i'd have to say it's quite the contrary.
+1