The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 23, 2009, 11:42 AM   #1
scouty

Hi-Point 995 cleaning ?????

Hi All, First time on this thread. I used Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber on my Hi-Point 995 carbine barrel/ action assembly not realizing most of it is a painted surface. Of course the paint is coming off. Is there a problem with this? I'm guessing the paint is more cosmetic than anything else. Also the feed ramp is painted instead of polished. The paint was coming of it before I used the Gun Scrubber. I was having problems with it jamming and the gun has never been cleaned since I've had it. Should I leave this as it is or have it polished or repainted?????? Thanks guys for all your help.
Old October 23, 2009, 08:15 PM   #2
MTT TL

Go ahead and repaint it. The thin cheap pot metal on the HiPoint will likely rust if you don't keep it painted. Don't get me wrong, I am not dissing the HP, I own one myself but the materials are cheap to keep the price low. Gas Grill paint works really well if you want to keep it black or get creative and paint it green.

Don't repaint the feed ramp, that is just over spray.
Old October 26, 2009, 01:11 AM   #3
gyvel

Quote:
The thin cheap pot metal on the HiPoint will likely rust
Pot metal (ZAMAK) doesn't "rust" per se, but, rather, it corrodes, and rapidly. The Hi-Points and other guns of that ilk are made of the same stuff that your window cranks are made of. Happy shooting
Old October 26, 2009, 01:38 AM   #4
hoytinak

You don't clean a Hi-Point. They're cheap enough that when they get too dirty to function then you've gotten your money worth and just toss them in the garbage.
Old October 26, 2009, 01:46 PM   #5
MTT TL

We don't make fun of people because they drive Kia Rios (ok maybe a little bit). A HiPoint performs the function of allowing those who can't afford the $695 for a new AR the ability to exercise their rights of having a perfectly useful carbine. When it breaks you send it back to the factory and they make you a new one, what a deal.