The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 10, 2002, 05:06 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

CZ-97 Dirty!

I decided to rough up my CZ-97B yesterday. First, I fed it Wolf Ammo. Fed it without a single hiccup.

Then, I got it dirty. First, I poured a half-handful of dirt onto the top of the gun and eject port. Firing the weapon blasted the dirt back into my face, but no stoppages.

I placed the weapon on the ground and rubbed each side of it into the dirt. Again, no stoppages.

Then, I pulled back the slide, and poued a half-handful of dirt into the open eject port. I inserted a mag and fired away. I had one failure to feed on like the 4th round, easily cleared. No more jams. I had poured a lot of sand into the weapon, mind you.

The weapon prior to this hadn't been cleaned or lubed in about a month, and had had over a hundred rounds through it at that point.

Overall, I'm satisfied. Now, the big test would be to ride around with it in a Track at Camp Grayling, let it get a fine coating of that talcum-powder like dust and then see how well it workds. Heh, too bad I can't take it with me. LOL

After the test, the trigger had annoying dirt in it and was gritty. Liberal amounts of Gun Scrubber fixed this problem. I lubed it back up with some CLP and she's ready for more.

Old November 10, 2002, 05:55 PM   #2
blades67

Did somebody dare you to do that, or do you just have too much spare time?

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old November 10, 2002, 06:06 PM   #3
samualt

Remind me not to ever let you borrow one of my guns!

P.S. I am surprised it worked so well.
Old November 10, 2002, 08:05 PM   #4
Nightcrawler

I was curious. A pistol that can't function reasonably reliably when dirty is not a pistol you can count on.

I'd have been happier had it not jammed at all, but sand got into the top of the magazine. Sand in the magazine will jam just about anything.
Old November 10, 2002, 08:32 PM   #5
gordo b.

I got one of these couple months back for "truck" gun(as in roll around in pick up floor around ranch ect.) because it was $350 + $50 for extra mag. I shot it on range and found it very accurate (not like $2000 1911's, but close enough) and I really liked the "feel", and I dont like "crunchentickers" so your testing was very elightrening and is the reason I read forums for stuff like this.
Old November 11, 2002, 07:41 AM   #6
caz223

I understand the idea of a torture test, but I just couldn't do it to that pretty, pretty CZ97b.
I wouldn't be able to sleep for a week.
Old November 11, 2002, 11:03 AM   #7
cslinger

Man, it's not even my gun and I might....

loose some sleep over this.
Old November 11, 2002, 11:51 AM   #8
Bosley

i am sooooo tired of reading cz 97 threads........................because i want one so freakin bad and it will be months before i can afford one....
Old November 11, 2002, 12:46 PM   #9
kahrma

I glad there are people out there that do these things because I just couldn't do to a gun I owned (unless maybe it was a Jennings).

I don't think I will ever have to shoot a gun that is that dirty so I am not all that worried. I keep my guns religiously clean and if they jam when clean I have no patience for them and they have to go!
Old November 11, 2002, 01:51 PM   #10
LetsFetz

ouch ... poor little big gun ...
Old November 11, 2002, 02:17 PM   #11
IamNOTaNUT

NC - What is wrong with you? It isn't even February yet and you have already been affected by the legendary UP cold weather? Then again, you are a wildcat, are you not? Alcohol explains a lot . . .

I didn't do it, but I thought about it. Next time I might.

NRA
Old November 11, 2002, 03:32 PM   #12
Nightcrawler

You may not believe this, but I'm probably the only Northern student that doesn't drink. (What can I say? I'm boring. LOL)

I wanted to know how my CZ-97B would hold up to field use. It never jams when there ISN'T sand in it anymore, not even with Wolf Ammo. Took about 800-1000 rounds to get it REALLY broken in, and the 16lb recoil spring seems ideal for it, but it works great now.

Just wanted to see what she could take. Aside from that one dirty magazine jam, my CZ-97B was all like "is that all you got??"

I'm happy with it.
Old November 11, 2002, 05:48 PM   #13
Jason Demond

Quote:
Then, I got it dirty. First, I poured a half-handful of dirt onto the top of the gun and eject port. Firing the weapon blasted the dirt back into my face, but no stoppages.
Old November 11, 2002, 06:18 PM   #14
Pilot

?

Last edited by Pilot; November 11, 2002 at 08:16 PM.
Old November 11, 2002, 06:52 PM   #15
Nightcrawler

Look folks, I didn't buy the pistol to put it in a display case and admire. I bought it to be used, possibly in the defense of my own life. I want to know that I can count on it.

So yeah, I got it dirty. Really dirty. I'm going to try submerging it in water for a few seconds, then seeing how it'll fire, I think.

For me, it's a service handgun, not a pretty target pistol. *shrug*
Old November 11, 2002, 07:52 PM   #16
Hal

(Note to self,,,don't buy a used gun from NC)
Seriously,,,better your gun than mine I guess. Thanks for "taking it tough" for the rest of us.

I'd recommend not doing the dunk test though. Water in the barrel can casue it to bulge. Ruger had this happen to their Super Black Hawk's way back when they were first being developed. They were firing full house .44 Mag loads downward into a water filled barrel. The drops of water splashing up into the barrel were causing bulges. They ended up using a rubber membrane over the top of the water to keep it from splashing back into the gun. I guess you could take the barrel out and dunk the frame/slide though if you really want to dunk it. I don't think there's much point to it though,,JMHO,,nothing really about getting the gun wet should cause it to malfunction. Ammo maybe,,or if the gun got dunked then sat out for a few days,,yeah, that might make some difference.
Old November 11, 2002, 09:04 PM   #17
Selfdfenz

CZ 97B

A.K.A Awesome.
NC
You should send a copy of that post to CZ-USA (under an alias) and also cc it to Gun Test Reports. I don't have the guts to try that kind of a test myself but I'd wager many of the Wonder-guns we all rave about might not fair so well. If the 97 can standup to this, it's a winner.
From what I've read the P-01s were very extensively tested but the makers must have spent some quality time with the 97 too.
S-
Old November 11, 2002, 09:16 PM   #18
LiveWire

Impressive. The testing process remains inconclusive, however. You still need to:

1. Bake it for 10 minutes at 425ยบ F (sans grips).
2. Leave it overnight in the freezer.
3. Drop it from the roof of a 10-story building.
4. Run it over with a 3-ton truck.

Let us know how she holds up, yes?
Old November 11, 2002, 09:23 PM   #19
Nightcrawler

Freezer? Hell, carrying all day around here in winter would be colder than our freezer. If it can't hold up to cold, it's not much good around here...
Old November 11, 2002, 09:35 PM   #20
oboeman

I noticed you said you cleaned it up with Gun Scrubber...just don't let the stuff anywhere near your magazines. I was cleaning my new CZ 75 BD last night and got some Gun Scrubber on the plastic base of my magazine and it melted it. It now looks like it went through your torture test. I've heard it will do that to some CZ grips as well, but I replaced mine with Hogue grips.
Old November 11, 2002, 09:49 PM   #21
Nightcrawler

Gun Scrubber will melt many kinds of plastic and most kinds of wood. I took the grips off for the cleaning.

It did NOT hurt the black polycoat finish of my CZ-97B.
Old November 12, 2002, 03:27 AM   #22
chaim

I put my CZ 75B through a torture test of sorts some time back (though nothing like yours). I went about 500+ rounds or so with no cleaning and little oiling and had no trouble whatsoever during that period. I eventually got bored with the test and tired of my gun being so dirty so I cleaned it. More recently I went two months without going to the range when I finally got back about 1 1/2 wks ago. I hadn't cleaned it when I put it away (it was 2 or 3 range trips since I cleaned it when I put it away) and I didn't bother even making sure it was oiled when I shot it. I had no troubles at all. Of course I usually like to keep better care of my guns but it is good to know that it will take a beating at the range so that should MD ever become a CCW state (or more likely when I move to one) I know my defensive gun can be counted on.

Oh, no more Gunscrubber on my CZs. When I used it I didn't pay attention to the warnings. Well, my grips are still there but if you look they bear scars from the Gunscrubber. I know that it isn't supposed to damage the polycoat finish but since it is a plastic based finish I won't chance it again.
Old November 12, 2002, 08:45 AM   #23
Walt Sherrill

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but...

Pouring dirt into the open mechanism, unless a round was chambered -- and from your description, it was not -- was pushing your luck. Big time. Relatively small barrel obstructions can have BIG consequences. A bunch of dirt in the barrel, when a round is fired, can be very, very dangerous.

Torture tests are fine, and potentially hurting the gun is one thing. Some of the stuff you did COULD HAVE HURT YOU.

You "dodged a bullet" in both the literal and figurative senses of the phrase. Wise up. You may not be so lucky the next time.
Old November 12, 2002, 03:06 PM   #24
Nightcrawler

Relax. I made sure the barrel was unobstructed before firing.
Old November 15, 2002, 06:07 PM   #25
Peter M. Eick

Chaim,

I found your torture test interesting. 500 rnds without a cleaning would be a normal morning for me. I usually shoot about 500 rnds out of each gun I bring to the range each time I go. If my 97b choked after only 500 rnds I would have sold it.

What is the point of going to the range (a reasonable hassle for me) if you are not going to shoot at least 1000 rnds?