The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 5, 2006, 03:20 PM   #1
turnandshoot4

NC Star scope

Does anyone have any experience with these? I know you get what you pay for in the area of glass, however even in cheap scope threads this is never mentioned. I will be scoping my 10FP soon and spent the money I had on the gun So now I have limited resources but the gun is worthless without a scope. Working with $200.
Old December 5, 2006, 03:27 PM   #2
Dirty_Harry

If you are working with $200....

Go with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40....I have one on my .450, and it stands up to the recoil and holds a zero well. they are about 150 bucks, and comes with a lifetime warr.. I personally have no experience with the NC Star, but IMO they look like junk. :barf:

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old December 5, 2006, 03:30 PM   #3
turnandshoot4

They do look like junk but they also have a lifetime warranty. I am not trying to sell any here. really, i'm not.
Old December 5, 2006, 03:33 PM   #4
BUSTER51

go to www.theopticzone.com and they will get you a quality scope at the best price .
Old December 5, 2006, 05:55 PM   #5
turnandshoot4

so not a single person has one of these scopes?
Old December 5, 2006, 06:02 PM   #6
BUSTER51

haveing wasted money on cheap junk scopes in the past ,I have found it best to start with something I won't have to replace later.
Old December 5, 2006, 06:11 PM   #7
BigEd63

I've got one a fixed power 4x one that will go on the next used 10/22 I find.
I already tested it on my M-4 so I know it adjusts fine.

However if you can find a Swift brand scope dealer in your area I'd get one of their's. Model 676 4-12x is what I'd recommned for a centerfire rifle plus they also have a lifetime no hassel warranty.
Old December 5, 2006, 06:47 PM   #8
WhyteP38

I have one. It's adequate for my purpose: to see how well my rifle groups at 100 yards. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, given that I use the thing maybe 2-3 times per year. Other than that, I don't use a scope.

If I were to use a scope more frequently, or for a better purpose such as hunting, I'd get something better.

Regarding the lifetime warranty, you will spend almost as much for the packing materials and postage to return it as it would cost to buy a second one.

Bottom line: If you're going to use it less than half-a-dozen times per year, or you plan to put it on a cheap plinker, it's not bad. For instance, I wouldn't put a $150+ scope on a $75 beater rifle. Any other purpose, you'll be better off with a better-quality scope.
Old December 5, 2006, 09:41 PM   #9
hksigwalther

Quote:
I know you get what you pay for in the area of glass, however even in cheap scope threads this is never mentioned.
Oh? Well, here. Generally speaking, you usually get what you pay for. There will be exceptions to this rule, unfortunately, IMO, NcStar is not one of them.

Having had my share of cheap Chinese scopes in the past, I've been reluctant to buy any other with the exception of a Barska SWAT 10-40X, an OK scope but I would not recommend it after trying it out. All of the others were definitely poor.

Friend bought a NcStar variable (40 mm objective) for an AR he bought. Had the opportunity to look through it. Not very good, IMO. Still a bit of distortion off center but a little less than the early Chinese scopes I have. Resolution is still low. Did not try turret tracking. He eventually returned it to the dealer for a refund. This was about a year ago.
Old December 5, 2006, 09:55 PM   #10
piercfh

You can allways get a tasco varmint scope for cheap. I have one on my 17 hmr also a savage heavy barrel.

Im shooting a mueller tac 2 on my 10 fp, and I love it. They are just over 250, but def worth it. They do make a 44mm scope without the mil-dots and not the same lense coating, but they do have the same turrets. Save for the Tac 2 you wont be sorry. I can send you a picture of my set up if you like. Im not really disapointed, but looking to improve. Im shooting consistant groups right at half inch. Im currently trying to find a good handload.
Old December 5, 2006, 10:50 PM   #11
esldude

Don't go with NCStar. They are pathetic. Someone suggested going to the Optic zone.com and see what you can get. You likely will do better.

Hey, you could get a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x mil-dot for $179 plus shipping. Or a nice Nikon 3-9x about the same price.
Old December 5, 2006, 11:45 PM   #12
270Win

At the last gun show, I had a chance to look through a NC Star spotting scope. Very poor. Even my wife, who has no scope experience whatsoever, knew immediately that it was junk. The optic quality was extremely poor.

However, I have no idea if their riflescopes are in the same league. From the sound of the results coming in here, they are.
Old December 5, 2006, 11:52 PM   #13
Clayfish

I had one of their 3-9x42IR models on my AR and it was complete junk. I couldn't get a group better than 4 inches for the life of me. I changed scope to a cheap simmons and my groups instantly droped to sub MOA. The eye relief, or lack there of, was a joke at about 2 inches. It was the worst $70 I ever spent. Go with cheap tasco over a NcStar. I had a 4-16x50 Barska on my Savage 10fp in .223 and it did a pretty good job but if you have $200 to work with I would go with a Nikon or Bushnell. I hope this helps.
Old December 6, 2006, 06:30 AM   #14
1BadF350

Unfortunately that's all I ever see at gun shows in the way of scopes....crap and worse crap.
Old December 6, 2006, 06:37 AM   #15
2002gti

i looked at one at a gun show too and wasnt very impressed with the clarity. i opted for a used redfield from ebay for $60
Old December 6, 2006, 08:16 AM   #16
WhyteP38

Quote:
It was the worst $70 I ever spent.
I spent $29 for mine. I'd say it's worth ... $25.
Old December 6, 2006, 08:52 AM   #17
rezmedic54

NcStar

I have one on a 8mm I converted. Seems to hold zero well with it rifle grouped 1 in groups at 100 yds. Seemed clear enough to me but then I never had a high dollar scope so I really can't compare it to one. On all my rifles there middle of the road scopes like BSA, NcStar, Barska,Simmons,Leapers and Bushnell. The worst of them seems to be the Bushnell can never get it to hold at any distance.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old December 6, 2006, 10:47 AM   #18
turnandshoot4

Thanks for the input!

I have heard mixed reviews about the bushnell 3200. They are in the same catagory as man others. good price, ok optics, why not? Sound like nc star is a bad scope though.
Old December 6, 2006, 07:23 PM   #19
rezmedic54

NcStar Scopes

Last gun show here in AZ they had Eagle Eye anybody ever use one of those?? As far as the Star being bad time will tell I only had this one for a year and it holds zero. I don't beat the hell out of my stuff and try not to drop them so for the money I think the cheaper ones suck but the mid priced and higher end ones work well.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old December 7, 2006, 02:12 AM   #20
gac009

I had one for .22 handgun and figured what the hey, I dont care if its a little dim its only 35$ new!!!

Long story short, it wouldnt hold zero and at the end of the day shot the ground when aiming for the bulleye at 10 yards.
Old December 7, 2006, 02:56 AM   #21
Powderman

One sentence:

Simmons Whitetail 6.5-20x50mm. Can be found for between $90-$100.

Mine has held up on a .300 Win Mag (about 100 rounds--longest shots taken was at about 750 yards across a canyon). Still holds sub MOA.

Mount it in some Burris Zee rings and you're in business.
Old December 7, 2006, 07:34 AM   #22
armedtotheteeth

Sounds like everybody here is proud of their scopes, So, I ll jump in. I got a Leupold Rifleman ($250 @ Wally world) on my Ar-30. (300 Win mag) Once i sighted that thing in, that was it. No more playing with it. well I experamented with sighting it in at 300 yards, 350, 400 and so on and so on out to 1000 yards. It has a pretty cool litle feature where you can return it to Zero buy using a settable zero marker. I Typically shoot way out there at about 500 yrds on pigs and Yotes. If i have time for the shot, i will set the elevation correct for he range. If not, Ill Kentucky windage it in. The clarity of the scope is unbeatable.And it doesnt have the super mega lens coating like the Vxs. I too almost got sucked in to the NC star EL Crappo scope. I actually had one on a rem 710 I got. ( was cheap and factory scope was dented or something) that 710 is now someone elses problem too. I unloaded it to some poor sucker who " needed a good 100 gun" I figured he meant 100 inches. Itll shoot that far, if you lob it in with the NCstar. may have to aim to the left and low, but itll get there.