The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 7, 2024, 12:21 PM   #1
David Bachelder

I got ripped off

I can't believe I was this stupid ..... well maybe I can.

I found a site that had many primers and a lot of different powders, all at fair prices.

Too good to be true? Turns out the old saying is true. I fell for it hook line and sinker, what aggravates me is that I felt like something was wrong. Turns out that I should have listened to my gut.

The site was riflearmory.com
Email Address was Marlene [email protected]
I'm absolutely sure that everything she told me was a lie.

I ordered primers and powder, again my senses told me something was wrong when they said their credit card system was out and I needed to provide funding through PayPal. Then added be sure to list it as Payment to friends or family. FYI ... if you pay to friends and family you have surrendered any chance of getting help from PayPal. She must have known this.

Like an idiot I did as requested.

Five days after my order I asked if my product had shipped. I was told that it was going out later today. I asked to have the tracking number sent to me when it shipped. I was told "No problem" we always do that.

Of course, no tracking number was ever sent, and the imaginary package never arrived.

In the end I lost $167.50, not exactly the end of the world but after all it was stolen from me.

After all of this I did a search for reviews on this company. There were several and all of them reported being ripped off. I wish I had looked earlier; hindsight is 20/20.

Do not ever do anything like that, if you senses tell you no, listen to it.

If it's too good to be true, then it probably isn't.

David Bachelder
Old May 7, 2024, 01:17 PM   #2
Jim Watson

A Roger M. reports fraud there on Trustpilot. Other cases here and there.

I was very leery about ordering from American Reloading but posters on THR say it is ok and they are in BBB. So I did. We shall see.
Old May 7, 2024, 02:39 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Whois says riflearmory.com is available to buy as a website name, so perhaps it has been shut down if you didn't remember it wrong or misspell it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 7, 2024, 04:27 PM   #4
Jim Watson

it is Rifle-Armory.com
Old May 7, 2024, 07:44 PM   #5
math teacher

Scams

This is not the only one. I ran into one from the Midwest. Fortunately the alarm bells went off. If they won't take credit cards, or ask you to make payment to a private account, they are a scam. Watch out if they have everything in stock that you can't find elsewhere. Their sites look pretty real as they copy from legitimate sites.
Old May 7, 2024, 08:06 PM   #6
rmh3481

David,
Im sorry that this happened to you.

Dont ever buy anything online that cannot be paid for with a Credit Card.

Maybe Paypal can do something for you? Call them up and ask.

Good luck.
Old May 7, 2024, 08:41 PM   #7
math teacher

Scams

The scammers will give you instructions that get around Paypal's protection. They ask you to lie which is a giveaway.
Old May 8, 2024, 12:27 PM   #8
Prof Young

Sorry this happened to you. Here's an idea . . .

When I do business with an unknown-to-me company via the internet I start small. When Everglades Ammo was recommended to me I initially ordered a small batch of bullets. Their sight looked legit, they took a credit card and seemed to have good reviews. First order went fine and I've ordered from them occasionally when I can't find what I want else where or when they have a good sale.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old May 8, 2024, 04:03 PM   #9
georgehwbush

yeah; i was looking for large rifle primers and found a fraud site. fellow i was dealing with about the site noticed that they didn't ask for a mailing address (ground address) before quoting shipping price and red flagged it. we didn't buy and upon investigation found it to be fraudulent.
Old May 9, 2024, 04:04 PM   #10
gwpercle

Always ... and I mean ALL Ways ... Listen to your Spidey-Man Senses ...

When they tell you something ain't right ... chances are Something Ain't Right !

You got to Listen and Trust that sense !

Sorry you got Ripped Off ... Powder Valley at www.powdervalley.com is honest and legit site ... I have bought from them many times .
Gary
Old May 9, 2024, 06:46 PM   #11
Nathan

Sorry you were ripped off. Thanks for the heads up!
Old May 10, 2024, 06:07 PM   #12
DaleA

Quote:
Sorry you were ripped off. Thanks for the heads up!
Same here...thanks for the warning.
Old May 10, 2024, 06:51 PM   #13
THEWELSHM

What a bummer, thanks for the heads up mate.

Thewelshm
Old May 11, 2024, 08:12 AM   #14
Jim Watson

Sad case. I asked around and looked up one shop before I ordered. The delay kept me from getting the best price, but still pretty good.
Old May 11, 2024, 07:49 PM   #15
FITASC

I saw a site that looked just like a legit Browning retailer; perfect photos, awesome availability, and pricing to die for. They had listed models no one else had; only took Zelle, PP, Venmo or bitcoin, no credit cards. no money orders, etc. What a magical scam site someone out in hours to create

If a site sounds too good and does not take credit cards or USPS money orders, RUN AWAY!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 12, 2024, 12:21 PM   #16
snoeproe

There was a site in Canada scamming people for reloading products recently also. No credit cards accepted. ATM etransfer payments or bitcoin only.
I remember the website advertising our second amendment rights. We don’t have a second amendment in Canada. lol. stay far away.
Old May 12, 2024, 07:14 PM   #17
TimRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmh3481 View Post
Maybe Paypal can do something for you?
I think that if a buyer uses Friends and Family on Paypal his protection is zero. Another site I frequent actually has a rule prohibiting F&F in their buy/sell forum. If a seller insisted on F&F I would consider it a red flag.

Tim