The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 2, 2006, 10:05 AM   #51
jeager106

I'm not gonna attempt to address the professional burglar.
I doubt the average home owner, is ever going to be bothered by a real pro.
The professional burglar, the one that can defeat alarms, leap tall building with a single bound and all that, seldom get caught, never carries a gun, almost never steals one, and targets only the affluent.
The affluent have the mostest to steal.
The average burglar is the idiot that might kill you.
Given that let me say that ove better than 20 years I hunted down and caught burglars.
Few were smart. All were dangerous because the were not smart.
I'm retired now and I will flat tell ya that if some dummy gets into my house at night the sucker isn't getting an opportunity to kill me or mine.
Now that we have established the fact that the average night sneak thief ain't all that smart, is perfectly capably, even willing to kill you for your goods , especially GUNS, and the fact that I've caught a whole bunch of them I can say with a certain amount of life's experience that most burglars that I ever encountered would knowingly go into a house with a barking dog inside.
In fact I can only recall one time that two buttwipes got into a home with a barking dog inside but the buttwipes knew the residents were gone for the night.
Yeah, many burglars know you.
No burglar I ever encountered would attempt a break in where the house was surrounded with that little manicured hedge with a kabillion sharp needles either. (privit hedge maybe?)
So a dog is indeed a very good deterent. Even a little yappy lap dog.
It will for sure wake you up so you can get creative about what to do in the event the idiot is sick enough, stoned enough, or just plane suicidal enough, to break into your house anyway.
I have absolutely no use for a night stalking sneak thief.
I have seen what the sick muthas will do to defenseless elderly victims.
Shooting the scum is too good for them but shooting is effective.
Old December 2, 2006, 01:01 PM   #52
odessastraight

Loui Loui The Attack Kitty

Here's Loui Loui standing guard over some unsecured weapons. He's also an attack kitty and it takes a strong chain to keep him off of those Pit Bulls and Dobermans he likes to slap around.
Old December 12, 2006, 06:43 AM   #53
nkielborn

dog.jpg

caucasian mountain dog.jpg

these are my next two dogs i already have a shepard and i think these two will make an excellent addition. the first one is a tibetan mastiff and the second is a caucasian mountain dog (the old soviet guard dog). my shepard is getting old hes almost ten so his time is coming to an end sadly but hes a good dog and i will miss him and for defense i saw him in action he scared person who came to the door when i had only the screen door open. I don't know if he could be topped so I don't know if I would get another.
Old December 12, 2006, 04:22 PM   #54
RedPhnx

Be careful with the caucasion dogs, those are highly aggressive dogs, not the best for a family pet.
Old December 12, 2006, 04:54 PM   #55
Hedley

My pooches

Here's my attack squad. The greyhounds are pacifists and only bark when they want to play, which is rare. Their personalities are more like little horses. Rudy(the big male) looks mean but is a gentle giant. His gal pal Birdie is even more quiet.

Edit- The window above the dogs' crates was where our house was broken into a month ago. We were lucky that the thugs didn't harm the dogs while they were in the crates.
But my fiance's dog is a little radar detector. She can hear someone outside within about 50 yards, and never hesitates to bark like crazy in the middle of the night. At 5 pounds dripping wet, she wouldn't be much in the attack department, but she lets us know when someone's approaching the house.

Last edited by Hedley; December 12, 2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old December 13, 2006, 10:57 AM   #56
John28226

Layered Defense is best

Dogs can be useful but are better as "first alert" systems; a crook who expects to encounter a dog may come equipped with a can of hornet spray or drop a cinder block on the dog barking at the bottom of the fence.

Fences, lighting (especially the quality motion activated type), locks and alarms as well as intelligent perimeter design should all be considered. A few years ago the catch phrase was CPTED - Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design. Don't make it easy for criminals to hide or to access your property.

Having a plan (not just for criminal attack but fire too) for emergencies and ensuring that all family members know how to execute that plan should not be overlooked.

Most police departments have pamphlets that help you secure your home. Normally they are free.

John
Charlotte, NC
Old December 13, 2006, 07:15 PM   #57
High Planes Drifter

quote:
it takes thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of training to teach even the best dogs to only take food from their owner/handler/master.
--------------
My friend, let me introduce you to the Fila Brasilio, a breed that absolutely hates strangers by nature :

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/filabrasileiro.htm

Try feeding one of these, and you may just draw back a nub.
Not your typical Bloodhound.

The protective trait in Filas is called Ojeriza, it translates into "Hatred and Loathing of Strangers."
Old December 17, 2006, 06:12 PM   #58
jweissg

Nothing says home security like 150lbs of dog...

This is my home protector. In reality, he only needs to give me time to get to my shotgun, but I sincerely doubt I could move that fast. He is very protective, especially when my girlfriend is around and is serious as a heart attack when he needs to be.

No need to growl, he just has a low rumble. A naturally defensive dog will not accept food when he observes a threat. You couldnt get Ares to take his eyes off of the UPS man if you had a filet.

40MM, I thought Ares (a Presa Canario) "turned on" about the same time -- nine months. I was wrong. Wait until about the 2 year point and you will notice a distinct and sudden change. It is nice not worrying when my girl goes for a run or I am late getting home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0044_edited.JPG (171.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0047_edited.JPG (82.5 KB, 41 views)
Old December 17, 2006, 09:47 PM   #59
Bradbx

OJ, I love the pics of the dogs on the couch/chair, our dog used to do that as a way of not-quite-sitting on the couch (which she wasn't allowed on). She was a black lab and dalmation mix, excellent with kids (liked to be chased by them while carrying a toy, she'd look back to stay just out of reach), and usually good with new people.

However, she surprised me once. We had a home inspector come to check out my parents' house, it was just me and the dog at home. He brought a biscuit... normally she'd run off to eat it right away, but she didnt like this guy for some reason. She kept growling, fur stuck up all the way down her back. she sniffed at the treat and took it into her mouth, but didnt eat it. stayed right there and growled at him, despite my reasurring her. That was with no formal training, so i think they could be trained to not accept anything.
Old December 18, 2006, 12:25 AM   #60
OJ

Quote:
OJ, I love the pics of the dogs on the couch/chair, our dog used to do that as a way of not-quite-sitting on the couch (which she wasn't allowed on).
Brad - I know there's going to be a lot of explaining to do when we get to the Rainbow Bridge because, after nearly three decades of Mastiffs, these are the first ones that have been allowed on the furniture. They both just back up and plant their rear ends on the sofa and, sometimes the chairs. The big fawn male surprises guests when he sits on my lap when I'm in the chair and sometimes, he sits on guest's laps - if he knows them.

Here he is sitting on the lap of a guest - his breeder - who visited us.

The brindle "little" sister (187#) is more shy - well, she's a girl.

However, you are correct - they don't take even treats from strangers - when Charley is offended he doesn't get to go with me - he won't even take a treat from me - he knows it's a bribe and he's above taking bribes.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old December 18, 2006, 01:00 AM   #61
FirstFreedom

Note to self: Don't break into OJ's house. My akita does that too...sitting her rear on the couch with paws on the floor - weird.
Old December 18, 2006, 01:00 PM   #62
OJ

Charley's a real lap dog - here he is in my wife's lap.

His size alone impresses all who see him. That's his deterrent value. His defense strategy is "Drown'em in Drool" or just squash'em by sitting on them.

Old December 18, 2006, 01:27 PM   #63
Vic303

Ridgebacks, I love our Ridgies!
I am sure they would defend/harass in the event of an intruder. I KNOW how much they can scare folks with a bark session! The red one is particularly territorial...

Old December 18, 2006, 01:36 PM   #64
45RackerTracker

JWeissG

Welcome to the forum. I'd hate to be around your dog carrying some beef jerky in my pocket. He might mistake me for a soup bone. You should invite some burglars over to your place, for a late night snack.
Seriously, that's a seriously great looking dog, and crime deterent.
Old December 18, 2006, 01:41 PM   #65
45RackerTracker

Vic303

When they sit on your shoes, it's to prevent you from leaving. My yorkie hides my socks when I get home and take them off. Dogs are smarter and more intuitive than even the "scientists and researchers" know.
Old December 18, 2006, 05:15 PM   #66
jweissg

There is actually a huge difference in the breeds of dogs and the drives that compel them to "defend."

Most of your shephards operate in a prey drive and are trained, through that prey drive, to "defend." I put quotes around defend because they are actually not in a defensive drive. Most shephards (most, not all) have relatively low defensive drives. These breeds are preferred as police K-9's because the prey drive is most prominent as they chase the bad guy.

Most of your "bully" type or mastiff-type dogs have high defense drive and little or no prey drive. Most mastiff-types are less likely to chase cats, squirells, etc because their prey drive is so low. These dogs are not interested in chasing the bad guy, they are interested in defending themselves and their's. Mastiffs typically require little training (really only need to be raised as part of the pack) to learn to defend because they are actually acting in a defensive drive. Once the threat is over (the bad guy has retreated), they are content to stay put.

The one notable exception is your game bred pitbull. These dogs actually operate in fight drive. They will often not disengage even when the threat has been neutralized. For lack of a better term, they are nearly blinded by the fight drive and can be tough to keep focused on the actual job of defending. These dogs will, however, fight and fight and fight and fight. No amount of pressure will but a good pit to flight.

Not a dog expert, just dog experienced. In case anyone was considering a dog for first defense.

Joe
Old December 18, 2006, 07:04 PM   #67
EEEZNOW

I have been wanting a big mastiff for about a year now. I am in Alabama anyone know where I can get a good one? I have always wanted a dog that weighs as much as I do!!!!!
Old December 18, 2006, 08:28 PM   #68
Bradbx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45RackerTracker
Dogs are smarter and more intuitive than even the "scientists and researchers" know.
Smart indeed. My brother-in-law had sat down to eat dinner at the "table" in the living room. Their dog, Jackson, comes up to him growling (just playing, very talkative dog) with a squeaky toy and squeaks it at him a few times. He reaches out to grab it and she backs away. She gets a little closer, squeaks more and backs away.

So a few times of this and he decides to play with the dog so she'll stop bothering him. He gets up, the dog backs way up to the end of the room. He gets down on all fours and then as he gets closer, she drops the squeaky toy and runs back to sniff at his dinner plate (at which point he corrected her ). The funny thing is, he should have seen this coming. Jackson does this to their other dog when he has a toy she wants all the time.
Old December 18, 2006, 08:55 PM   #69
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have been wanting a big mastiff for about a year now. I am in Alabama anyone know where I can get a good one? I have always wanted a dog that weighs as much as I do!!!!!
At the risk of getting off topic myself ( ), you might start here.

(English) Mastiffs are not for everyone. Their personality is much different than that of most dogs, and they are typically high maintenance (they shed, drool, and vet bills are out of sight.) The up side is that they are the most affectionate, loyal couch potatoes I've ever seen, and they've been rightly referred to as the "Aristocratic Guardian".

Mastiffs have a high incidence of inherited health problems, so be very sure to research your proposed breeder and the pup's pedigree. A well bred Mastiff is going to run you in the neighborhood of $2000. or more. Do NOT consider a pet shop (read: puppy mill) or back-yard breeder. Believe me, that road leads only to sorrow.

This is my girl, "Woodmark's Hi Dollar Cover Girl", at 15 months. She's 3 1/2 now and weighs in at just a few ounces under 206 pounds. Until recently, she would run and hide from a knock at the door. Now, coffee cups rattle on the table and pictures fall off walls when she barks at visitors .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 19, 2006, 01:12 AM   #70
OJ

Quote:
(English) Mastiffs are not for everyone. Their personality is much different than that of most dogs, and they are typically high maintenance (they shed, drool, and vet bills are out of sight.) The up side is that they are the most affectionate, loyal couch potatoes I've ever seen, and they've been rightly referred to as the "Aristocratic Guardian".
Capt Charlie,

You are right all the way - your "girl" is downright gorgeous with beautiful conformation and mask. We've had Mastiffs for nearly three decades and were active on the show ring circuit until about ten years ago when we called it quits for that activity. We showed a couple to obedience titles - not the easiest task in the world - and I had a large brindle male who was too much of a clown in the ring but, I did win an obedience trophy with him. We've had our share of vet bills in the past with severe dysplasia (elbows and hips).

Your point about the breeder is 100% correct - hip dysplasia found in as high as 20% in some recent years. These two come from long time friends who, incidentally are "Five Star Breeders" who check their breeding stock and don't use any for breeding until they have been cleared for genetically related problems - hips, elbows, heart, thyroid, and eye problems. Clearly, there are not enough breeders in existence but we in the MCOA are working on it.

Quote:
For the first time in three decades, I'm not the heavyweight in this king family - not even second place. The fawn male weighed 202# in October and the brindle female weighed 287#. I weigh in at about 182# - these have had obedience training every day since we got them a 11 weeks of age and their manners show it every day - as when we had an open house Saturday with many friends who are less than comfortable with large dogs.

As 11 week old puppies - 'We don't know who those people are or where we are but, we're together."

Now-

My being a retired surgeon probably helps some keeping vet bills down some but, it is well known, Mastiffs do have a problem with joint dysplasia and the number one consideration to avoid heartbreak is buying only from a really dedicated and honest breeder as we did this time.