The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 9, 2009, 10:23 AM   #26
Firepower!

"Why would this keep you from purchasing this gun?"
Because thats what made me lean towards Sigs. without decockers they fall way below HK and Glock!

"Putting a decocker on a SA gun is a bit silly IMO."
Did not know this was SA.
Old January 9, 2009, 10:24 AM   #27
HKFan9

I just wish they would make a Sig p230 in 9mm, I LOVE that gun, but cant justify buying a .380 that is bigger than my PM-9 when .380 ammo is weaker and more expensive.
Old January 9, 2009, 09:50 PM   #28
predecessor

If the price is right, I will add both the Walther and the Sig to my .380 collection. Not sure I need the Khar though...
Old January 9, 2009, 11:33 PM   #29
ezriderga

I do see some similarities between the Sig and the Mustang. Man do I love my Colt, my daily carry.

Old January 10, 2009, 01:09 AM   #30
michael t

I'll keep my 2 Mustangs Sig doesn't interest me Mustang hard to beat for a nice carry pistol. Wish more people had bought them Colt might still be makeing them if they had..
Old January 10, 2009, 10:04 AM   #31
David the Gnome

I'd love to have a Colt Mustang but for what they go for nowadays I can't justify the purchase. The P238 is an opportunity to get a gun NIB very close to the Mustang at a reasonable price and with a full factory warranty.
Old January 10, 2009, 01:08 PM   #32
Phantom Captain

Well I for one am all over that Walther PK380. Just wow. I know my girlfriend will love the size and feel of it too.

I'm a pretty big Walther fan owning a P99 AS (German) and a PPK/s and will definitely have to add this new little beauty to the family.

By the looks, size and weight of it it might even edge out my PPK/s for daily carry. Can't wait til they come out now and I can handle one instead of just drooling over the pic.
Old January 10, 2009, 03:40 PM   #33
2cooltoolz

Well, I've been waithing for months for the Kahr P380. Found them now pre-selling in the mid $500 range. Now SIG gives me another reason to wait. I like Kahr...but I love SIG!

Last edited by 2cooltoolz; January 10, 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old January 12, 2009, 12:53 PM   #34
LanceOregon

Quote:
Well, I've been waithing for months for the Kahr P380. Found them now pre-selling in the mid $500 range. Now SIG gives me another reason to wait. I like Kahr...but I love SIG!

This class of little .380 pistols screams for pocket carry.

And to be honest, I'm not that hot on carrying a single action weapon inside my pocket.

The last thing that I want is an accidental discharge inside my pants!!

Old January 12, 2009, 01:12 PM   #35
stephen426

I have to admit I'm shocked by the amount of interest in a .380 acp gun. I thought most people put the minimum caliber at 9mm. There are many who don't even trust the 9mm as a man stopper.

I'm curious how small the final product will be. If I can get a more powerful gun in a similar sized package, I would not go with a .380 acp.
Old January 12, 2009, 01:23 PM   #36
LanceOregon

Quote:
I have to admit I'm shocked by the amount of interest in a .380 acp gun. I thought most people put the minimum caliber at 9mm. There are many who don't even trust the 9mm as a man stopper.

You must have missed the thread about the NAA Mini .22 Revolvers being touted for self defense.

I pointed out that the ballistics from NAA's own website showed that using the most powerful ammo available, the .22 LR model generates about 1/4 the amount of energy as a decent .380 self defense load.

You basically would have to empty the gun ( they only hold 5 shots ) into a target in order to just slightly exceed the impact of a single .380 round.

Old January 12, 2009, 01:40 PM   #37
alloy

Quote:
I have to admit I'm shocked by the amount of interest in a .380 acp gun.
what interest, 11 guys on a gun forum? i admit its hard to find folks around here that arent devoted to the great street combat caliber wars....but we usually hang in these itty-bitty threads(infrequent as they are) and hope no one laughs too hard at our cap guns.
Old January 12, 2009, 02:32 PM   #38
trespass

380 sig

personally, I am impressed with the photo of the sig...yes, clear
resemblance to mustang, only much sharper in looks...
wonder if it has an ambi safety?...and 380 for defense? you betcha...
a well loaded 380 is often superior to a standard 38 snubby and
easier to pack. nothing against the 9's and are some fine ones out there...
but personally, I am more likely at any given moment to be carrying the
lighter 380...unless I know I may be in harm's way...then I carry BOTH!
Old January 12, 2009, 02:34 PM   #39
gilfo

I would like to look into it also, IF it was NOT a single action. Can't see ccw with a c/l 380. Just my opinion
Old January 12, 2009, 05:14 PM   #40
KyJim

Quote:
I have to admit I'm shocked by the amount of interest in a .380 acp gun. I thought most people put the minimum caliber at 9mm.
It's not about caliber, it's about size and having a gun when you need it. Many of us have to dress neatly with shirts tucked into pants with normal size pockets. Pocket carry is very attractive. A small, flat gun like the proposed Sig (or the Colt Mustang I carry now) conceals better in a pocket holster than even a J-frame. Anything bigger is out for many of us.
Old January 12, 2009, 05:37 PM   #41
Sulaco2

That picture of the Sig .380 if it is correct looks to me an awful lot like an AMT Backup .380, no? The single action was not my fav pocket carry at all....

Last edited by Sulaco2; January 12, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old January 12, 2009, 05:40 PM   #42
Playboypenguin

When you compare it side by side with the Colt you can clearly see it is a very similar design. I wonder if I will almost blind myself by letting that spring loaded piece under the safety fly out and hit me in the face if I buy the Sig like I did with my Colt the first tie I stripped it.

Old January 12, 2009, 05:42 PM   #43
stephen426

Quote:
It's not about caliber, it's about size and having a gun when you need it. Many of us have to dress neatly with shirts tucked into pants with normal size pockets. Pocket carry is very attractive. A small, flat gun like the proposed Sig (or the Colt Mustang I carry now) conceals better in a pocket holster than even a J-frame. Anything bigger is out for many of us.
Good point. My Kahr MK9 fits my pocket very well and I conceal it by carrying my wallet in front of it. This is with normal pleated pants. Flat front pants tend to show exactly how much change you are carrying . The Rohrbach 9mm is a bit on the pricey side, but you still get 9mm power.
Old January 12, 2009, 06:01 PM   #44
Shadi Khalil

Its a small gun but I wouldnt go so far as to call it a pocket gun. When I think pocker guns, I picture LCP's, Kel tecs, Seecamps, NAA...Why not make that a .9mm?
Old January 12, 2009, 06:29 PM   #45
varoadking

Quote:
I have to admit I'm shocked by the amount of interest in a .380 acp gun.
I'm shocked by the interest shown in most all of the off beat pieces...
Old January 12, 2009, 06:29 PM   #46
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Its a small gun but I wouldnt go so far as to call it a pocket gun.
I would not call it a pocket gun either. I refer to these size guns as "dress carry" since they are the perfect size to conceal while wearing a suit or sportcoat.
Old January 13, 2009, 07:59 AM   #47
LanceOregon

Quote:
Its a small gun but I wouldnt go so far as to call it a pocket gun. When I think pocker guns, I picture LCP's, Kel tecs, Seecamps, NAA...Why not make that a .9mm?

Some folks don't mind having a bulge inside their pants.

And you can always put your wallet on the outside of it to further disguise any imprint. The wallet will just stick out a lot further, and give the impression that you have a huge wad of bills on you.

Old January 13, 2009, 08:25 AM   #48
blume357

The lever under the slide would be the decocker...

two things turn me off... looks like they put a safety on it.. silly in a DA/SA semi-auto... and second and most important....

the design people got suckered into making the gun look like others... in that it looks like a shoe box...

I guess I'm a primadona... but one of the things that turned me on to the Sig 230/232 was the look and I still think it is a great looking gun... it's got curves and very few square edges.... just like a sweet handling woman should.

Old January 13, 2009, 09:21 AM   #49
hhb

Sig P238

The Photo Shop thing made a lot of people skeptical, but it was the way the poster was able to get a photo on his blog. Any doubters can look on the Sig Sauer website for details. I read a trade journal announcing the Sig .380, that mentioned a $450 MSRP, but I've seen the MSRP will vary from about $545 upwards depending on options, grips, sights, finish, etc. I'm looking forward to it.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:25 AM   #50
AK103K

Where do you see anything about it on their website? I havent been able to find anything.

A link would be nice.