The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2009, 04:08 PM   #51
Bill DeShivs

Blume
The pictured gun is basically a mini 1911. It is single action-the lever under the slide is a slide stop, not a decocker. This design needs a safety.
Old January 13, 2009, 05:34 PM   #52
KyJim

Quote:
Some folks don't mind having a bulge inside their pants.
Depending upon location, some even like showing a bulge inside their pants.
Old January 13, 2009, 06:32 PM   #53
PhoenixConflagration

Of the guns mentioned in this thread, I think I like the Kahr the most. I passed over the CW9 for something with a higher capacity, but in a little .380, how much are you really gonna get? I may eventually get one of those for times when I can't carry my PT-111 Pro. I'd definitely get a pocket holster or even a small IWB for any of these, but especially the DAO Kahr. I don't feel comfortable with an exposed trigger in my pocket.
Old January 13, 2009, 08:19 PM   #54
longeyes

A reliable mini-1911 is a cool thing. .380 is plenty at heavy-breathing range. Just think headshots.
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old January 16, 2009, 07:07 PM   #55
2cooltoolz

Found this on line today

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...e-information/
With this picture:

and this:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...p238-380-1911/

I'm interested
Old January 16, 2009, 07:51 PM   #56
Stevie-Ray

Well, since I can't seem to find a Colt for a price below the stratosphere, I'll give this Sig a look.
Old January 16, 2009, 09:09 PM   #57
David the Gnome

Courtesy of Ken Lunde's excellent website:

http://lundestudio.com/2009SHOTShow/
Old January 17, 2009, 02:45 AM   #58
PeterGunn

WOW!!!

Check it out... SIG is doing what Colt has failed to do... Listen to what people want.

The P238 is on the list!

PeterGunn
Old January 17, 2009, 07:42 AM   #59
LanceOregon

On my list:

Old January 17, 2009, 08:19 AM   #60
2cooltoolz

Like I said, I am interested. I am a SIG fan, and I have been watching the ".380 war" developing with interest. I've been waiting a year for the Kahr P380, but considering the early problems with the PM9 and Kahr's unexplained (pre-Obama) delay in releasing the new design, I was becoming concerned and decided to wait till they had been out a while.
The SIG P238 absolutely pushes my "cool tool" button. I love the two-tone and want it BAD!!
On the other hand, according to TheFirearmBlog.com's quote of the SIG press release:
Quote:
With an overall length of just 5.5 inches a height of 3.96 inches, and weighing just under a pound, the SIG SAUER P238 is the ultimate firepower in an all metal frame concealed pistol.
My PM9's length is 5.3", height 4.0" and weighs 14.0 oz. (empty)...and it's a 9X19mm.
I like all-metal guns and I do intend to buy a SIG P238, but my EDC will probably still be my PM9.

Last edited by 2cooltoolz; January 17, 2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old January 17, 2009, 08:33 AM   #61
alloy

Quote:
I like all-metal guns and I do intend to buy a SIG P238, but my EDC will probably still be my ______

slightly modified but mainly...dittoill get one also, eventually
Old January 17, 2009, 09:15 AM   #62
LanceOregon

Quote:
Quote:
With an overall length of just 5.5 inches a height of 3.96 inches, and weighing just under a pound, the SIG SAUER P238 is the ultimate firepower in an all metal frame concealed pistol.

My PM9's length is 5.3", height 4.0" and weighs 14.0 oz. (empty)...and it's a 9X19mm.
I like all-metal guns and I do intend to buy a SIG P238, but my EDC will probably still be my PM9.
So the same size as a Kahr PM9, and two oz heavier. That is one of the reasons why I would never consider this gun.

The other is that the Kahr trigger, while a bit heavy and long, is still extremely smooth, and breaks very clean. It is a perfectly safe system for carrying a handgun.

This little SIG 238 is going to appeal to 1911 fans, but I think that is about it.

In sharp contrast to the SIG 238, you can see in this Kahr comparison photo that the Kahr P380 is considerably smaller than the PM9:

Like you, I will stick with my PM9:

Old January 17, 2009, 09:33 AM   #63
hoytinak

It might look different in person but I think it'd look much better with a little "melt" job like SIG's SAS versions...those corners are just too sharp looking for me.
Old January 17, 2009, 09:34 AM   #64
LanceOregon

Quote:
I've been waiting a year for the Kahr P380, but considering the early problems with the PM9 and Kahr's unexplained (pre-Obama) delay in releasing the new design, I was becoming concerned and decided to wait till they had been out a while.
It is very frustrating when new guns get announced early, and then they don't show up on dealer shelves. Beretta's compact PX4 Storm comes to mind, as it was delayed for over a year, and still seems to be a bit hard to find.

I myself had been drooling for one of Browning's new stainless Varmint T Bolt rifles in 17 HMR. However, I never could locate one. Browning is yet again featuring it at the Shot Show this year too, as you can see in this photo:

I finally gave up on the gun in frustration, after visiting my local dealer this past week. For I found that they had in stock a brand new 17 HMR varmint rifle from CZ. It is their new Model 453 Varmint/Target rifle, but is in 17 HMR, instead of 22 LR And it has the most wonderful trigger system, including a set trigger function. It has the same heavier barrel as the .22 LR model, but it is also fluted, which helps it cool faster and also reduces weight a bit.

My 453 is so new that it is not even on the CZ website yet, yet they are already getting the gun out to dealers.

Old January 17, 2009, 12:17 PM   #65
GeorgeF

I love my Colt Mustang and look forward to getting a SIG to compliment it. Downside to my Colt is it is out of production so parts are not going to be 100% in future. I have stocked up on parts but like the idea of a 'current production' pistol as my carry piece.

Also I have let a number of friends fire my Mustang and they then wanted one. Until they saw the price they would have to pay. The SIG will scratch that itch nicely.

For those that have not fired the Mustang, it is THE most comfortable to fire sub compact .380 out there. Others tend to be too 'snappy'. If this SIG performs the same way it will be a big crowd pleaser.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:58 PM   #66
guns and more

Hmmmm, a (Sig) .380 that is the size and weight of a (Kahr) 9mm.
My Kahr is paid for, and a good shooter.
But that Sig sure is pretty.
Not a pocket gun in my book.