The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 27, 2002, 11:09 AM   #1
Gopher

Virtual Wall

http://thewall-usa.com/

A salute to those who served and a prayer for those who didnt make it back.
Old May 27, 2002, 11:55 AM   #2
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Just a word of THANKS to all my fellow Americans who gave
their lives to defend the freedom's that we enjoy today.
As we stop to remember each any every one of you; we
contimue the "WAR ON TERRORISM". We extend our heart
felt thanks to the many men and women of the U.S. Military
that can't be with their familie's on this Memorial Day.

Respectfully,
Ala Dan, U.S. Army Medic 1966-1967 18th Surgical Hospital
Old May 27, 2002, 12:18 PM   #3
22lovr

God speed to all of you out there...

in the front lines. The mantle passes to all of you who are younger and stronger to defend our beloved republic. Anything not worth dying for is probably not worth living for either. Our grateful nation says thanks..............................We all know someone who has given the ultimate sacrifice, we honor your memory this day.

Jeff the 22luvr, USAFSS, 6924th Security Squadron "The Tigers", Danang, Vietnam, 1966
Old May 27, 2002, 12:28 PM   #4
22lovr

By the way, the REAL wall is worth a visit...

I've been to Washington DC and been blessed by the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial twice. It never fails to bust me up and will again the next time I visit. It's like walking down into a burial vault.......like all those soldiers are interred behind the granite. It does something profound to you.....a mixture of extremes: gratitude and sadness.

On another note, how long is it going to take for our GI generation to be honored with their own WW II memorial?

My old unit's website.......

http://6924ss.homestead.com/
Old May 27, 2002, 01:00 PM   #5
coonan357

thanks Gopher
I looked up my Late uncle and found out where he is listed on the wall , plus some other info , I have never visted the capitol but now I have a reason to. I went to the cemetary this morning . still all runny eyed .

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old May 27, 2002, 05:19 PM   #6
CrociJA

22lovr-

No offense. But I tend to see all war memorials as being for every soldier, seaman, airman and marine.
When I grew up in Michigan, in front of the old high school they had a memorial to all of the soldiers from Plymouth, who died in WWI.
I remember that memorial maybe more vividly than any other. Bronze stars on a slab of rock. Time had taken its toll on the monument and I doubt anyone even remembered the men, let alone the family names.
Yes the soldiers from WWII got there piece of rock, but what about the men who fought or died in Korea? Cambodia? Iran? Lebanon? Grenada? Panama? Iraq? Israel?
I look at Memorial Day as a day of rest. I was in and frankly my two happiest moments were when I signed on, and when I was honorably discharged.
I can look back and think of some of the good times I had, and some of the crap we had to undergo.
But one thing I will always do is appreciate the service rendered both in peacetime and war by my fellow countrymen.
I think if I ever went back to Plymouth I would look at the simple and somehow frail monument a little differently.
But even as I think of it, what about all those who fell before WWI?
I think Memorial Day is just fine the way it is, as long as people take a little time to remember what it stands for. Even if it's just going to your local war memorial or even reading "Flanders Field".

Thanks guys!

Jon
Old May 27, 2002, 06:29 PM   #7
PKAY

May God bless every mother's son (and daughter) who has worn the uniform of the military services of the United States of America. And to the "new guys" fighting this necessary war against terror, our thoughts and prayers go out to you.

And to my brothers who didn't return on the Freedom Bird, may the Good Lord rest your immortal souls as I give thanks for your sacrifice. All gave some. Some gave all.

P. Kneisel
2bn, 94th Arty
LZ Nancy, Evans, Dong Ha
1969-1970
Old May 27, 2002, 09:16 PM   #8
Ed Brunner

Certainly not too early...

If I am able, I plan to spend Memorial Day 2003 in Washington, DC, doing this event;
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5975/

UNTIL IT'S OVER!

Ed
Old May 28, 2002, 08:04 AM   #9
22lovr

no offense taken.....

CrociJA: I totally agree with you. What did I do on Memorial Day? I worked. A goodly number of my veteran buddies also worked. That evening, I got out my late father's memorabilia and looked through all of it. I thought of all the "grunts" on the front lines of America's wars who fell and died wondering if they had made any difference. They did.
Old May 28, 2002, 08:49 AM   #10
coati

The Wall

I've had the honor of visiting the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial recently. It is a moving and humbling tribute to those who served and died.

I was a youngster during Vietnam; I know people who fought and lost friends and relatives in Southeast Asia. It wasn't until I went to The Wall that I began to sense the great meaning that the memorial has for those closely affected by the conflict.

A visitor sees pictures, newspaper clippings, and personal articles left by those who remember. You ask yourself if it's the first time they've been there and touched the name, or if by leaving what seems to be a long-cherished item that it's a release or a healing that is taking place only now.

Men and women kneel and weep; they're all ages. For a brother? A son? A best friend? You want to ask but don't: you know you're seeing a sacred moment in someone's life, and leave them with their time alone. Even without the loss of someone close, I cried as well. The Memorial is a weight we all bear.

God bless those who died in service, and bless you all who served and still serve.