The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 13, 2006, 06:11 AM   #1
prime8

Best Bang 4 The Buck at 1k?

Im considering getting involved in long range shotting and competitions. Ive heard various oppinions from my buddies, but your comm. seems very knowlegable, so I now pose you with the idea.
Old February 13, 2006, 08:41 AM   #2
Will Fennell

???

What to get COMPLETELY depends on what type of competitions you plan on entering......Entering rifle "competitions" can be very specific, not very general, about rifle selelction. My suggestion would be to attend a couple of the types of competitions you are considering first, then decide.

Good shooting!
Old February 13, 2006, 11:42 AM   #3
prime8

re

I said I was considering it... I could use any and all info on the topic. Ive fired at 800 before in the military, but it wasnt in a comp nature. I just really enjoy the skill, precision, dicipline, and feel of a well placed shot. I have no experience in comp, but Id love to try!
Old February 13, 2006, 04:09 PM   #4
joshua

I say this nicely and no mean to offend you. First off you need to get your feet semi wet. Go see a competition ask folks what type of competition it is and if there are certain divisions. You are looking for the type of competition, what rifles are being used in what diviisions/classification, the caliber/round winning most of the time, and other supporting equipment needed. When you know what kind of competition you want to jump into then get back to us and we can probably help. We can't say go get an AR w/ a 8x twist because you might be thinking of bench class shooting at 1000 yards. Do your homework first. josh
Old February 14, 2006, 05:48 PM   #5
prime8

Point taken

After further reaserch I completely agree, you have to forgive me I tend to jump with both feet entirely too often..Opon further study I found no ranges over 500yds within a 120 mile radius.. Ive also priced and studied a few rifles that caught my eye and the price tag did too!! I currently own a colt ar-15 flat/ and a nagant m44. I like the power of the nagant but its to erratic with cheap loads and original sights. the ar is nice but I havnt joined a gun club yet Im still trying to find the right fit. Thank you gentlemen for your patients..
Old February 14, 2006, 06:27 PM   #6
Pointer

Long range means different things to different people...

The hunter sees 250 plus yards as long range.

The bench rester sees 350 - 500 yards as long.

The serious benchers build specialized "bench cannons" for 1000 yard competitions...

You should start with 100 yard bench rest.
Reload your cartridges for accuracy and when you can shoot consistant MOA, then consider moving up to something more serious.

30-06 FOREVER