The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 14, 2006, 07:29 AM   #26
joshua

I own two Chicom Kalishnikov rifles and I am not about to throw sand in the receiver and fire away with them. Lots of weird things happen when you throw abrasive medium in the working parts of a gun. I like to keep my guns clean and scratch free as much as I can, so when I do call upon them to do their part they will function as intended. I have to give it to the Kalishnikov, it is one reliable muther. josh
Old February 14, 2006, 02:43 PM   #27
MTMilitiaman

On other other hand, having a rifle go over 2000 rounds before the afermentioned test with only having the receiver wiped down 2 or 3 times, and blowing through the sand test like it was nothing, really gives one confidence in the capabilities of his rifle. Like I stated before, the WASR is primarily a learning experience for me. I am trying to learn the system so I am not beyond testing it to figure out what it is capable of in my hands.

I agree it isn't advisable to do on a regular basis, and I certainly wouldn't subject an AR to such treatment, not because I favor them, but because it would be embarassing for the rifle and would probably end very badly for it. But I trust my rifle more now cause the chances of it having that much sand in the receiver again is slim to none, but if it happens, I know I can keep chugging away.

And like I said, it is just happy not to be buried under a rice patty somewhere.
Old February 14, 2006, 04:11 PM   #28
TPAW

Get an SKS, more accurate than an AK, it's cheap, about $150.00, and shoot Wolf ammo, about $100.00 for a case of 1000. JMO