The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 26, 2007, 06:23 PM   #1
gordon29

another crow question

i appreciate everyones help in my previous thread...now that i know some new ideas does anyone know how i can get them to comfortable land i would like to start taking rifle shots instead of 12 ga.
Old August 27, 2007, 11:40 AM   #2
FrontSight

pretty sure they will land if it's an open field, no?
Old August 27, 2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Bottom Gun

It's a dirty trick and I'm not sure it's legal, but a piece of corn on a small fish hook on a length of monofilament line tethered to a rock or tree will soon get you one of the best crow calls in your county.
Old August 27, 2007, 02:59 PM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
a piece of corn on a small fish hook on a length of monofilament line tethered to a rock or tree
If you check under acceptable methods of take, I believe all states ban the use of live decoys. And the animal cruelty folks would want your scalp if they found out.

If you want to shoot crows with a rifle, get a good blind setup and set up before first light over a field and wait. Shooting crows with a rifle is fun, but they figure it out pretty quick. A friend and I used to shoot crows with our rifles. As soon as the crows figured out what the safe range was, we had little effect on them. They just moved out to 600 yds and kept right on doing what crows do. When we moved to a different spot and tried again, they knew exactly how far to move. Couple of shots, and then they were all out at 600 yds.

Shooting them with a shotgun as they return to roost is probably the best method I have seen of hunting crows, although an owl decoy is fun.
Old August 27, 2007, 08:47 PM   #5
SavageSniper

Plant peanuts my friend, and they will come. When I was a kid, my Daddy told me that I was ready to deer hunt when I could sneak up on a crow in an open field and kill him with a .22. Not one of the lookouts, but one on the ground. I have always wanted to stalk one and shoot it with a bow. Now that would seperate the men from the boys. I have tried but never succeded.