The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 4, 2000, 09:54 AM   #1
HS

Let's see....
Where to begin ?
Fired 50rnds of Magtech 180gr JHPs & 350rnds of 200gr IPSC 170pf handloads.
No jams, burps, mis-feeds, hangups or anything !
It functioned like it was designed too....
FLAWLESSLY !
For me, the gun shoot an inch low at 7 meters but for my l/h shooting buddy it was on target.
I must've been flinching/pulling down the DA trigger? Oh well, a few more 1000rnds should cure that !...LOL
7 meter accuracy was around 1/2" with 15 meter shots coming in at 2&1/2" & 25 meter a 4" spread was measured.
To make sure I wasn't having an "off" night, I got my trusty P-16 out for a comparison shoot-off & was putting them on top of one another at 7 meters & achieved a personal best of just over 1/2" at 25 meters !!!!
So it looks like I need some more LDA practice & I'll happily oblige of course !...grin
IPSC double taps were tried on a Silhouette "key hole" target at 7 meters & I'm happy to say that the LDA grouped 2" with me trying my most speediest DA shots, from a low ready position.
For anyone out there who loves the 1911 design {don't we all secretly ) but are uncomfortable with having to carry "cocked 'n locked", I'd definately give the LDA 2 thumbs up for a defensive firearm that can be carried with a round in the chamber safely. Also having a safety to render the gun inoperable is a bonus too as the trigger swings freely on the LDA with the safety engaged - Ala Walther TPH.
Any questions ?

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail [email protected]
Alternate E-mail
[email protected]

Old March 4, 2000, 07:52 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

Jeez, buddy, you're like everywhere!

Notice no one cared here (but me)?

Really glad your gun came out of the box right. Hope you don't beat me with it some day.

DVC

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old March 5, 2000, 02:42 AM   #3
Ford

How would you describe the action and trigger pull? Is the grip huge? I was interested in this gun but no one in my area knows really anything about it a drove me away from it.
Old March 10, 2000, 07:40 AM   #4
HS

Forgot to mention that my LDA came with a Factory upswept grip safety (The frame is cast to accept it, not re-cut), polished feed ramp & an extended ejector !
It now sports a full length guide rod & Para +2 base pads on the 3 mags that came with it ...grin
Couldn't help myself !...LOL
I can't duplicate jwp's & RayK's safety overides though....
Maybe mine (s/n DB 1461) DOES have the "upgrades" already done to it ??
P-16 mags work just fine in it & it's mags work fine in the P-16.
Now I can't wait to give the "sissy whining" IDPA guys at my Club a lesson in shooting as I will be not using my "tricked out" SUPER DOOPER "Race Gun" = P-16 with grip tape & a trigger job....LMAO
They'll prob'ly complain that the course of fire is designed for 1911 style guns next...sigh
Well if needs be, I'll just CHUCK the bullets at the darn targets & see if they bitch about that too....grin!

With a lot more DA dry firing practice I've come to the conclusion that resting my strong hand thumb on the safety is NOT a good thing to do !
Seems it EXAGGERATES pulling down the gun & by having a LOW hold I don't pull the gun down as much - I "know", MORE practice is needed!...grin
And for the LEFTIES out there, the LDAs safety WORKS in my P-16 but NOT vice a versa !
A little bit would need to be filed off a "standard" safety to get it through the frame, as the hole dimension is a little bit SMALLER than usual.
An ambi-safety WILL work with maybe 5 mins of fitting & a file !
Ford, the LDA has a 1lb "takeup" on the initial pull then on the final stage, breaks at around 5-6 lbs.
The grip on the Para is SMALLER than a Beretta 92 & is again slimmer than the original Paras of '87 vintage.
With the grips removed & grip tape installed, the grip circumference is 2/16" bigger than a Single Stack 1911 with its grips on.
Not a big deal since the Paras grips are really thin from the Factory !

------------------
E-mail [email protected]
Alternate E-mail
[email protected]

Old March 11, 2000, 08:59 AM   #5
HS

Range Report Part 3
Went & put a further 150 reloads through it tonight & again no burps or malfunctions !
After putting in the full length guide rod & another stock Para barrel bushing & about 1000 dry firings at home, I'm now shooting to point of aim at 15mtrs & I'm as happy as can be.
Most of the low and left shots can be attributed to the "nut behind the butt" & a SA brain coming to grips with a DA pull !
Even got some double taps that overlapped each other.... Big grin
So a low thumb hold, a check of the bushing forcing the front of the barrel down a tad & HEAPS of dry firing seem to has cured my low & left habit.
All in all a satisfying outing !

------------------
E-mail [email protected]
Alternate E-mail
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by HS (edited March 11, 2000).]
Old March 17, 2000, 12:00 AM   #6
Rock Hancock

Just put a P-14 LDA on lay-away!!! Waiting for my yearly bonus chesk to arrive to pay it off. It will be my first 1911 style pistol. I have always been a little uncomfortable with "Cocked and Locked". I have always been trained not to trust mechanical safties all the way. This seems like a great compromise. Plus I get to take upgrade with all the aftermarket parts. As I said, I'm new to the 1911 so please let me ask a question. What does a full lenth guide rod do for the gun? Is it something I can install myself? Thanks in advance for any replys.
Old March 17, 2000, 02:24 PM   #7
Andrewh

Perhapes this is a silly question to ask. No articals state it, and you did not say it out right, but is it a DAO? Or can you do a DA first SA next shot?
Old March 17, 2000, 02:29 PM   #8
Libertarian

I phoned Para-Ordinance and they said it is a DAO. The pistol can not be cocked in the usual 1911 manner.
Old March 17, 2000, 02:51 PM   #9
mckysdad

---

[This message has been edited by mckysdad (edited March 17, 2000).]
Old March 17, 2000, 04:36 PM   #10
vega

mckysdad,

Hmm, very informative.

vega