The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 17, 2024, 05:09 PM   #1
captainprice

Beretta 3032 Tomcat Loose Barrel

Just picked up a factory new 3032 Tomcat (Product Code J320126) which has a very loose-fitting/wiggly barrel when 'tipped-up'. With minor hand movement, barrel will rock back and forth which makes me think there may be in issue. If not, I suppose I would've expected slighter higher fit and finish from Beretta. Lockup is tight when barrel is locked into receiver/pushed down.

Probably would've simply figured they're all like this, however my older .25 Model 21A has absolutely no play whatsoever when the barrel is in the 'tip-up' condition. Solid as a rock and feels significantly more refined overall, leaving me slightly disappointed with the newest purchase.

Wondering if anyone has a newer model 3032 and may be able to offer some insight, would be greatly appreciated. Factory box states November 2023 production.

Thank you guys!
Old April 18, 2024, 09:25 AM   #2
jar

Not a problem.
Old April 18, 2024, 10:32 AM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Just make sure the frame is not cracked near the barrel pivot pin.
Old April 18, 2024, 01:53 PM   #4
Drm50

My Bro just bought a NIB TomCat at show month ago. He hasn’t shot it yet. I can tell you one thing. The 21a is sliding in fit & finish. Seems like they got shoddy about the time they did the threaded barrels and colored coatings. No more high polish for blue when they can dip it and ship it. I’ve bought 5, 21a in last year. 4 older ones and one Matt Black one. The old ones were slicker by a lot. Just bought another old on GB that is winging its way in. I’m issuing them out to the females in the family.
Old April 18, 2024, 11:05 PM   #5
Pumpkin

I had one that jammed because of a small rectangular piece of the frame broke off and locked up the slide. Sent it to Beretta and in fairly short order received a new gun. I sold it shortly after that, I live in Texas so it came to my front door.
The little gun had functioned fine up until the failure, I remember the DA trigger pull being really tough.
Old April 20, 2024, 03:27 AM   #6
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
My Bro just bought a NIB TomCat at show month ago. He hasn’t shot it yet. I can tell you one thing. The 21a is sliding in fit & finish. Seems like they got shoddy about the time they did the threaded barrels and colored coatings. No more high polish for blue when they can dip it and ship it. I’ve bought 5, 21a in last year. 4 older ones and one Matt Black one. The old ones were slicker by a lot. Just bought another old on GB that is winging its way in. I’m issuing them out to the females in the family.
The tip up function is probably good for them, but I've been debating back and forth between the 21A and LCP for a few years now and finally pulled the trigger on the LCP recently. Will be getting it this weekend and for all the light strike issues, those seem to be resolvable with aftermarket parts. The Beretta quality these days tho... if it's not a 92 I generally hear more bad than good, especially for the tip up .22 and .32's.
Old April 20, 2024, 07:43 AM   #7
Drm50

It’s probably a non issue but the experience I’ve had with Beretta 21a vs any small 22 including a lot on next tier up, 32 frame, Bobcat comes out on top for function and accuracy. Yet to own LCP in 22 but shot a couple and best you can do is point them. The 380 version is what I recommend to 1st time SD buyers. I have yet to have any complaints on function. It has practical accuracy for what it is for.
Old April 27, 2024, 08:48 AM   #8
Carmady

A few years ago I looked at a Tomcat that was on Armslist. Same problem as the OP's, excessive side-to-side barrel wiggle when tipped open. He had it for a good price, but I passed. I'd had a .22 and a few .25s with the tip up barrel, but none wiggled anywhere near like that Tomcat. Maybe it's normal for that model.
Old April 27, 2024, 01:04 PM   #9
JasonD67

Another US made Beretta QC issue?
Old April 27, 2024, 01:28 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Is the frame aluminium?

Very first Tomcats (early '90s) had an issue with the firing pin poppping out after being shot.
Second group of Tomcats fixed that fiiring pin issue but had frame cracking.
Third generation had thicker frames.

I wouldn't worry about barrel wobble too much if it's popped up. It's when it's in the down position it better lock up. Think of a revolver cylinder that can be moved when the trigger is in its posiiton of rest. No biggie. It's when it's locked up (cylinder stop up, hand forward) it better be tight. Same with Tomcat but if there is doubt, call Beretta, ask them and get back to us with what they say.
Old April 29, 2024, 03:52 PM   #11
Prof Young

Same problem as Pumpkin above

I had the same problem as Pumkin notes above. Sent it in for a repair and do to a huge SNAFU between UPS and Beretta I got a new gun. I didn't even try to shoot it. Bartered it off at the LGS for a Ruger Charger. I think the idea of the Tomcat is fine, but the execution has problems.

Life is good
Prof Young
Old April 29, 2024, 07:07 PM   #12
amd6547

I’m a big Beretta fan, but for a pocket .32acp, I like the thin, light Keltec P32.
Old May 2, 2024, 05:58 AM   #13
captainprice

Called Beretta CS the other day and the rep seemed to know more about the issue than I was expecting - gave the standard 'send it in if you want and we'll take a look' response, so I doubt it's something they're too concerned about in regards to safety/function. Slide definitely locks up solid and there doesn't appear to be anything else inherently wrong with the gun (no frame cracks, pins backing out, etc) so will probably elect to forego warranty service for now.

All of these responses really helped. Thank you again to everyone, much appreciated!