The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 13, 2007, 07:38 AM   #1
wilkerr1

Spotting Scope Recommendations?

Hi All,
Looking for Spotting Scope recommendations. Price range $1 to $200. Mainly will be used for range shooting up to 500 yards, but generally will only be used for 100/200 yards .223 and 17HMR spotting.
Old May 13, 2007, 07:58 AM   #2
robc

Winchester makes three models. I have the most expensive and my dad has the mid-priced one. Mine works fine for .30 holes out to 400 yds in normal light. If I wanna see .22 holes at those distances I have to mess with the focus and really strain. Both came with nice cases. I can keep lots of other crap (targets, lens cleaner, pens, ruler, stapler, bipod, bore site, etc.) in mine. Keep in mind, at that price range you really just can't get glass that's super good. If you plan on making .22 holes at great distances, you may want to save up and get better glass.
Old May 13, 2007, 09:01 AM   #3
ammo.crafter

Take a look at the compact Burris models on ebay. I just bought one for $59.00 and it's perfectly clear and adjusts with ease. A real steal!
Old May 13, 2007, 10:21 AM   #4
FirstFreedom

I would strongly suggest reading over this discussion carefully, where we recently discussed same on TFL:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ferrerid=36767

In addition to what is discussed there, for under $200, I'd also have to recommend considering the Oberwerk 12 & 36x70mm bino spotter:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/oberwerk-12-36x70.html

If you get that Oberwerk, you have to order this too with it, to make it fit on your tripod:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/obrwrk-hd-btt-la.html
Old May 13, 2007, 11:47 AM   #5
wilkerr1

Thank you all for the advice. The other thread mentioned gave some great examples also. If anyone else have favorites, please let me know. Once again. Price range less than $200.