The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2010, 07:05 PM   #51
varoadking

Quote:
Why so much hate towards the Desert Eagle?
They are a niche' piece purchased by folks that understand that...and those that don't.

The latter group buys it because it's "cool."

Hence those who are more savy look down at the piece and those owners as posers, for the lack of a better term...

Think spinners on a Hummer...

Last edited by varoadking; January 13, 2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old January 13, 2010, 07:15 PM   #52
BusGunner007

The only thing I hate is when some moron calls it a ---

--- "deagle".

DESERT EAGLE
( and its 'brotha from anotha Motha', the SuperRedhawk )
Nothin' like a nice pair of 44's, I always say!

Last edited by BusGunner007; January 14, 2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old January 13, 2010, 09:47 PM   #53
Beentown71

It is too gaudy for me. I don't own any purple suits either

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old January 13, 2010, 09:53 PM   #54
Nydhog502

Quote:
They are a niche' piece purchased by folks that understand that...and those that don't.

The latter group buys it because it's "cool."

Hence those who are more savy look down at the piece and those owners as posers, for the lack of a better term...

Think spinners on a Hummer...
So what you're saying is: I don't find it to be a niche piece, nor that it's "cool". I just enjoy shooting it very much and have been thoroughly intrigued by it for years. So because of this fact: I am not gun savvy and I am comparable to a "gangster" with spinners on his Hummer? Wow so what you basically did is say "I'm right about this gun and there are only two people who buy it" and lump anyone into that category who doesn't feel the same as you. Which, in doing so, essentially call myself and others who just plain old enjoy the gun "Gangsters" or "posers".

You are someone I would not want to be around, nor shoot with, if just because I enjoy a gun that doesn't fit into your two categories makes me a dullard by your standards.
Old January 13, 2010, 09:59 PM   #55
Maser

Well, even though I favor revolvers over autos, the .50AE Desert Eagle with gold finish is my dream gun to own. I think the biggest complaint people have with it is the overly large grip. My dad has the black .357 Mag version and I love shooting it. I look forward to October when I turn 21!
Old January 13, 2010, 10:46 PM   #56
raftman

Don't hate them, but definitely not a fan either. The Desert Eagle is uglier than sin, expensive, garish and impractical. It's an unnecessary novelty/range toy that, in my opinion, is intended for those who are into conspicuous consumption. Yeah, it's your money you can do with it as you please, but I've always believed if you waste money, there will come a time when you wish you hadn't.

Maybe me view is slanted for being someone who doesn't have the money for expensive novelties, but at least my tastes match my income and I've never even once been late on a bill, nor had to go hungry because of some toy that I just wanted to have.
Old January 13, 2010, 11:24 PM   #57
Nydhog502

Fair enough outlook, Raft. If I wasn't 100% certain I could afford this gun or any other gun (or ANYTHING for that matter) without risking me having no money for a bill or food or whatever, I wouldn't buy it. My fiancé and I are just lucky I guess. Honestly, the reason we do have this money is thanks to a settlement.
Old January 14, 2010, 12:37 AM   #58
SAA GunSlinger

I love my desert eagle .50 AE great shooting gun, i love the mechanics and the design, shoots well! Ive been collecting large bore hand guns for some time now and i have many in my collection. So shooting the .50 AE is no problem but as you said i have heard and seen alot of people hate the desert eagle call it (an overpriced piece of junk) I think its got a great design, awsome power, good accuracy, fantastic reliability, the only problem i have with it, is i just wish it was cheaper to shoot but like its been said before i think alof of firearms enthusiast see alot of people with them that have no knowledge on firearms and know darn well that those people just bought them because they thought they looked Cool, or gangsta! Giving other firearm enthusiast a bad rep. Becuz ill be honest i do hate it when i go the range and i see a bunch of gangsta wanna bes posing with there guns and shooting them sideways like a bunch of fools, its ppl like that, that give the desert eagle a bad name. Other then that i think the desert eagle is a fantastic firearm and i would suggest it to any largebore hand gun enthusiast. Always remember one mans trash is another mans treasure! Just because some people enjoy it, doesnt mean that other people have to!

Last edited by SAA GunSlinger; January 14, 2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old January 14, 2010, 05:49 AM   #59
varoadking

Quote:
You are someone I would not want to be around, nor shoot with...
I don't recall inviting you...
Old January 14, 2010, 06:46 AM   #60
JackL

I'd probably take a lot more personal interest in the DE if its grips weren't so obviously too bleepin' fat for me. But looking at it, I can't help wondering whether an appropriately modified version of that action could be used as the basis for a pretty nifty carbine. That'd have a fair chance of becoming the 'Thumper' envisioned by the late Col. Cooper.
Old January 14, 2010, 08:34 AM   #61
Skans

Quote:
It's an unnecessary novelty/range toy that, in my opinion,
Other than my Glock 17 and an old 30-06, all of my guns are unnecessary novelty/range toys......that is at least the ones that aren't just safe queens!

Here's the thing with the Desert Eagle. In more recent times, the Deagle (and I'm one of those guys that don't mind it being called a Deagle) has become somewhat of a status symbol among gangsta types. I happened to see one of these gangsta types with a Deagle conspicuously stuffed down his baggy pants at the last gun show I attended. Yes, he looked like a dope.

Before gangsta types discovered Deagles, the movies overused them, probably because they show up better on the movie screen.

But, there's at least two other groups of folks who like Desert Eagles: 1) those that like the design and mechanics of them and enjoy occasionally shooting their Desert Eagle perhaps just at paper bowling pins, etc; and 2) those that use them for hunting. I happen to fall in the first catagory, as I've never really understood the sport of handgun hunting (nothing against it - just don't know much about it)

I actually like the look of the basic flat black finish on the Desert Eagle. Most of the other flashy finishes don't do anything for me.

I purchased mine when Clinton was in office and there was a real possiblity that the gun banners were going to ban more "assault" weapons and even large bore semi-auto pistols. In fact, I believe they were putting weight limits on pistols, if I recall correctly - so I figured it was now or never and purchased a Deagle along with some other things I thought might get banned. Would I buy a Deagle today? Hmmmm, maybe, but not at the going price - I might pick up an older Mark VII or even a used XIX if I could get it for under $800.

Last edited by Skans; January 14, 2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old January 14, 2010, 09:57 AM   #62
The_Browncoat

i think they are ugly as all getup and dont have a particular need/want for one, honestly if given one id sell it to help finance a third of a Ed Brown or something

Captain Malcom Reynolds from Serenity
Old January 14, 2010, 12:28 PM   #63
Phantom Captain

I have a nice one in the brushed and polished chrome finish and .50 cal for sale in the WTS section! Great deal too check it out!

<shameless plus>
Old January 14, 2010, 08:22 PM   #64
Nydhog502

I really enjoy some of the opinions of people on here. Especially the non-judgmental ones who simply say "Not for me".
Old January 14, 2010, 08:27 PM   #65
Playboypenguin

I hate it because...

...it is not available in stainless steel.

It is a completely impractical gun. I kind of think of it as the "gun for guys that need the biggest gun for reasons other than practicality" gun...but I would own one if I could get one in stainless.
Old January 14, 2010, 09:57 PM   #66
Drummer101

It does what it is meant to do really well, what ever that is (hunting, show, range toy...)
Old January 14, 2010, 10:26 PM   #67
Nydhog502

It does loud noises and huge rounds of ammo well as well lol
Old January 15, 2010, 12:08 AM   #68
Tony R

I have one in the 50AE. My biggest complaint with it is that it jambs too much. I love the gun and it is one of my wife's favorites to shoot. I enjoy seeing the looks on my friends faces when I pull it out to let them shoot. If it was more dependable I would gladly take it out hunting with me.
Old January 15, 2010, 08:39 AM   #69
Skans

my DE .44 magnum is perfectly reliable with one exception - it doesn't like that CCI aluminum crap. Those loads (or at least the ones I was shooting) were simply too weak to cycle the action. It's no more impractical for home defense than using a shotgun, AK, or AR15.
Old January 15, 2010, 09:18 AM   #70
KCabbage

Thou shalt not hate thy Eagle!

I've owned two now. My first one, a black Mark VII .44 which I just sold for $800 was extremely reliable, but was too ugly for my taste. I switched up to a polished chrome Mark XIX which is a BEAUTY, however, the mag/recoil springs are too weak for the gun to function reliably so I changed out the recoil springs and I should be getting my mag springs today as long as FedEx stays on schedule.

Recoil in the .44 isn't anything to complain about. I like to think of it as a +P+ .45ACP. Follow up shots are a cinch as well. A great home defense tool if you ask me. Sure it's BOOM is thunderous, but I don't think it's any louder than my 12 gauge. Also, with the right loads you have lots of power without fear of overpenetration.
Old January 15, 2010, 09:24 AM   #71
KCabbage

Disco, it looks as if your rear sight is backwards.

Skans, i've heard the Eagle tends to rip case heads off when using Blazer. Have you had this problem?
Old January 15, 2010, 09:43 AM   #72
Skans

Quote:
Skans, i've heard the Eagle tends to rip case heads off when using Blazer. Have you had this problem?
I shot two boxes of CCI Blazer .44 through it. It did not rip the case head off of any of the cartridges - but it was very unreliable with regard to cycling the action. It would fire about 3-4 rounds then stovepipe.

I suspect that CCI lessened the charge in their aluminum cased .44 magnum because of reports of ripping the case head off.....which of course made the ammo just as useless in the DE. For reference, this was about 2 years ago. I haven't used any more CCI since then. Also for reference, I've used a variety of other .44 magnum ammo in my DE with absolutely no problem whatsoever.
Old January 15, 2010, 09:59 AM   #73
Venom1956

I too dislike the crowd of non gun owners that are filled with "awe" at the "Point Five Oh DEAGLE" sigh... Watching 20 somethings (because apparently Deagles and Glocks are the only guns ever) drool over it while I purchase a nice single action then having them snicker at my choice of firearm... So I tend to relate it to anyone that think its the end all be all of handguns or what not.

Secondly I cannot really bring myself to really look at it @ the gun store mainly because I would feel embarrassed looking like one of those 20 somethings I despise so much.

Also I dislike that GIGANTIC slide that comes back when fired... It looks like a piece of 2x4 hanging on to it and the triangular barrel is a bit much... I'd much prefer a sleek revolver.

I will give it credit for what it is, a nice big bore auto loader, but Hollywood and stupid people have tarnished it for me.

That said if I EVER saw a Desert Eagle that looks THIS good used I would snatch it up in a heart beat. Is that a custom job? separate slide and frame for the two tone effect or sold standard that way, what model is that? Love the wood grips. I assume those were added later as well?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 15, 2010, 01:41 PM   #74
Rembrandt

It's a stainless steel framed .44 that was only offered for a few years and no longer available. Had the front strap checkered and slide/barrel refinished in black chrome. Wood grips came from Magnum Research, not sure if they're still offered.
Old January 15, 2010, 02:29 PM   #75
Tucker 1371

I'd love to own a Desert Eagle (I too find the word "Deagle" to be annoying as sin) but my hands are too dang tiny to be able to shoot it well.

Quote:
At least the Desert Eagle actually can make a very good home defense weapon or even a good hunting pistol.
20+ rds of .223 soft point/6.8 SPC in a light recoiling rifle is better than 7+1 rds of .357/.44/.50 in a heavy recoiling pistol IMHO. A few people I know hunt/have hunted deer with .223s as well.

How did we start debating the usefulness of the AR vs the DE? I think anyone who calls either one useless is very mistaken.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Last edited by Tucker 1371; January 15, 2010 at 02:43 PM.