The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2010, 02:39 PM   #76
Firepower!

Hate them? Far from it. I have been looking keenly for one. Its a great handgun to own. King of Pistols, but nor for CCW at least for someone my size. Probably for The Big Show or Shaq!
Old January 15, 2010, 03:25 PM   #77
Silvanus

I know this is probably sounds stupid but I "hate" the Desert Eagle because there are so many movies with ultra professional super assassins that carry a DE (I mean come on... ) and stupid video gamers who think it's the best combat handgun ever (I played CS too, but I didn't use the game to gather firearms knowledge ) and then they tell you about how it was designed for Israeli Special Forces use or some nonsense like that ...:barf:

That's why I would never buy one, I don't want to be associated with these people. And I don't like big bore handguns anyway (even less in a semi-auto).

Like I mentioned earlier, these are not well founded and logical reasons to dislike this pistol, but that's my personal opinion.

This is the stuff I'm talking about:

Quote:
The "Desert Eagle" Self-loading Pistol was developed as a sport model, but it's high combat abilities called interest in the Israel Armed Forces.

Old January 15, 2010, 03:29 PM   #78
Silvanus

Playboypenguin, I think there are Stainless Steel DEs... Or is that nickel/chrome?) That would would actually fit your collection of handguns rather nicely

Old January 15, 2010, 03:32 PM   #79
=Wolfman=

If Demi Moore tried to fire both of those, she would die instantly.
Old January 15, 2010, 03:33 PM   #80
Skans

Why do some folks hate it when others call a Desert Eagle a "Deagle". The first time I heard it, I thought it was kind of funny - so, every now and then that's what I call them. No, I'm not "gangsta" - very far from it. If you really think about it calling it a "Desert Eagle" is about as silly as calling it Deagle.

Maybe I'll just start calling them D-57432's. Some how guns that have a letter-number combination are serious guns, while others are just toys.

Real Guns
P-226
P-210
S&W 5906
AR15
CZ SP01
HK P7M13
AT 94K

Toys
Desert Eagle
UZI Model A
Hi-Power
Springfield XD

Old January 15, 2010, 03:50 PM   #81
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvanus
.....I think there are Stainless Steel DEs... Or is that nickel/chrome?
Desert Eagle was offered for a short time with just a stainless steel frame, no stainless uppers/barrels. These can be identified with an "S" in the serial number on the frame.
Old January 15, 2010, 03:56 PM   #82
imp

I think arguing practicality in this forum is laughable. How many of you own high end $2K+ 1911's? Is that because its more practical than a glock? I would say most everyone on this forum excceded thier "practical" firearm collection long before they stopped collecting/aquiring firearms. I know I'm one of them....
Old January 15, 2010, 04:06 PM   #83
onalandline

The Desert Eagle is overkill.

Not my wife: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJjaj7pXsA
Old January 15, 2010, 05:03 PM   #84
Skans

Quote:
The Desert Eagle is overkill.
So are all guns that hold more than 5 rounds and are more powerful than .38 special. A cheap .38 snubnose revolver is all you really need for personal protection. In fact, you could argue that anything more than 2-3 rounds is overkill.
Old January 15, 2010, 05:42 PM   #85
hickstick_10

First off guns are great, ANY gun. Like cars, having a car beats having no car.

Guns and cars go hand in hand. Some are tools that get the job done regardless of appearance (think beat up old wagoneer and an old mossberg pump), some are flashy and accomplish the same thing (think weatherby mark V and diesel F350 with more chrome then paint), some are humble (think 84 toyota camry and a .22 rifle) and some just make statements to garner attention (think hummer H2)

An H2 serves no practical purpose, but some enjoy them due the attention they get from others and are willing to deal with the snide looks and judgements that may go with owning such a machine.

Same with the desert eagle, it doesnt really fit any niche of use, but its a tool to garner attention and enjoyment for the user.

Same could be said about this thread.
Old January 15, 2010, 06:31 PM   #86
Tucker 1371

Quote:
I think arguing practicality in this forum is laughable. How many of you own high end $2K+ 1911's? Is that because its more practical than a glock? I would say most everyone on this forum excceded thier "practical" firearm collection long before they stopped collecting/aquiring firearms. I know I'm one of them....
Bingo, if practicality were the only thing on everyone's mind when buying firearms everyone would own just 3 guns; a handgun for carry, a bolt action rifle, and a 12ga shotgun.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 15, 2010, 06:37 PM   #87
AJD21

I have a .357 Magnum Desert Eagle in brushed hardchrome. Its a fun gun and is actually extremely accurate. I haven't done it but I've seen a number of reports including gun rag tests that have gotten sub 1" groups from 25 yards.

The scope mount, single action trigger, large size and weight and excellent accuracy is enough for me to figure out what role it might serve well. "Hint: Range pistol".

It has a novelty factor that is very high with the average person but no more than a AR15/AK/Assualt style rifle/shotgun or a large frame revolver in my experience. In fact anything that says "Magnum" on it for a handgun gets a lot of "Oooh's and Ahhh's" from the average person I've come across.
Old January 15, 2010, 11:21 PM   #88
orionengnr

Ummm....let me think a minute. Okay, how about...

--oversize
--overweight
--ugly
--brick

...mostly owned by fanboyz who don't know a damn thing about shooting (my intro to DE was a guy who said "Hey, shoot this! If you don't hit 'em, the flame will burn them to death!"

Yeah, that and the fact that I regularly see a gold-plated DE with an obscene price tag being pimped at the local GS...I'm pretty much done there.
Old January 16, 2010, 12:18 AM   #89
Willie Lowman

If I could find a used one in .357 I'd buy it. Thing is, nobody wants to sell the .357 ones, the .50s get a lot of turnaround.

They ought to make one in 10mm.
Old January 16, 2010, 03:38 AM   #90
Nydhog502

One of the things that really appeals to me is that I can fire: .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, and .50 Action Express out of it. I haven't seen anyone bring this up yet. It's quite versatile.
Old January 16, 2010, 03:51 AM   #91
Dubs

To me, if a handgun reaches a point where a second hand is a necessity rather than stability, it's just a poorly-designed rifle.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:21 AM   #92
BusGunner007

All these negative comments are having no effect at changing my mind...
Old January 16, 2010, 08:40 AM   #93
RCarpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusGunner007
All these negative comments are having no effect at changing my mind...
There ya go. That's the way it oughtta be. Different strokes and all that.

I'm guessing some of these opinions might change a little if they, say, happened to win a DE in a raffle or something. You think they would walk up to accept the prize with a sour look on their face like, "Dang, you mean I gotta take this hunk of junk home with me?"
Old January 16, 2010, 10:10 AM   #94
spodwo

Here you go Deagle owners - get all excited...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcrmK3jV-4s&NR=1

This guy actually does a pretty darn good job at control...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8KWW8i6Svs&NR=1
Old January 16, 2010, 10:17 AM   #95
Tucker 1371

Slightly off topic question but will the .357 Desert Eagles fire .38 Spl? Same for the .44 mag and Spl?
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 16, 2010, 10:38 AM   #96
Skans

Quote:
Slightly off topic question but will the .357 Desert Eagles fire .38 Spl? Same for the .44 mag and Spl?
I'm sure you could probably chamber a round and fire it, but I doubt that it will cycle the action. I've had trouble with weak CCI .44 magnum cycling the action, so I doubt that .44 special would do it......at least not without using different springs and possibly enlarging the gas port.
Old January 17, 2010, 11:09 AM   #97
Charger Fan

Quote:
If I could find a used one in .357 I'd buy it.
I see a bunch of them on Gun Broker today, many of them are at sub $800 prices. Go get one!
Old January 17, 2010, 11:16 AM   #98
The Tourist

I don't "hate" that model, in fact, if the time was right, a good deal was on the table and I had disposable income, I'd buy one...

...as a toy...

You know, one to take to the range, hit some beer cans, take long(er) shots in gravel pits, etc. But I do not have a practical need for one.

First, I'm a bullet caster. I would hate to feed and reload their .50 caliber model. I might be more tempted by the .44 model because I believe there are still some deals on bulk bullet shipments to be found.

Don't be too hard on me. I have a Ruger 10/22 rifle that I consider to be in this same category, and I've used it that way for almost two decades.
Old January 17, 2010, 12:02 PM   #99
Doc Intrepid

They don't like cast bullets...

You don't want to shoot cast lead bullets through a Desert Eagle. Doing so will clog the gas tube and impact cycling the action. The manual originally was pretty emphatic about "no-reloads" at all, until it became clear that users would ignore this. Even then, however, reloaders were cautioned to use bullets that had copper over the base of the projectile.

I have one of the early versions from 1987, with the aluminum frame. Mine is in .44 Magnum, and has been completely reliable so long as you change all the springs every 3000 rounds.

The .44 Mag is a great outdoors cartridge, and lots of guys take a .44 revolver with them on various expeditions. As an photo earlier in the thread illustrated, a 6" or 8" bbl Ruger or S&W .44 magnum revolver is nearly the same size - carrying a DE is not substantially different from carrying a large revolver.

As to justifications, aside from actually hunting white-tails or hogs with them, where I hunt (in Washington, Idaho, and Colorado) there are two sorts of targets you might plausibly engage while hunting: critters such as bears and critters such as dumbasses who are guarding large marijuana grows hidden on public land. Here is a warning article that was published last September, just before hunting season opened up in the state of Washington:
http://www.tri-cityherald.com/yahoon...ry/708151.html

A .44 magnum handgun would be reasonably effective against either of the above targets, and depending on whether the range of engagement is close, might be more effective than a scoped rifle. Given the choice of carrying either a .44 mag revolver or a .44 mag DE, the revolver offers 6 rounds and takes a bit longer to reload. The DE offers 9 rounds and can be reloaded quite rapidly. Since carrying either one is basically the same, I prefer to carry the DE when hunting or on fishing expeditions.

(I have never played any games, so don't know anything about that, and I don't know much about gang bangers either so will take your word on them.)

If you want to hate Desert Eagles, thats fine with me. But for people who do a lot of hiking in remote locations, they work pretty well - or have for me over the past 20+ years or so.

People need to carry and use what they enjoy, no matter what it is.

Doc
Old January 19, 2010, 04:44 AM   #100
WhistlerSWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantonizm
I think in the game Counterstrike, the Desert Eagle was called the Deagle when you selected it from the menu. That might be where that came from. That's a pretty one Rembrandt. I could go for one like that.
You're half right. In the background of the game, there is a statistic console that says "Player X shot Player Y with Weapon Z". The files containing data for each weapon had a maximum number of letters, and could not contain spaces. That led to the shortened name "deagle", because "deserteagle" was too long and "desert eagle" had a space. It could have been the abbreviation "de", but that would just lead to confusion.

The Desert Eagle is depicted in basically every single computer game that involves modern firearms. It is usually a "prize" of some sort, a novelty that you get as a reward for difficult achievements within a game.

Rembrandt: Yesterday I won an online auction on a dual tone Desert Eagle with a 14" barrel. It looks just like yours, but seems to be based on the Mark I lower. I would like to discuss your experiences, so I would appreciate if you contacted me via private message here on the forum, or via e-mail (the_whistler [at] hell.as).