The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2010, 04:32 AM   #151
varoadking

Quote:
People who hate 'em? They're just jealous. Really.
Old March 12, 2010, 03:29 PM   #152
Bamashooter

I have shot them and they are fun to shoot. I dont really see where else they could be useful. Too expensive for a truck gun. Too big to conceal carry. If you put one of those big mag-lites on the front( if it has a rail) it might be a good night stand gun.
Old March 12, 2010, 03:40 PM   #153
Sturmgewehre

The Deagle rocks! When you want to drop some mofo with one shot in CS, you take the Deagle. Let's not mention that when you do handguns only, it's the blaster to have!

P.S. I can run faster with a knife.
Old March 12, 2010, 05:52 PM   #154
6onthehip

re

they are very attractive paper weights imo
Old March 12, 2010, 07:07 PM   #155
jag.a.mohan

In general I dislike it when video games and Hollywood popularize a handgun or rifle I was already interested in because I think it attracts inexperienced buyers for the wrong reasons. The Desert Eagle has drawn more attention to itself than any other pistol -- it's the biggest autoloader and it's unmistakable to 15-year-olds on screen. Dirty Harry did it with the .44 Magnum. Rappers did it with the "Glock .40."

Lucky for me, I've never been interested in any of those guns. I don't hate them. They're just not for me.

But, when I hear a younger guy talking about a "Deagle," I am inclined to believe he got his gun expertise from Counter-Strike (the game referred to it this way). But I try not to judge right away. Sometimes they know what they're talking about. Sometimes.
Old March 12, 2010, 07:17 PM   #156
SilentHitz

Quote:
My personal belief is that it's a "conversation piece", or maybe a phallic symbol of sorts.
OK, I confess, I only bought my DE to compensate for my tiny vagina.

http://k5fv.com/
Old March 12, 2010, 07:23 PM   #157
cwb

my buddy has the .50 and its fun to shoot, but i would not spend that much for one
i use to want one in 44 to hunt with, but instead i got a ruger blackhawk, it was cheaper
Old March 12, 2010, 07:23 PM   #158
w_houle

Quote:
OK, I confess, I only bought my DE to compensate for my tiny vagina.
We didn't notice you had one due to it being full of sand all the time
I just never got around to buying one.
Old September 6, 2010, 04:30 PM   #159
rimfire78

My Desert Eagle is more accurate, and a lot more fun to shoot than anything else I (or you) own. Those of you who bad mouth, or use the "impractical" argument, either can't afford one, or are truly content sipping merlot and cleaning your gold plated, engraved ppk's.
How about this for practical; you're never going to hunt with your XD, or your Glock, but you could with a DE. That's practical.
The chances of you EVER having to defend your home from intrusion are next to none, but say it did happen; an intruder enters your home and rushes you with a blade, would you rather empty your Glock 17 and hope you place a square one on him before he gets to you, or would you be better off hitting him once with a .44 magnum? - that Glock seems pretty impractical now doesn't it?
Posers.
Old September 6, 2010, 05:16 PM   #160
Andrmgic

I'd feel much more comfortable shooting a gun less powerful than my DE .44 in a home defense scenario or reaching for a shotgun instead.

Beyond stopping the threat, I'm concerned about my neighbors being injured by .44 magnum bullets that end up in unwanted places.

Particularly for those living in an apartment, surroundings are of greater concern.

It's great fun at the range, and once I'm a better shot with it I'll take it hunting, but it has different use cases than a smaller caliber handgun for the average person. If most people want to go handgun hunting they'll buy a less expensive revolver.

That said, the gun is a marvel at the range and everyone that shoots it has a big grin on their face. It bites less than my buddy's ruger sp101 .357. Due to sheer weight combined with gas operation, it is one of the most pleasant shooting experiences one can ever hope to have with a big bore handgun.

There's not another gun made that would make me give up my DE because I bought it to use for fun and hunting, and you'll never find a more pleasant shooting large caliber handgun than this one. (unless you reload or have a buddy that does, this one can be a con, too! Even at .44 Magnum, it gets expensive quick..)

I've had mine for a little over a month and I've put close to 500 rounds down the pipe.. taken it out almost every weekend and spend over an hour cleaning it after each trip.

That's a lot of expense and effort for a lot of folks for benefits that they may not be interested in.

I think that the reputation of the gun as unreliable and a piece of junk are unfair. It is pickier about ammunition and proper handling than many other guns, so it often earns a bad reputation for improper handling, insufficient lubrication and inadequate cleaning..

Last edited by Andrmgic; September 6, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old September 6, 2010, 05:23 PM   #161
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
would you rather empty your Glock 17 and hope you place a square one on him before he gets to you, or would you be better off hitting him once with a .44 magnum? - that Glock seems pretty impractical now doesn't it?
Considering the muzzle flash, and the recoil, I probably could empty my entire magazine before you got off the second shot.....and place all of them properly.
Have you considered how your senses are going to be after firing one round in your house without hearing protection. You will lose your hearing sense, your eyes will be blinded momentarily, and your other sense will be numbed. You better get him with that first shot...Now that DE looks pretty impractical, doesn't it?

Quote:
you're never going to hunt with your XD, or your Glock, but you could with a DE. That's practical.
Wrong again, I could hunt with my 10mm glock

Quote:
My Desert Eagle is more accurate, and a lot more fun to shoot than anything else I (or you) own.
Wrong again. More accurate than a Bob Chow .45 accurized Colt 1911 series 70, that can shoot 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards?

But who am I to talk. Go ahead, and after your video games, go out and enjoy your TOY!
Old September 6, 2010, 05:25 PM   #162
FoxtrotRomeo

Quote:
My Desert Eagle is more accurate, and a lot more fun to shoot than anything else I (or you) own. Those of you who bad mouth, or use the "impractical" argument, either can't afford one, or are truly content sipping merlot and cleaning your gold plated, engraved ppk's.
How about this for practical; you're never going to hunt with your XD, or your Glock, but you could with a DE. That's practical.
The chances of you EVER having to defend your home from intrusion are next to none, but say it did happen; an intruder enters your home and rushes you with a blade, would you rather empty your Glock 17 and hope you place a square one on him before he gets to you, or would you be better off hitting him once with a .44 magnum? - that Glock seems pretty impractical now doesn't it?
Posers.
Whoa! Here comes the forum beatings lol Talk about sticking up for your preferences...

Let me be the theoretical and non-argry one here. lol

There probably is some truth to that. Psychology is a tricky thing and I don't have to be a shrink to know that.

My story was that I used to be a gamer, I played with those pistols on games but to be honest I had other favorites that I typically packed when loadout was a choice. Modern Warfare (the first one) rings a bell, I was ALWAYS packing the 1911.

Then I bought real firearms. Then I bought the 460V Well, ammo is a female dog to find for that thing locally so I needed a heavy hitter with easier to find ammo. Well, while I was looking at DEs the salesman said let me show you something, I got a better deal than that, goes in the back and whips it out. All the bells and whistles I wanted and one more that just happened to come with it. It was a Mark VII in .44/.41 magnum (year I don't know), came with one magazine, a frame made from SOLID stainless steel (They were rare even when they were still being produced), black oxide slide assembly, black oxide barrel and trigger so on and so forth. It had an old set of trijicon sights on it that were target night sights (very nice in my book, no way I can miss, I can put it where I want it, just zero the thing.), and it came with an aimpoint laser (not my style but a bonus is a bonus.). Bore was like glass and I was sold. All for under a grand and it's a collector's item too.

So yeah it's a chunk, yeah it probably will print like hades if you try to carry it, yeah it's piston operated and picky about ammo. So why did I get it?

Because it's an overgrown target pistol, a fire spewing (I heart the 180 grain rounds), loud, obnoxious, angry, accurate as all get out, raging beast that brings the range to total inactivity until I finish and is one heck of a conversation piece. People say they feel the overpressure from it and that it shakes the indoor range I visit but I don't notice that.

It puts on a heck of a show and that's the whole point of it. That's why I wanted it.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old September 6, 2010, 05:34 PM   #163
Nnobby45

Quote:
My Desert Eagle is more accurate, and a lot more fun to shoot than anything else I (or you) own
OK, put down the Red Bull and step back!

Ah, Jeez. A rather subjective statement that stretches one's credibility where firearms experience is concerned re: accurate and fun to shoot. You might want to lose the (or you) part.

Last edited by Nnobby45; September 6, 2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old September 6, 2010, 05:39 PM   #164
aarondhgraham

They are fun as heck to shoot,,,

But personally, I can't really find one practical use for them,,,
That a more reasonable frame handgun doesn't do at least as well.

If you own one and love it,,,
Good for you my friend.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 6, 2010, 05:50 PM   #165
Rangetime

The people who often hate them are just jealous of guys who have everything they need and want something different! One of my buddies has a .44 Mag and it is surprisingly very accurate and soft recoiling compared to a S&W model 29. It is a hoot to shoot and we both would take that any day over a POS Taurus Judge. The DE is a quality piece and the Judge is not. A lot of deer have been shot with .44 Mag Desert Eagles and it drops them like a bad habit! Sign me up for one when I have the extra cash please!
Old September 6, 2010, 06:27 PM   #166
BitterTait

I don't hate them, I just hate the overuse of them in films, & videogames. If they were shown as a hunting or target pistol, or one of many in a collection, I'd be good. I've only seen them used twice in film where it made sense: Matrix trilogy. agents could control the matrix and ignore any recoil, reliability and capacity issues, and Elfen Lied, where someone needed a concealable gun capable of putting out a massive quantity of foot-pounds to defeat an opponent who can telekinetic stop most rounds. They get bonus points for having the recoil be enough to damage the agents fragile prosthetic arm.

Snatch gets a free ride too, if only because the "Replica" scene was awesome enough to forgive bullet tooth tony carrying an antiaircraft gun under his jacket.

That said, the Desert Eagle is on my list of guns to own, and it's far from the most useless gun on that list.