The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2010, 08:28 PM   #176
cannonfire

could be wrong

Didn't the Israelies originally design it as a military side arm? So it may be impractical to our (American) needs, but I don't think it is impractical overall. People have .50 BMG rifles, that's NOT impractical?

Don't have one, don't want one.. just arguing to argue
Old September 6, 2010, 09:44 PM   #177
DocDizz

I think the Desert Eagle is like an H2 (THANK YOU FOR FAILING, GM!) or a CorveStte. Those who are insecure as hell feel the need to get the biggest thing possible to compensate do. Those of us who can say "eh, small" don't. That being said, I have nothing against the Desert Eagle, but would sooner buy a .454 or .460 S&W as my personal phallic compensation. But that's because revolvers rule.
Old September 6, 2010, 10:04 PM   #178
FoxtrotRomeo

I'll agree Doc that it's like a Hummer. But owning one I'd say it's more like the H1 (the only REAL Hummer), in terms of weight.

However I'm gonna disagree on the compensation. The only compensation I make is if my aim is off (and usually not by much either).

And I own a 460V. I heart it too. I'm slowly getting into wheelies, but I won't hesitate to shoot a friend's wheel gun for fun. They are great especially if you have speedloaders. I got two for my 460V (and they're expensive too.) and it's pretty fun.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old September 6, 2010, 10:58 PM   #179
rimfire78

"I think the Desert Eagle is like an H2 (THANK YOU FOR FAILING, GM!) or a CorveStte. Those who are insecure as hell feel the need to get the biggest thing possible to compensate do. Those of us who can say "eh, small" don't. That being said, I have nothing against the Desert Eagle, but would sooner buy a .454 or .460 S&W as my personal phallic compensation. But that's because revolvers rule."

.... and if you already own the .454 or .460 then you're still compensating?
Your reasoning's insecure.
Old September 6, 2010, 11:23 PM   #180
MidwestRookie

i think its pretty obvious that people are going to hate on something that gets the ridiculous types of mainstream attention the desert eagle does..

the fact that someone doesn't like a gun just because of how the media portrays it says much more about that person than the gun, imo..
Old September 7, 2010, 07:31 AM   #181
cougar gt-e

Quote:
And that's not true of most of the other magnum class auto pistols ever made. Only Wildey is still in business, Auto Mag, Coonan, LAR Grizzly are all long gone. Rumor has it that both Auto Mag and Coonan may be returning, perhaps even as soon as next year. It would be nice.

Coonan is taking pre-orders currently. Delivery shows 8-12 weeks backlog.

http://www.coonaninc.com/products.php/pistol/cPath,5
Old September 7, 2010, 10:08 AM   #182
HighValleyRanch

AMT's version

Hi Standard/AMT lists a pretty big semi on their price list:

AMT - 400CB
Back Up (DAO) – Large Frame – .400 Cor-Bon – Stainless – Ported
Old September 7, 2010, 10:44 AM   #183
FoxtrotRomeo

Quote:
the fact that someone doesn't like a gun just because of how the media portrays it says much more about that person than the gun, imo..
Amen.

I bought the DE and the 460V and my best friend's dad was like "What did you buy that for?"

After me and my best friend went to the range and the vet Marine asked how I did, Big Will whipped out the target. He asked "What was it?" ".44 Desert Eagle." His face lit up and said "Ok, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill ,kill, kill, kill." "Yup he's dead, it's a .44, you just knick him and they'll drop. Nice shooting." All 8 rounds were head shots.

Funny how people change their opinions when they see what it does.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old September 8, 2010, 12:07 PM   #184
NickW

Quote:
Because it's an overgrown target pistol, a fire spewing (I heart the 180 grain rounds), loud, obnoxious, angry, accurate as all get out, raging beast that brings the range to total inactivity until I finish and is one heck of a conversation piece. People say they feel the overpressure from it and that it shakes the indoor range I visit but I don't notice that. It puts on a heck of a show and that's the whole point of it. That's why I wanted it.
Now THATS how you throw down, no regrets, no worry's.
Old September 30, 2010, 06:20 PM   #185
retiredcoasty

I recently bought a Desert Eagle in 44 magnum. I love it. It is fun to shoot and it does turn heads. I can turn it into a 50 or 357 if I want. Also, I live in Massachusetts. The government does not want us to have such pistols so that added to its intrigue. Also, no more DEs can be brought into the commonwealth, so their numbers are limited.
Old September 30, 2010, 06:41 PM   #186
LanceOregon

These people that hate the Desert Eagle must not be Demi Moore fans:

Old September 30, 2010, 06:54 PM   #187
mordis

I dont hate the gun, my only issue is with its gas system. It percludes the use of hard cast lead bullets. If i could use hardcast lead, it would be a great hiking gun for bear protection. Seeing as you cant, and non lead solids are horridly expensive.
Old September 30, 2010, 11:09 PM   #188
Deja vu

I have shot a few in the past and they seem like fun guns. The only issue I have with them is that they are not very practical, but then again most of the time the most fun guns are not practical guns.
Old October 1, 2010, 09:31 AM   #189
Jim243

Cool but Demi has too much clothes on. It's a cool looking pistol, but they are gas operated and hard as heck to find a holster for. I would just go for a GP-100 in 44 mag instead.

Jim
Old October 1, 2010, 09:53 AM   #190
spacecoast

Demi's looking way too casual with her fingers on the triggers and the hammer back.
Old October 1, 2010, 11:14 AM   #191
Lemmon

I bought my desert eagle used (44 mag) with two eight round clips. Quite frankly I was scared to shoot it. That pistol is heavy but extreemly accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I do not shoot it that much but like the original poster, I like to shoot. Lemmon
Old October 1, 2010, 01:59 PM   #192
LanceOregon

The bad guy in the upcoming new GREEN HORNET movie has a customized DOUBLE DESERT EAGLE !!

When one Desert Eagle is not enough to get the job done:

Surprisingly, comedian Seth Rogen was signed to play the role of Brit Reid, the GREEN HORNET. He got on an intense exercise regime, lost a lot of weight and toned up, in order to play an action hero role, instead of his typically loser/geek type of role.

P.S. -- In the new movie, Kato carries a HK P30, the handgun of choice for Super Heroes.

The Green Hornet himself, carries a lame gas pistol, designed to knock out opponents and make them unconscious.

Old October 2, 2010, 10:05 AM   #193
jaymce

To the OP: If you shoot it and like it then who cares what others think. I have seen the negativity towards the gun but in the end who cares.

In general what I am seeing is that most do not like it for the following reasons:

1. Heavy: Yes it is. See #2

2. Big: Yes it is. You are not going to hide it with out a heavy coat not that you would want to lug it around See#1.

3. Gammers call it the "Deagle": Not even worth addressing

4. Hollywood gun: BFD. Sure they use it. The thing is unmistakable. For those that believe this I feel sorry for you. Following that reasoning to it logical conclusion counts out, Glocks, ARs, AKs, Fals, Beretta 92s, Sigs, HKs. The list goes on. Enjoy your Sigma and Hi-point along with your old 22 bolt gun.

5. Too expensive: To shoot: Sure it is but again who cares. You are not bringing the thing to the range and pushing 500 rounds a day down it. To Buy: Less expensive or = to most 1911s

6. Not concealable: See #1 and 2. Would it make a good primary gun to use in all conditions and as an EDC. Hell no! If I needed something to conceal would it be my first choice. Again no. But with my build neither would a 1911 or any full size gun. That is why they make subcompacts. A subcompact does not conceal as well as a pocket gun. But both have their place.

In the end each has their own taste in firearms and what they like. If you can not see a reason, need for it then do not buy one. If you have never shot one then great don't shoot it and never find out what you have been missing.

My experience with one has been that it hits what I am aiming at. When shooting pins it will rip them off the table. I have not used it for hunting but others can attest to its lethality. The biggest down fall to the gun is the fact that when I bring it to the range it draws a lot of attention and about 1/2 my ammo get used by other folks wanting to try it. But that is part of what I like about it, gives me a chance to make new friends.
Old October 2, 2010, 11:30 AM   #194
varoadking

Quote:
Kato carries a HK P30
That's not a P30 in the picture you posted...
Old October 2, 2010, 02:13 PM   #195
44 AMP
Staff

Gotta love Hollywood. ALmost as real as comic books!

I wonder what they do to the feed system to get that double slide DE lookalike to feed?

Probably nothing, its only a movie. But in real life? Feeding both barrels from a single, centrally mounted (and single stack to boot) magazine? Ain't happening.
Old October 2, 2010, 03:36 PM   #196
spodwo

Quote:
That's not a P30 in the picture you posted...
Heckler & Koch USP Compact.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Image:USPCompact9.jpg
Old October 2, 2010, 05:00 PM   #197
vladan

Quote:
Gotta love Hollywood. ALmost as real as comic books!

I wonder what they do to the feed system to get that double slide DE lookalike to feed?

Probably nothing, its only a movie. But in real life? Feeding both barrels from a single, centrally mounted (and single stack to boot) magazine? Ain't happening.
I wonder how they gonna tuck it in jeans
Old October 2, 2010, 05:19 PM   #198
jokester_143

It'll also have amazing capacity, and surprisingly low recoil.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:36 PM   #199
Andrmgic

The problem with the Desert Eagle, at least in .44 magnum, is that it's too pleasant to shoot.

This is a gun that allows you to shoot box after box of .44 magnum ammo without getting tired or having your hands hurt.

It's fun, easy on the hands (I have reasonably large hands), gets a lot of attention and costs me a fortune in ammo.

By comparison, my buddy's Ruger SP101 in .357 is unpleasant after 5 shots or so.

That's the difference in weight and gas operation for ya
Old October 3, 2010, 12:50 AM   #200
LanceOregon

Quote:
Heckler & Koch USP Compact.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Image:USPCompact9.jpg

You are right. It is indeed a USP Compact.

I had just assumed that Kato would be armed with the very latest technology.