The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 3, 2010, 02:08 AM   #201
FoxtrotRomeo

Quote:
The problem with the Desert Eagle, at least in .44 magnum, is that it's too pleasant to shoot.

This is a gun that allows you to shoot box after box of .44 magnum ammo without getting tired or having your hands hurt.

It's fun, easy on the hands (I have reasonably large hands), gets a lot of attention and costs me a fortune in ammo.

By comparison, my buddy's Ruger SP101 in .357 is unpleasant after 5 shots or so.

That's the difference in weight and gas operation for ya
lol

I can tell you really do own one. Yes it's a black hole of pistols. If you don't watch it, it'll feed and eject both your ammo and money and beg for more.

That's why I only bring a limited amount of ammo with me for it. One of my best friends has a 4 inch Taurus Tracker (fun lil sucker). He dumped half a left over box of ammo with it and then emptied a whole 50 round box of .44 mag with his Tracker. Coarse, he's single, barely has any bills to pay, no kids, and gets payed like 20 bucks an hour not to mention does a steady diet of overtime and never passes up days of time and a half, holiday pay or days where he gets both. He's got more money right now than he knows what to do with.

Quote:
Because it's an overgrown target pistol, a fire spewing (I heart the 180 grain rounds), loud, obnoxious, angry, accurate as all get out, raging beast that brings the range to total inactivity until I finish and is one heck of a conversation piece. People say they feel the overpressure from it and that it shakes the indoor range I visit but I don't notice that. It puts on a heck of a show and that's the whole point of it. That's why I wanted it.

Quote:
Now THATS how you throw down, no regrets, no worry's.
**** yeah, it only takes the first round to make the range go quiet, the rest is just like the first, hand held shock and awe. Load it up and bring the thunder. I like getting the middle boothes so that everyone catches the sound and fury of that fire breathing thunder belching monster. lol The only thing more nasty I have is my 460V.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old October 3, 2010, 01:02 PM   #202
Webologist

Desert Eagle

Funny but I had one in the adjacent lane at an indoor range. I didn't think it was that loud, particularly since 1/3 of the time they were trying to clear jams. He used that to introduce his girlfriend to shooting. Luckily an instructor intervened and got them to rent a reliable .22 pistol and assisted them getting rounds on paper. That's something that just wasn't happening much from either one of them with the DE from all of 12 feet away.

I won't be buying one, since I really don't see the point, except as a conversation piece with teenagers who play COD. They're powerful on the plus side, but have limited capacity, are expensive, heavy and unreliable on the minus side. I could appreciate the power for hunting but would also like to be able to take follow-on shots reliably so I would get a revolver if I needed a hunting handgun. The capacity isn't that different, they're lighter, more reliable and cheaper.

Regards,
-w
Old October 3, 2010, 02:22 PM   #203
FoxtrotRomeo

Quote:
Funny but I had one in the adjacent lane at an indoor range. I didn't think it was that loud, particularly since 1/3 of the time they were trying to clear jams. He used that to introduce his girlfriend to shooting. Luckily an instructor intervened and got them to rent a reliable .22 pistol and assisted them getting rounds on paper. That's something that just wasn't happening much from either one of them with the DE from all of 12 feet away.
Yeah it can be fincky. If you stick to the list of ammo that Magnum Reasearch has (and it's not that hard, I buy mine at wal-mart), you won't run into too many issues. The older one's like mine may need the magnum reasearch tune up kit. Yes it's pricey but they're built like a tank so long term, it's cost effective, it'll be another 5 or 10 years till you need to buy another one.

Dude was going at it the wrong way and if I were an instructor, I
d have done the same thing. The point in that excursion to the range was missed by the dude with the chick. The point is to get the chick into shooting in a safe and responsible manner and not to show off at that point in time. Wait till the bug bites her for that.

Quote:
I won't be buying one, since I really don't see the point, except as a conversation piece with teenagers who play COD. They're powerful on the plus side, but have limited capacity, are expensive, heavy and unreliable on the minus side. I could appreciate the power for hunting but would also like to be able to take follow-on shots reliably so I would get a revolver if I needed a hunting handgun. The capacity isn't that different, they're lighter, more reliable and cheaper.
It's an 8 round mag. A lot of 1911s have a 7 or 8 round mag in the box from the factory. Considering the accuracy of my DE, I likely would need only 1 or 2 to bag a deer. As for follow up shots, I've found (and so has my wheel gun owning best friend,) that the DE has virtually no recoil compared to most (but likely not all in fairness) revolvers.

The DE is something you have to operate with the recommended ammo or a good powerful reload to really understand the beast. Just don't limp wrist it, you'll have a casing in your face. Treat it like any other auto, 1911 or otherwise and lock your wrist.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]

Last edited by FoxtrotRomeo; October 3, 2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: sentence errors.
Old October 4, 2010, 12:57 PM   #204
cw_mi

No hatred here for DE. I would love to have one sitting in my safe, waiting for the occasional trip to the range. Someday...