The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 2, 2000, 11:53 AM   #1
shunt

This may not be the most appropriate place to post, but I'd like some feedback from people who are sure to know about the concept of Jeff Cooper's "Scout Rifle".

Initially, Cooper stated that a Scout Rifle be able to handle a 200 kg (440 lb) target at any range which the shooter can effectively hit the vitals of the target, (this was later ammended to 880 lbs and a 300 yard maximum, making .308 Win his preferred choice).

According to one source, 1300 ft lbs of energy is necessary to put a 880 lb target down (which by the way is the energy remaining in a .308 at 300 yards). Now those of you who are hunters know that most shots at game are taken at much shorter distances, usually less than 100 yards. For my purposes, I can't imagine ever shooting at anything over 500 lbs and certainly not past 200 yards.

I have rationalized (perhaps incorrectly) that 650 ft lbs of energy at the target is the minimum energy necessary to put down a target of 440 lbs. or less. Good 7.62x39 hunting loads maintain nearly 1000 lbs. of energy at 200 yards.

I currently have a excellent bolt action carbine (CZ 527) chambered for 7.62x39 that meets most criteria for a Scout Rifle with a bit of alteration. But, before I make those alterations, do you feel that a 7.62x39 is up to the task? Does it have the power necessary to get the job done, the job being 440 lbs. at 200 yards?

Thanks for your responses.

Old November 3, 2000, 04:08 PM   #2
chadintex

I would say yes. Col. Cooper also stated that a .30-30 is a good example of previous rifles used for scout work. Not too much difference in the two. I would do it. Even if, later on, you decide it's not a good idea, then you still have a nice rifle. Let us know what you decide.

------------------
[email protected]
Old November 3, 2000, 05:15 PM   #3
ctdonath

Go read Cooper's "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak The Truth". That will answer your questions well.