The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 1999, 09:03 PM   #1
Rob62

Just realised that I don't know what the subject line item is on my 870's, or why it is there. I believe it to be the U shaped cut in the shell elevator. But I can't figure out what the usefullness of this cut would be. The metal that is inside of this cut seems to be very strong and not easily bendable if that is the purpose. Anyone know the answer?

TIA
Rob

RKBA!

------------------
It's amazing what a large group of stupid people can accomplish.
-----------------

Old September 24, 1999, 10:56 PM   #2
chucko

The Flex Tab Carrier allows the carrier to flex in the event that a shell would slip past the primary cartridge stop while loading the mag tube.

This shell would be pushed onto the top of the carrier and jammed between it and the closed bolt. This stuck shell will prevent you from pumping the action. This type of jam requires you to remove the magazine cap, remove the spring and push the shell back up into the tube to free the action. This type of jam can also be cleared removing the trigger assembly and dropping out the offending shell.

The Flex Tab on the carrier allows the carrier to flex enough to still allow you to pump the action and clear the jam.

Chuck
Old September 25, 1999, 12:11 AM   #3
Bennett Richards

How does one know if one's 870 has a "flexi-tab"? Also, With an 870 what is the proper proceedure for unloading the Mag without cycling the rounds through the chamber?

Thanks,

Ben
Old September 25, 1999, 12:49 AM   #4
chucko

You can tell if you have a Flex Tab Carrier by looking at it from the bottom. The older style will just be smooth sheet metal. The Flex Tab model will have a squared "U" shape cut into it. This leaves a metal tab in the middle of the shell carrier.

To unload a Rem 870 without cycling the shells through the action,

1. Turn over the shotgun so that the barrel is pointing away from you and the trigger is pointed up.

2. With the side of your right thumb, completely press in the shell carrier so that you can see the cartridges in the mag tube.

3. Look inside the receiver on the right side. You will see the Primary Shell Stop. It is a flat steel spring that protrudes just far enough to prevent the shells from coming out of the mag tube.

4. Now squeeze your thumb, against the primary shell stop, pushing it against the inside of the receiver. This will allow the shell to move past the tab on the shell stop.

5. Then lightly lift the rim of the shell over the end of the shell carrier and remove it from the receiver.

Chuck
Old September 25, 1999, 12:06 PM   #5
Rob62

Thanks for the info Chucko.

That's what I thought it was. But I didn't realize that it (the tab) was designed to be pushd down from the inside. I believed it had something to do with being able to push up on it from the bottom of the gun. Have you ever had to "clear" a jam in the manner you described by the use of the flex tab? I ask this as it seems like the tab is still *very* stiff, and wouln'd bend that well. I guess though with all the force that could be applied on it by forcefully pulling back on the slide it can be done.

Thanks Again,

Rob

RKBA!

------------------
It's amazing what a large group of stupid people can accomplish.
-----------------

Old September 25, 1999, 05:05 PM   #6
chucko

I have intentionally created this type of jam just to test the Flex Tabs ability to enable me to clear it. It worked great. I was able to pump the action and feed the errant shell. Though it did take a little more effort that it normally takes to work the action, but not very much more.

I don't own an 870 without a Flex Tab carrier so I have no baseline to compair it against.

Chuck

[This message has been edited by chucko (edited September 25, 1999).]