The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 27, 2002, 01:03 PM   #1
dZ

Sarah Brady on ABC chat, right now!

http://www.abcnews.go.com/chat/sarahbrady_all.html#new?
Old March 27, 2002, 01:10 PM   #2
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I just posted a question--noted that the questions are filtered through a moderator, so I'm being very polite and positive in asking if her experience with Delaware law will temper her zeal for gun control. There are currently no messages showing, so I'm not sure what's going on. The only message says the chat will start at 1:00 p.m. Eastern, which is long past.
Old March 27, 2002, 01:13 PM   #3
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Well, there are messages now, but it's taking its predictable ABC News course. Maybe they'll get to my question once the moderator is done lecturing about what a hero and inspiration Brady is.

>>>>>>>
Welcome, Sarah, and thanks for being here.
Many of our audience members praise you for your strength and courage in the face of adversity. They say your story is "inspirational" and that you are a "role model" for all Americans. Here are a couple of comments we've received:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR at 1:04pm ET
From Jane: "Thank you, Mrs. Brady and your husband Jim, for a lesson in courage. My father spent 15 years in a wheelchair -- my husband is a cancer survivor -- and our lives and faith are now, following the murder of our grandson several years ago, being challenged with the injustice of the American justice system. Your husband's lasting sense of humor and his words of advice: "Learn to duck!" gave me the first laugh I had enjoyed in a good while."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR at 1:05pm ET
And Leslie says: "I have never been moved to chat online with any person that I have watched on television, but I would like to tell you how very moved I was by your courage and unyielding devotion to your husband and to the most vital goal of accomplishing the Brady Bill. You and your husband are shining examples of what all Americans should be, and I hope that your interview with Barbara Walters will serve as an inspiration for all viewers. I wish you continued strength and good health in the months and years to come, and I thank you for your heroism."
How do you stay so positive?
SARAH BRADY at 1:06pm ET
I have a husband who is very positive. And in the long run, I feel incredibly lucky. I have lived a marvellous life. All families have ups and downs and you just have to learn to balance the two.
MODERATOR at 1:07pm ET
Now that you're battling lung cancer, why do you still smoke? Have you tried to quit?
SARAH BRADY at 1:08pm ET
I am appauled that I am addicted. I continue to try to quit. I feel that I will conquer this challenge as well as others I've been able to conquer.
>>>>>>>>>>
Old March 27, 2002, 01:28 PM   #4
dischord

This has to be one of the least user friendly online chats I have ever used.
Old March 27, 2002, 01:40 PM   #5
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I don't chat much, but geez, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Not that it matters. There hasn't been one negative statement or question yet, except the moderator asking why she still smokes.
Old March 27, 2002, 01:41 PM   #6
Justin

Question that I submitted:

How do you justify your endorsement of a 'cooling off' period to people who may need a firearm because it is the most efficient way of defending themselves.
For example, how is an individual who is being victimized by a stalker supposed to defend themselves during that 3 day period?

Let's see if she answers it.
Old March 27, 2002, 01:42 PM   #7
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I asked almost exactly the same thing, very politely. We know they've gotten that one at least twice. Whadya want to bet it won't be passed on?
Old March 27, 2002, 01:47 PM   #8
Justin

Posed another one...

What is the Brady Campaign's ultimate goal? At what point will your organization declare that enough laws have been passedsuch that a sufficient amount of gun control have been put in place?
In short, what topics would the Brady Campaign focus on if all of it's current goals were met?

I highly doubt this one gets posted.
Old March 27, 2002, 01:49 PM   #9
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Too late. It's over.

Live chat my chapped white hairy butt. That was a bootlicking session.
Old March 27, 2002, 01:49 PM   #10
gjviii

I have been posting questions since it started. I have posted about 20 polite questions and I dont expect any answers
Old March 27, 2002, 01:51 PM   #11
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Here's the entire posted chat for those who missed it and want to see it for some reason (masochism?)

Quote:
Tragedy and Triumph
Live Chat: Gun Control Advocate Sarah Brady

MODERATOR at 12:59pm ET
Please stay tuned for our live chat with Sarah Brady at 1 p.m. ET. If you have a question for Sarah, post it in the space below.
Welcome, Sarah, and thanks for being here.
Many of our audience members praise you for your strength and courage in the face of adversity. They say your story is "inspirational" and that you are a "role model" for all Americans. Here are a couple of comments we've received:

From Jane: "Thank you, Mrs. Brady and your husband Jim, for a lesson in courage. My father spent 15 years in a wheelchair -- my husband is a cancer survivor -- and our lives and faith are now, following the murder of our grandson several years ago, being challenged with the injustice of the American justice system. Your husband's lasting sense of humor and his words of advice: "Learn to duck!" gave me the first laugh I had enjoyed in a good while."
And Leslie says: "I have never been moved to chat online with any person that I have watched on television, but I would like to tell you how very moved I was by your courage and unyielding devotion to your husband and to the most vital goal of accomplishing the Brady Bill. You and your husband are shining examples of what all Americans should be, and I hope that your interview with Barbara Walters will serve as an inspiration for all viewers. I wish you continued strength and good health in the months and years to come, and I thank you for your heroism."
How do you stay so positive?
SARAH BRADY at 1:06pm ET
I have a husband who is very positive. And in the long run, I feel incredibly lucky. I have lived a marvellous life. All families have ups and downs and you just have to learn to balance the two.
MODERATOR at 1:07pm ET
Now that you're battling lung cancer, why do you still smoke? Have you tried to quit?
SARAH BRADY at 1:08pm ET
I am appauled that I am addicted. I continue to try to quit. I feel that I will conquer this challenge as well as others I've been able to conquer.
MODERATOR at 1:09pm ET
Diane Gutierrez writes: "I come from a family where guns were collected (my dad was a police officer and a hunter) but have never felt that they had a place in civilized society. They are, after all, instruments designed to kill and have no other purpose. The number of accidental and criminal deaths outweighs the value they might have in today's society. How do you justify that responsible people should have a right to own guns when the protection value is today more theoretical than realistic?"
SARAH BRADY at 1:12pm ET
I feel the serious problem that we have is one of public safety and what we need to do is reduce the number of deaths and injuries by firearms. The best way we can accomplish this is to keep guns out of the wrong hands. I support all measures to do that, including background checks, waiting periods.
I think that in this society, there are many responsible gun owners who use guns for sports, recreation and other legitimate purposes. They are not the problem. We must concentrate on keeping guns out of the wrong hands.

John David at 1:13pm ET
I remember years ago, you stating that you would not rest until all firearms were banned. However, in your interview you stated that you were not a "gun grabber". Why the change of heart? In addition, you purchased a firearm for your son. If I'm not mistaken, that is considered a "straw purchase" which is illegal. Can you explain?

SARAH BRADY at 1:16pm ET
In the first place, I'd like to clarify: I have never said I wanted to ban all guns. The gun lobby has misrepresented my position over the years in order to rile up their members.
Again, I'm working to keep firearms out of the wrong hands. I'm glad I have this opportunity to set the record straight.

I did purchase a hunting rifle as a gift for my son. This was not considered a straw purchase. He himself is not a prohibited purchaser. He could purchase one at any gun store himself. Under both federal and Delaware law, it is perfectly legal to purchase a gun as a gift for a family member, and it's done day in and day out throughout this nation.

MODERATOR at 1:17pm ET
Jane McGuire writes: "The Brady Bill was a wonderful step in gun control. Do you have suggestions for further legislation regarding hand gun control and, if so, what are they?"
SARAH BRADY at 1:19pm ET
Yes, the Brady Bill has done a marvellous job in weeding out prohibited purchases from gundealers. However, it applies only to purchases made through federally licensced gun dealers.
I would like to see background checks on all purchases of firearms. I also believe in a short waiting period (at least 3 days) to help accomplish the goal of a good, comprehenisve background check. It would also serve as a cooling off period.

MODERATOR at 1:20pm ET
Barbara Martin says: "I admire the Brady Bill, but would like to know what we can do about all these kids who have access to the family guns and shoot other kids. The kids go on trial, but shouldn't the parents also be held accountable?"
SARAH BRADY at 1:23pm ET
Barbara brings up an excellent point. When making a decision to have a gun in the home, the owner must take the responsibility for keeping these firearms locked up and unavailable to children and other prohibited persons.
Mandatory safety training programs would aid greatly in reinforcing the responsibility of the gun owners. Additionally, many states have laws holding the adult gun owner responsible in the event of its misuse.

These laws are just another tool in helping to reduce unnecessary accidents and misuse of guns.
Old March 27, 2002, 01:51 PM   #12
gjviii

My last question " Thanks for all the softball questions. No liberal bias here"

Shouldn't have expected much more
Old March 27, 2002, 01:52 PM   #13
astound

Brownie at 1:40pm ET
Dear Mrs. Brady,

What can the average citizen do to join your fight to prevent gun violence? Is there a number we can call? A website?

Brownie WW

:barf::barf: :barf:
SARAH BRADY at 1:43pm ET
I'd like to direct you to our Web site, which is "www.bradycampaign.org." There is also the Web site for my book, "www.agoodfight.org." We offer many chances for interested individuals to get involved and through our union with the Million Mom March, there are countless ways to stay involved at the local level.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Marshalltown, Iowa: It's against the law for a horse to eat a fire hydrant.
Old March 27, 2002, 01:52 PM   #14
dischord

That was a waste of bandwidth.
Old March 27, 2002, 01:53 PM   #15
Justin

Only 43 minutes long?
What gives?
30 minutes I can understand.
Or 60.
But 43?
It's not like they weren't receiving questions.
sheeze.
Old March 27, 2002, 01:56 PM   #16
dischord

Not only that, but it took her 43 minutes to answer only 12 questions.

1 question every 3.58 minutes. Can't you just picture her PR crew churning over the best response?

Or, alternatively, she had a list of pre-approved answers, and matching questions came only every 3.58 minutes or so.
Old March 27, 2002, 01:58 PM   #17
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Quote:
MODERATOR at 1:25pm ET
Jim McGrath asks: "Of the 700,000 sales prevented, how many individuals were arrested?"
SARAH BRADY at 1:26pm ET
The important point to consider is that the purchase of the weapons by a prohibited person was stopped. One can only imagine how many lives were saved and tragedies avoided.
Wendell Hall from ipt.aol.com at 1:26pm ET
Pundits have already made much of Mrs. Brady's reluctance to blame the tobacco industry for the disease which seems about to claim her life, compared with her willingness to blame the gun industry for the incident which nearly claimed her husband's life. Will Mrs. Brady speak to that?
SARAH BRADY at 1:30pm ET
In both cases, both industries must be held accountable and bear responsibility for their marketing practices.
I believe the tobacco industry should be regulated and that everything should be done to ensure that cigarettes are not marketed to children and that there is no misrepresentation to the general public about the dangers of smoking.

The gun industry and tobacco industry are both special interests that must be held responsible for their business practices.

SARAH BRADY at 1:32pm ET
I certainly plan to speak out about the dangers of smoking and discourage young people from ever picking up that first cigarette.
Denise from tnt1.morganton.nc.da.uu.net at 1:33pm ET
Have you ever felt threatened because you took such a public stand against the NRA?
SARAH BRADY at 1:33pm ET
From time to time, there have been threats against me because of my stand. But I have always felt that I won't be deterred.
Trish Fodor at 1:35pm ET
I heard your story tonight On ABC and was so very inspired by it. I am a 37 year-old PR professional in Columbus, Ohio. Recently, the Ohio House has passed legislation allowing people to carry concealed guns. Although Governor Bob Taft is expected to veto it, (if law enforcement officals do not support it) I am appauled that it got this far. Your thoughts?
SARAH BRADY at 1:38pm ET
I agree totally. I applaud the governer and hope that he will veto the concealed carry bill.
The carrying of concealed weapons poses, in my opinion, a great safety concern for the general public. The thought of people in bars, at sporting events, in the movies when children and innocent bystanders are present is a deep worry.

James Mission at 1:38pm ET
Do you believe in registration of all firearms? And if so, do you have any fear that the government would use that list to confiscate them?
SARAH BRADY at 1:40pm ET
I think the important thing is that we continue to work to have background checks on all purchases, not just those from gun dealers. This would achieve the goal that we're all looking for, which is to keep guns out of the wrong hands. For those folks who agree with me, I hope they will contact their elected officials.
Brownie at 1:40pm ET
Dear Mrs. Brady,

What can the average citizen do to join your fight to prevent gun violence? Is there a number we can call? A website?

Brownie WW

SARAH BRADY at 1:43pm ET
I'd like to direct you to our Web site, which is "www.bradycampaign.org." There is also the Web site for my book, "www.agoodfight.org." We offer many chances for interested individuals to get involved and through our union with the Million Mom March, there are countless ways to stay involved at the local level.
MODERATOR at 1:46pm ET
Our thanks to Sarah Brady and all those who joined the chat. If you'd like to join another live discussion, please visit our community index.
Old March 27, 2002, 02:16 PM   #18
Mal H
Staff

"Brownie" is certainly well named.
Old March 27, 2002, 02:19 PM   #19
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

No, they had questions. Someone here said he sent in 20. I must have sent at least 20 too. There's 40 they could have brought in. I would imagine they waited until they got softballs. I can just see the moderator looking at my questions and sitting there putting nothing up until something softer came up.

But I can't say I'm surprised.
Old March 27, 2002, 02:40 PM   #20
illuminatus99

MODERATOR at 1:25pm ET
Jim McGrath asks: "Of the 700,000 sales prevented, how many individuals were arrested?"
SARAH BRADY at 1:26pm ET
The important point to consider is that the purchase of the weapons by a prohibited person was stopped. One can only imagine how many lives were saved and tragedies avoided.

one can only imagine how many lives were not saved by it, how many of those people bought guns on the black market or stole them after being denied legal purchase.
Old March 27, 2002, 02:48 PM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

My question wasn't posted either. It asked about a woman who has a restraining order and her estranged boyfriend or husband, with knife in hand, is kicking in her door. Shouldn't she have a means of self defense?

Anyway, I suggest we put to task someone to find out what brand of cigarettes she smokes. I'll buy a carton and send it to her. Anybody know if she likes any alcohol in particular?
Old March 27, 2002, 03:09 PM   #22
HankB

Quote:
James Mission at 1:38pm ET
Do you believe in registration of all firearms? And if so, do you have any fear that the government would use that list to confiscate them? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SARAH BRADY at 1:40pm ET
I think the important thing is that we continue to work to have background checks on all purchases,
not just those from gun dealers. This would achieve the goal that we're all looking for, which is to keep guns out of the wrong hands. For those folks who agree with me, I hope they will contact their elected officials. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When a serious question does sneak through the screener, she doesn't answer it. How typical.
Old March 27, 2002, 03:14 PM   #23
dZ

i asked:
Considering that Washington DC is second in the nation in gun violence against children and all handguns are illegal there,
how can more laws save children?
Old March 27, 2002, 03:27 PM   #24
Bulldog44

I felt like posting a question myself, but, after reading some of the comments and responses already posted, I had to run to the bathroom. By the time I returned, I forgot what I was going to say.
Old March 27, 2002, 03:34 PM   #25
Paul K

Let me get this straight. Some of you expected your answears to get though? this is Sara Brady here, the one who distorts the facts.
I love that one question about gun registration and Bar-Brady here didnt even answear it, she just rambled on about herself. :barf: