The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 13, 2002, 01:54 PM   #1
224Man

How Do I Replace WWII Medals?

My grandfather was a Naval Aviator in WWII he won a DFC at Midway. He also was awarded assorted Bronze Stars etc.
My Family managed to lose these decorations. I would really like to replace these with official medals.
Who do I contact in the DoD to have these medals replaced along with the award certificate? Thanks for your help guys. By the way he carried the S&W Model 10 Victory Model as his personal sidearm.
224Man
Old April 13, 2002, 02:16 PM   #2
Chief Jones

You have some options as far as replacing medals--you can

(1) Go through the military and attempt to have them replaced. Do you have his discharge papers or anything else official that shows the awards he earned? If you don't, email me & I'll give you a link that will get you started with getting his paperwork...but be forewarned, it took me over a year to get my grandfather's discharge papers.

(2) Or you can purchase the awards from a source such as USA MEDALS. They are the same as issue medals, and this is the route I took for getting my grandfather's medals.

I am sure you are proud of you grandfather's service as I am of my grandfathers'. Good luck in getting his awards.

Woody
CW4, USA Retired
Old April 14, 2002, 10:18 AM   #3
Fraser

Check with the Awards and Decorations Section in St. Louis. They're the people who handle the paperwork and send the medals.
Old April 14, 2002, 11:47 AM   #4
Jeff White

You might have better luck going through your Congressman's office. Could be a little faster.

I'm not sure about the Navy, but Army regulations entitle the vet or family to one replacement set of medals at no charge.

If you don't go the congressional route, write the National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Blvd, St. Louis MO (don't have the zip handy, but a call to the post office should get it for you). In the letter give your grandfather's full name, sevice number if you have it, date's he served and the circumstances of the loss. You may have to provide some documentation if he's passed on, such as death certificate and something proving you are next of kin, making you entitled to a replacement set. Be prepared for a long wait, 9 months to a year or more. They have all the records there there and like a lot of agencies are understaffed, when it comes to people to do the grunt work.

HTH

Jeff
Old April 15, 2002, 09:28 AM   #5
CastleBravo

The actual medals & ribbons can be purchased over the internet. As long as they are made by a company adhering to the DoD standards they are as "real" as the original ones handed out to the awardee. For the certificates/paperwork you obviously have to go through the bureaucracy. Good luck.
Old April 15, 2002, 10:27 AM   #6
jimsbowies

use congressional influence

If you have copies of his discharge papers....Nowadays called the DD214, you'll probably get quicker service if you have your congressman intervene.

Going through the VA will certainly take you at least 9 months and more likely, a year. Also, remember that back in the 70's, there was a major fire at the ST Louis records center and many records were forever lost to fire....

GI's have always been advised to take their discharge papers to their local Clerk of Court and have them registered there. You could check with the county where your relative returned after service and if he did, you'd find his discharge records there as amatter of public record.

Remember that the discharge papers may not reflect the medals and awards issued....in many cases, the soldier was long-since discharged before the award was approved and issued.....in that case, you'll absolutely need copies of his entire military file so that you can search for the orders that accompanied the awards..

How do I know all of this.....??????????? Been there and done that after Vietnam...
Old April 15, 2002, 10:49 AM   #7
C.R.Sam

Quote:
Remember that the discharge papers may not reflect the medals and awards issued....in many cases, the soldier was long-since discharged before the award was approved and issued.....in that case, you'll absolutely need copies of his entire military file so that you can search for the orders that accompanied the awards..
Often the case.

Sam

Nikita Khrushchev predicted confidently in a speech in Bucharest, Rumania on June 19, 1962 that: " The United States will eventually fly the Communist Red Flag...the American people will hoist it themselves."
Old April 15, 2002, 11:05 AM   #8
224Man

I do have his discharge papers should I still go through my Congressperson? Man I can't believe they would have allowed a fire to happen at St. Louis. A good deal of nations history was stored there. I guess with Lyndon's great society there was no monies for "liitle" thing like protecting our heritage.
Thanks for your help,
224Man
Old April 15, 2002, 11:33 AM   #9
ehenz

Soildercity.com has replacemetn medals.