The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

View Poll Results: Would you like a non firearms related forum on TFL?
Yes 4 40.00%
No 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26, 2002, 12:03 AM   #1
speed

Open for suggestions?..Why or Why not a non firearms related disscussion forum

This one has surely been beaten to death but I would like MEMBERS to particapate in a simple Yes or No poll .
If I remember correctly the idea was shot down because of a availlable space "bandwidth?" issue.
Am I correct? Are there other issues? I personally feel that it would not take anything away from the quality of the firearm related disscusion.
Please exuse me for bringing this up again but I think that it might be interesting to hear what the members think on this subject by taking a poll.
I understand that TFL is not a democracy and the owners of the board can and will do what they wish with their own property and I hope they realize that I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers by asking members to particapate in this poll.
Old April 26, 2002, 12:05 AM   #2
speed

Me first!,

YES!
Old April 26, 2002, 12:34 AM   #3
speed

Anybody?
Old April 26, 2002, 12:48 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

You ask for members only, but also ask for any other reasons. I don't think the official reason has ever been bandwidth or space restraints. Please see Rich's response in the following link (3/29/02 2335 EST). Although the topic was OT threads, it applies equally well to OT forums.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hreadid=106945
Old April 29, 2002, 07:16 AM   #5
Bill Barrett

I come here for firearms related discussion. I can go elsewhere for the other.

TFL does firearms best!
Old April 29, 2002, 07:55 AM   #6
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

I'll not try to speak for Rich (see Mal's ref for that), but I can speak from personal experience.

The first and easiest answer to avoiding non-firearms related threads and forums is found in the first line of our policy statement. TFL is "dedicated to the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership." That's a pretty big chaw to chew right there.

But your question is a good one--and frequently asked. In the past, some members believed knowing more about each other would foster a closeness or unity among members. In my experience, the opposite is true. When we permitted some off-topic subjects to be discussed, heated arguments (involving religion, abortion, sexual topics, etc.) became more prevalent than firearms-related discussion. The subjects became more than distractions, they became divisive issues severely and adversely affecting our firearms-related goals. Therefore, though other subjects surely are valid points for discussion, we have advised taking them to other forums, to email, or other non-TFL venues.

Personally, I believe it's a shame we cannot wait until we restore our Constitution before going for each others' throats. If we don't soon rein-in our government, they will TELL us what our opinions are and these other hot topics will become irrelevant. Besides, we have more than enough arguments (and needless bitterness) concerning firearms and civil liberties. I don't think the Members or the Staff could handle broadening the scope of our various controversies.

Subjects not related to firearms and civil liberties most assuredly are interesting. If no other boards fill your needs you probably are not alone with your interests. With absolutely no bitterness or sarcasm, why don't you look into setting up your own bulletin board with forums of interest to you? It might be a bit expensive. If you don't want to fund it by yourself, find friends, mentors, advertisers or even members to help out. Be forewarned, greater than monetary expense will be the strain on your time and nerves!
Old April 29, 2002, 05:14 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

No.
Same reasons as before, and before.

Sam
Old April 29, 2002, 06:33 PM   #8
Brian Williams

zip zero nada no way nope not
just look at Glocktalk
if you do a view new post 80% are things like 3 word post or why does my Mom wear combat boots

no
Old April 29, 2002, 06:41 PM   #9
Edward429451

I'm divided on this one...I would like to see an off topic forum but realisticly, it would conflict with the theme of TFL. The others who post against it have good sound reasons for not doing it and the more I consider thier statements, the more it makes sense to not have an off topic forum.
Old April 29, 2002, 06:51 PM   #10
speed

I changed my mind...............NO................Allthough there are times when my mind is elsewhere (like when I posted this poll) you all have convinced me that it is probably better to leave things as they are.
TFL is not like a box of chocolates...............you always know what your gonna get (top quality FIREARM info)
As the kids say.........."my bad"