The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2002, 05:59 PM   #1
telewinz

phoenix hp 22 range report

Just got back from the range test firing my HP 22. I have never bought such an inexpensive gun before but this Hp22 was reliable and enjoyable to shoot. Shot at a 9 inch paper plate at 50 ft rapid fire and obtained %90+ hits. If your personal defense philosophy includes multiple hits and bullet placement this pistol will fill the bill. Used 5 different brands of .22 lr from 50 year old remington kleanbore standard velocity to Federal Hi-Vi hp. Out of 250 rounds fired there was only 3 failures to eject completely which was experienced only with the old remington standard velocity .22's. Forgot to take some Vipers or Stingers but since the pistol seems to like hiper velocity rounds I am confident one or the other will work. I have been thinking about getting an HP22 for a month now and finally took the plunge last Monday for $111 out the door for the 31/2 inch nickel version. Three reasons I had not wanted to get it was 1) it costs TOO little !(does not go well with my current mix of PPKS's, Colts, S&W's ect. I am lucky enogh that I can afford to be picky) I think they would sell more if they raised the price another $100. They scare too many people away(like me) with the 'Saturday Nite Special' price, their workmanship is good enough to get away with charging twice as much. 2) Would it work as well as any of my pistols? Answer, YES ! 3) Read that the clip was a pain to load, wrong no more so than a beretta 21 or ruger 22. Its all steel construction(nickel plated, nice), 10 rd clip, good trigger pull and a lifetime warranty. I can't go wrong! Down side: Pain to disassemble, takes about twice as long as Browning Hi-power, alot more parts. On the plus side after shooting 250 rds just removing the clip and brushing the inside with WD-40 and a toothbrush cleans it up just fine. Unless my pistol is a fluke(?) I highly reccomend this pistol for self defense (highly skilled marksman only) or for informal plinking. A combination of the pistol's short sight radius and my 50 year old eyes (sites are pretty fuzzy)rules it out for target shooting(maybe the 51/2 inch barrel?) On a hunch that this size pistol is not long for this politically correct world, My intention is to buy another one new or used. I'm not interested in the different packages available, I'm happy with it right out of the box. (note to Phoenix Arms, you owe me big time!
Old April 27, 2002, 07:07 PM   #2
bj426

Ditto!

My HP22 was my first handgun and is still ($ for $ and # for #) the most fun and reliable handgun I own.
Old April 27, 2002, 08:42 PM   #3
Drakejake

I recently got this same pistol, but I also bought the kit with 5 inch barrel and extra mag. I haven't even tried to shoot it with the short barrel; no point, given my use. I had mixed results on my first outing, but this gun is fun to shoot when it isn't jamming. I wouldn't think of using a .22 for self-defense, except in an emergency, so my Phoenix is for plinking and target practice. I had a hell of a time the first time I took it down for cleaning and tried to put it back together, but the second time was much easier. I don't think the directions are very good. I am looking forward to taking it out to the range for the second time.

What is the cheapest source for extra mags?

Drakejake
Old April 28, 2002, 08:45 AM   #4
Tropical Z

I thought about one of these for years,but have been turned off by the "rumors"of the frames taking a dive after several thousand rounds.With a .22lr that could happen frequently.Anyone know the facts?
Old April 30, 2002, 03:32 PM   #5
Drakejake

Today I took the Phoenix out to the range for the second time. The results weren't so good. I had a number of light strikes and failures to feed. I won't be using this pistol for self-defense, so reliability isn't a huge issue for me. When the pistol isn't jamming it is great fun to shoot. Loading the mags are hard on the thumb because of pieces of metal sticking up fromt he top of the mag.

The mag safety is an annoyance, but I just eliminated it by taking off the left grip and filing off two small pieces of metal. The main safety still works, but the mag safety is gone. I will no longer have to put on the safety to pull the mag, put in an empty mag to deal with jams, etc.

Parts of the pistol seem to be made of soft metal and are showing more wear than I have seen on other handguns. I hope this wear will not affect performance. I shot both high velocity and normal velocity ammo and didn't discern a difference in reliability.

Drakejake
Old April 30, 2002, 03:36 PM   #6
Drakejake

I left something out. In another thread, I angrily complained about the difficulty in taking down and reassembling this pistol for cleaning. On my third attempt, the process was very fast and very easy. I guess I know better how to do it and the pistol has loosened up a bit. Perhaps not having to have the mag inserted during this process, since the mag safety was eliminated, made it easier.

Drakejake
Old May 14, 2002, 04:32 PM   #7
hitnthexring

The Phoenix is pure JUNK! To those who say: "I only had 3 jams in 100 rounds," I say: "How would you like to have those jams while someone is trying to hurt you?" Besides, with so many small reliable 9mm's, why use a rat-disposal gun for defense against 200 pounds rats??
Old May 14, 2002, 04:49 PM   #8
Drakejake

I fired my Phoenix again today. The only problem I had was one stove pipe. This is a fun and accurate little auto. The single action trigger is very good. Why buy this cheap pistol? Because it is cheap and fun to shoot! I use it strictly for target practice and plinking, certainly not for self-defense. I eliminated the obnoxious mag safety, but retained the other safeties. The pistol is much more enjoyable to use now. No, it is not a quality pistol and I don't expect it to have a long life. I would be happy if someone could recommend something better made but similar with a five inch barrel and 25 oz. Is there such a thing?

Drakejake
Old May 14, 2002, 07:17 PM   #9
tonyz

I have several 1000 rounds through mine and it looks new outside with minor wear on the inside.
Yes it will malfuction once in a great while with lower powered 22's but fill her up with stingers, and I havent had a FTF or FTE.
I really enjoy mine. It works great for a backup, Its so small it can be conceled about anywhere.
Old May 18, 2002, 10:57 PM   #10
22x9

Already mentioned this in another thread, but I'll repeat it anyways:

I bought a Phoenix Arms HP-22(SN #4207xxx) back in January of 2001. Over the next few months I blasted over 3500+ rounds thru it. In June, the day before I went on vacation, I was at the range shooting either Remington or Federals. On round #78 for day(had started shooting about 15 minutes before), I pulled the trigger and it went "pop" as usual. But after the bullet had left the barrel, the barrel popped up to a 45 degree from where it should have been(The pistol looked like it had a 5-inch do-hickey[don't know what P.C. word to put here]). I safely stowed the pistol until after I came back from vacation.

Upon examining it, The slots in the frame that held the Cross Pin were now notches. I sent the entire pistol, along with the frame fragments and cross pin, back to Phoenix Arms on a Monday and had the replacement(an HP-22A) on that Friday. Don't know what the extra "A" means though, it might mean "Ain't as likely to break."

I have since purchased a second HP-22, swapped parts and tested each. So far both pistols are functioning nicely. Here are the pics: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...highlight=HP22

TFL Alumnus - and proud of it.
Old May 24, 2005, 06:19 PM   #11
ghthomas

Phoenix HP22A

Is the Phoenix HP22A single action or double action? Thanks.
Old May 25, 2005, 01:34 AM   #12
omegapd

single action pretty much. At least, if it's like my little Raven .25. You pull the slide to chamber a round and that cocks the internal hammer.
Old May 25, 2005, 08:03 AM   #13
bclark1

i'd like to get one of these but not sure who deals with them in the chicago area. i'm sure any of the "usuals" could find one for me, but i bet i'd end up getting asked $199 for it.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:16 PM   #14
mu-chen

I have an older model HP22 w/5 extra mags. Have shot thousands of rounds through it and have NEVER had any problemos. That thing just keeps on shootin'. I even found one that was all beat up and keep it around for extra parts.
IMO I say, if you buy one, then get the older model. The magazines were designed to hold 12 rounds, whereas the newer ones only hold 10. And, for some reason, the magazine wells of the newer models are very, very tight. I made the mistake of purchasing a newer model at a gun show, took it home and tried to fit one of the older mags into the new model and it got stuck! I had to force it out with a scredriver. Then, I noticed how tight the newer mags were in the same mag well. So, I took the pistol back to the dealer who tried to tell me that that's the way they were made. Fortunately I also took my older model with all the mags and showed them how wrong they were. I was returned my money and will stay with the older Phoenix HP22 models. Anyway, I can find them for as low as $50 at some places.
Just my opinion.
Old May 28, 2005, 09:06 AM   #15
Eric Larsen

As a brazen CZ/1911 any other quality gun guy I can say the Phoenix is a little charm to shoot. Its NOT a 300 dollar Beretta for quality, but they shoot every bit as good and are 1/3 of the price.

THIS IS NOT A CCW by anymeans.....but if your on a budget and looking for a worthy plinker they are a riot to own and shoot.

The frames are cast zinc/other flavor of metal.....and arent up to a zillion rounds but are still worth what they cost.

Shoot well..........

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush