The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 29, 2002, 02:24 PM   #1
STAGE 2

opinions on Wilson

I''m looking for a 1911 style pistol and was wondering what anybody thought about Wilson's reputation/quality. Price doesnt concern me as much as the quality of the firearm.
Old April 29, 2002, 05:41 PM   #2
1911Ford

I have a Stainless Protector and it is a great gun. It instantly made me a better shot. I have never shot better/closer groups with any gun that I have owned. I have never had 1 malfunction with this gun. To be fair I have only put about 250-300 rounds through it though. Any time that I have ever contacted Wilson the have been very helpful. I did have to send the gun back because of a blemish on the frame. The replaced the gun and sent me a new one.
If money is not a problem I would highly recommend Wilson. I would have liked to have bought a Compact CQB but because I didn't have the extra cash I went with a Kimber Compact CDP.
In handguns Wilson is always my first choice.
Old April 29, 2002, 06:24 PM   #3
Brian Busch

I think they are overpriced for what you get. I looked at a $2700 Wilson pistol. The checkering was sloppy, as were several lines. The sights werent blended well, nor was the overall fitting what I would expect from a pistol at this price. I picked up a Kimber Gold Combat and compared the two; darn near identical. Heck, they are made from the same parts!

I'll stick to my all-tool steel custom Rock River Arms. For $1000 it came with the same features and I got my choice in sights, checkers, MS housing profile, etc. Downside is the 12mo wait.
Old April 29, 2002, 07:28 PM   #4
1911Ford

To say that Kimbers and Wilsons are the same or even made with the same parts would not be a fair and accurate statement. Sure Jericho supplies both with frames and slides but that is where it stops.
Old April 29, 2002, 08:10 PM   #5
dairycreek

have had a Millenium Protector for about a year.

Have put over a thousand rounds through it and it has never FTF no matter what I was shooting. Accuracy is excellent. An excellent firearm. Good sh ooting
Old April 29, 2002, 08:51 PM   #6
AlanD

I have both a Protector and Protector compact, which collectively have approximately 10K rounds through them. Both are excellent firearms, and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either again. They are very reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. The armor tuff finish does wear, but I don't have any other black finishes to compare it to. Wilson's service has been very good, but not excellent. I also own a Kimber Classic, which although an excellent 1911 for the price (1/2 that of the Wilson), does not compare in fit and finish to the Wilson.
Old April 29, 2002, 09:03 PM   #7
STAGE 2

I'm specifically looking at the KZ-45. I absolutely LOVE the idea of an 11 shot 1911 with a thin grip that doesnt have bulky mags.
Old April 30, 2002, 08:24 AM   #8
ZekeLuvs1911

I own the Protector and the Stainless Classic from Wilson. I have not had a failure yet in approximately 5000+ rds in each. I can't say that about the Kimber, Springfield Armoury and Colt that I got. Case closed.
Old April 30, 2002, 09:00 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

According to Wilson at the Shot Show, Caspian, not Jericho, is now supplying the frames. So, they are not made from the same parts.

Over priced? Maybe, maybe not. Wilson stands behind their products very well. You may pay a premium price, but I would not say that they were over-priced. I have a full-size and compact CQB and both are excellent shooting guns. I have more than 21K on the full-size and it is just 14 months old and it is my primary carry gun. It still has a very good slide to frame fit, the trigger is still crisp, etc. Aside from the rough Armor scuff, I am hugely pleased with it. My full-size was apparently made during a period when Wilson had some issues with the Armor Tuff mix. I have never sent the gun back in because the wear on the finish does not appear to be compromising anything on the gun and it isn't rusting or anything like that. Personally, I am not worried so much what the gun looks like as to how well it works. My compact CQB's finish is just fine, although I have only about 4000 rounds through it and it is carried only part time.

If you want to talk about over-priced, check out Colt's remake redo retro replica Series 70 with mil-spec sights, not lowered and flared port, plastic MSH, no checkering on the front strap, etc. that go for $900 and more. Colt's absolute most inexpensively made 1911 sells for a truly inflated price.
Old April 30, 2002, 10:27 AM   #10
GeneralChang

Wilson products do seem to be overpriced. I remember all their pistols in the 1998 catalog had their premium hammer and sear and I believe in 1999 they changed these partts to MIM and raised the price of the pistol. That did it for me. There are other alternatives to Wilson tactical, tactical tactical tactical tactical overhyped MIM laden guns.
Old April 30, 2002, 11:29 AM   #11
HankB

Wilsons are generally good pistols, but IMHO they're overpriced for what you get. Like another poster said, they've recently "cheaped out" and are using MIM parts on some models. But the prices didn't go down!

I also handled a few that seemed to have nothing but sharp edges on every surface. Not much fun if you're going to shoot a lot.

Comparing features, fit, accuracy, trigger, reliability, etc., I think Les Baer makes a better 1911-type .45 pistol for the money.
Old April 30, 2002, 12:08 PM   #12
TheEgg

Wilson CQB Compact Owner.

Summary --

1. Long wait for delivery.

2. Perfect functioning -- 100% reliable.

3. One-hole groups at 15 yards.

4. I have seen prettier guns, but I purchased this as a carry piece, not a safe queen or range gun -- the armor tuff finish is wearing well, and virutally eliminates concerns about rusting.

5. No sharp edges on my example.

6. Fit and finish perfect -- no problems with checkering or any other details.

7. MIM parts? -- I don't worry about this -- Bill Wilson is willing to bet his company, livelihood, and reputation on these parts and I am not going to argue with him. Besides, if any of these parts have a problem, he will replace them for free.

8. Can't comment about service as none has been needed. But doesn't that tell you something?

9. I own other 1911's -- this is by far the best that I have or that I have shot.

There are a lot of fine gun's out there, but IMHO, you must compare apples to apples. Compare Wilson's to Baer, Brown, etc. All of these semi-custom makers blow the Kimbers, Colt's, and so on out of the water. Some prefer the Baer, others Brown, others Wilson -- I think they are all fine guns and personal preference should guide you. As for value? That too is a personal evaluation -- I have no doubt that my Wilson was worth every penny!
Old April 30, 2002, 12:36 PM   #13
STAGE 2

Thanks alot guys. It sounds like Wilson is exactly what I'm looking for in the way of a really reliable, acurate, all around pistol.
Old April 30, 2002, 12:52 PM   #14
DeanG

Stage2,

I have owned a KZ-45 for several years now and have over 10K rounds through mine. While it did have a couple of things that needed further factory attention when I first purchased the pistol, it now runs perfectly.

The grip in feel and size is much more simular to that of a Glock 17/22 then a stock 1911's. However that feeling is soon overcome and the KZ will begin to feel natural in your hand.

The good:
Price
10 & 1 capacity (though I always load 1 down)
Fast shot to shot times
Felt recoil is minimal
Newer 463 sights
Weight even when fully loaded

The ugly:
Armor-Tuff finish is not "tuff" at all
Sights rust quickly
Wilson's quality contol is somewhat suspect as of late
Price of Mags for KZ is about $40.00 each.
Compact KZ-45 will not be submitted by Wilson's for CA approval

Good shooting,

Dean [email protected]
Old April 30, 2002, 02:00 PM   #15
PKAY

Bought a CQB last year. Got ~ 2,500 rounds through it. 3 FTFs each ammo related. Best, most accurate pistol I own. It is my home defense weapon. Nuff said.
Old April 30, 2002, 02:44 PM   #16
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The KZ is a SWEET shooter. I fired one next to an Ed Brown. While the Ed Brown was a FANTASTIC gun, the KZ was simply a better shooter.
Between the two - I'd have to take the KZ home with me.