The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 14, 2000, 07:37 AM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

For those who don't read Mario Puzo, or have no Sicilian roots, a Lupara is the Sicilian weapon of choice for vendettas(Sicilian word),defense, and hunting.

It's a short barreled SXS,12 or 16 ga, and usually open choked.Most are hammer guns. Slings are standard.

I came into a family SXS, given me by a cousin. He had bought it in the early 1940s, a Ranger(Sears house brand) made by Stevens, and not fired much. He had lost interest in hunting sometime after D-Day, and his children didn't hunt. It was choked full and fuller.

So, I decided to see what could be done with it. Like most inexpensive SXS, it was heavy, over 8 lbs with the 28 inch bbls,and swung like a railroad tie.After talking to a gunsmith friend, I started in on it.

First, said friend got the bbls, shortened them to 25",lengthened the forcing cones, and machined in "Jug" chokes. This, an enlargement of the bore just behind the muzzles,serves to tighten up the patterns about one increment. So, I had roughly IC chokes in both bbls. He also used liquid metal to fill in the open space in between the bbls and mounted a new bead.

While the bbl work was being done, I started in on the metal and wood mods. First, I disassembled the forearm. The forearm iron was a clunky, overbuilt piece than weighed in around 7 oz, some filing,drilling and grinding reduced it over 2 oz, and some other minor removals took another oz out of the forearm. Meanwhile, I sanded down the ersatz checkering and stained/refinished the forearm wood. I also started in on the stock. Having a long and deep regard for the looks of the English"Best" guns, I decided to do the stock as a straight grip. Since the receiver had a short tang behind the trigger guard,I was able to do this w/o having to heat and bend the metal, just removing wood. Also, the stock had some wood hogged out beneath the butt plate,to keep the piece balanced. The plate was replaced with a Pachmyer solid pad, going well with the straight grip and incidentally lengthening the stock to better dimensions for big ol' me, about 14 1/2" LOP.
Drop was a bit more than I like, but it was liveable.

By now, the bbls were done and I put it all together. It balanced 3 inches in front of the front trigger, and swung OK. So, it was time for some shooting.

Being springtime, nothing was in season.So, I hied myself down to the farm I did some shooting on,and patterned the thing. Luckily, it shot both bbls together, and placed the patterns about half a pattern high at 25 yards with AA trap loads and a few 00. Just where I wanted it.Some hand thrown clays on a subsequent occasion were nicely powdered in large part, shooting nigh the score I do with my pet 870.

And in keeping with the spirit of my Sicilian ancestors, I fired a few El Presidentes with it, and did well, considering the limits of the two shot capacity.

A set of QD sling swivels from Jaegers completed the package.

Not long thereafter, a family member needed an HD gun and I passed the Lupara along to him. He still has it, to the best of my knowledge.

Some observations....

First, I got lucky. Many cheap SXS's will not shoot both bbls into the same Zip Code after shortening,some don't do it at all.

Second, the 25" bbls were a little TOO light for a steady swing, but the piece was shorter than a riot 870 overall. Weight was around 7 3/4 lbs, a bit much for a field gun.

Third, if this was being done today, I'd put in tube chokes. It would cost about the same and be more versatile.

Fourth,this was cost effective since I had a free shotgun to work with. Starting from scratch, one might be better off buying one of the "Coach" guns on the market.

Fifth, please think long and hard before you alter Grandpappy's duck gun.Other family members may take umbrage, or it may have some historical value.

Sixth, since I've no control over you or the weapon, proceed at your own risk. ALL old shotguns should be checked out by a competent, QUALIFIED smith before firing...

Have fun and if there's any questions, fire away...
Old April 14, 2000, 03:39 PM   #2
Hueco

All i have to say is -- she must be gorgeous! Don't guess you have a picture to post?

Hueco
Old April 14, 2000, 05:42 PM   #3
Jeff, CA

The jug choking was necessary because you cut off the original choke, correct?

A SxS for HD should really be a hammer gun (so says the Guru), because you can leave the hammers down on loaded chambers indefinitely. On a hammerless, you'd have to leave it cocked all the time.

How does the shotgun version of the "El Presidente" go?

[This message has been edited by Jeff, CA (edited April 14, 2000).]

Old April 15, 2000, 08:06 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Hueco, she did look good,no checkering but nice lines. The relative who now has it lives far away, but knows enough to keep it looking good. Sorry, no pics,and if I did have some, I'd have to ask my kids to post them. I'm no 'puter whiz.

Jeff,yes on the jug chokes.On most shotguns, choke occurs in the last 2 inches or so. Local wisdom says that most shotgun bbls can be opened up one increment by removing 1/2 to 1" at the muzzle, but that would have left me a railroad tie, not a responsive GP shotgun.

And yes on hammers, but this had none, it was free, right there, and needed some mods to suit me.SSoooo....

For the practical drills, I set up three targets and had my daughter mark one as a hostage, then at a signal I would turn and neutralize the other targets. At 15 yards, close to all pellets scored,and times were short. Good snap shooting shotgun,tho the trigger pulls were heavy and gritty.

Price of everything was about $100, but my buddy gave me one heckuva break on the bbl work.The half deer I had given him not long before could be construed as barter.

One final thing, no ejectors meant slow reloads. I worked up a technique that helped, but it was still slow by my standards.
Old October 27, 2000, 03:43 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Back up for Hayden...
Old October 29, 2000, 08:07 PM   #6
longeyes

I commend the weapon. Now, compare, you must intone the following in case a goblin ever comes to a sorry but well-deserved end at your hands: "La giustizia รจ fatta!" (Justice has been done!) Sparate bene!