The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 9, 2002, 02:44 PM   #1
Clutch

NAA Guardian .380

NAA Guardian .380 http://www.naaminis.com/

Was about ready to buy it yesterday, but thought I'd get some input from the forum first. Seems like what I'm looking for: tiny pocket gun chambered for the biggest cartridge something that small can handle... stainless, light, thin...

But is it well made? (Seemed to be...) Dependable? Somewhat accurate?

Input from anyone who owns one (or it's .32 ACP cousin) would be appreciated.
Old June 9, 2002, 03:22 PM   #2
MikeJ

I have the Guardian .32 and like it very much. It is reliable and sure beats any .22 or .25 out there.
Old June 9, 2002, 03:53 PM   #3
schild

Just took my .32 to the range today. It has functioned perfect on everything I feed it. It had been a while since my wife and I shot the Guardian and it seemed to have less recoil then we both remember.
Old June 9, 2002, 04:15 PM   #4
DanP

I just shot mine today some more, still trying to pass the 500 round mark for break in (an arbitrary figure).

Great size, well put together, not the lightest though. Which in this case I think it is a good thing.

There are lots of threads on the NAA .380, you may want to do a search.
Old June 9, 2002, 04:40 PM   #5
bradster

I have one of the "earlybird" Guardian 380's-purchased directly from NAA (serial # 84) I'm very happy with it-sold a Guardian .32 when i puchased it's big brother..i understand the early production ones (under #1700 i think) came with mags that were since re-designed ( i sent mine back to NAA and they were replaced) also the hammer spring in the newer .380's was stronger-i was getting light strikes on mine and NAA sent me a new spring that has since been installed but i haven't made it to the range to try it yet.I highly recommend!
Old June 9, 2002, 04:57 PM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I love them. The .380 Guardians are great little guns when matched with the right ammo. I say go for it.
Old June 9, 2002, 08:11 PM   #7
Clutch

No negatives? Hmmm.... I may have passed up a good thing. Hope it's still available... guess I could always order it if it's gone....
Old June 9, 2002, 08:55 PM   #8
DanP

George, what do you keep in yours?

I gave up on Federal's JHP - they don't want to cycle too well in my gun.

I've been keeping the target S&B FMJ stuff in it until I find something that cycles reliably, not thrilled with the choice.
Old June 9, 2002, 09:03 PM   #9
Sundance

I just bought the .32. The .380 just didn't fit in any category that wasn't already filled by a much more substantial gun. The .380 would be a belt gun for me and not a pocket gun and I am not a little guy. If it is going on the belt, it will be 9mm or better. I am looking forward to testing the .32 at the range.
Old June 9, 2002, 09:24 PM   #10
SouthpawShootr

I've had a .380 Guardian for a few months. It's small enough that I can carry it anywhere. Have had maybe 2 malfunctions with it (I have about 200 rounds through it). It's been smooth sailing last 50 or so rounds. Word of caution though, forget about extended shooting sessions with this one. After about 15 rounds, the middle of my palm is sore. By 25, I put the gun away. I've had problems with bullets keyholing with heavy bullets (100 gr. FMJ), but the 90 grain standard loading does well. Accuracy is satisfactory given the type of gun. As far as sights go, you're better off getting the gutter snipe sights or just having the factory sights ground off. The last round tends to jam (this gun lacks an ejector and the design is such that it relies on the next round to eject the spent casings - when the mag is empty, the last round may stovepipe). I don't think this is a big deal to be honest, but just be prepared.
Old June 9, 2002, 09:27 PM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I don't have one. Yet.

I've been putting it off. However I will be getting one soon enough. I'll be dropping my jack on a .32NAA Guardian soon after they reach regular production. I've fired several examples of the Guardian in the different calibers and the slightly larger .380 platform is the way to go, at least for me.
I've had other NAA products, all variants of the Mini Revolver in .22LR and .22Mag.
All very well made and high quality pieces. Good people at NAA.
Old June 9, 2002, 09:27 PM   #12
SouthpawShootr

And another thing. There is the temptation to just pop it in your pocket. Get a pocket holster. Several good makes are around. I just saw an article on p. 26 of the July/August issue of American Handgunner in which somebody had an ND with a Kel-Tec in his pocket (diff. gun and lighter trigger I know, but it makes you think). A pocket knife in his pocket set off the trigger when he stabilized the gun while walking.
Old June 10, 2002, 10:10 AM   #13
RandyC

My NAA G.380 is pretty much my always gun. Even when I'm carrying my Kimber the Guardian is someplace close.

I just got a hip pocket holster from Hedley and couldn't be happier with it. It works great in either hip or front pocket.

I was loading HydraShocks but just started carrying CorBons. As has been mentioned here before the Guardian is built like a tank and plus loads are no problem. I really like mine and was surprised at the accuracy from that short barrel.
Old June 10, 2002, 10:26 AM   #14
Rickmeister

I'd love to have one of these cuties just for the plain heck of it. But I would never fork out $500+ for it. I would soon get another P99 for that kinda dough. Now that's a REAL gun.

I think the good review in a certain popular gun magazine got the folks at NAA way over their heads.
Old June 10, 2002, 10:58 AM   #15
bradster

500.00 +? I see this pistol for under 400.00 quite often.
Old June 10, 2002, 11:45 AM   #16
Sundance

I paid $319 for my Guardian .32 last week.
Old June 10, 2002, 11:56 AM   #17
Mal H
Staff

"But I would never fork out $500+ for it."

Man! Neither would I. But I did fork out $360 for a .380 Guardian. I like it a lot. Very reliable and very easy to carry and conceal. Like RandyC, it has become my always gun in a back pocket holster. Those who call the .380 caliber a toy, haven't seen the results from one. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be shot anywhere with such a 'toy'.

A question for other .380 owners: Do you have any problems removing the slide without considerable strength and dexterity involved? I'm pretty good at breaking down pistols (can do a Ruger Mk II in around 15 seconds ), but I have a devil of a time with the Guardian. I have devised a simple and effortless method of easily removing the slide which I have posted before, but no one else has ever mentioned having trouble with it. Maybe it's just my gun, a few thousandths of an inch milling tolerance on the slide release can make a difference.
Old June 10, 2002, 12:21 PM   #18
SouthpawShootr

Paid $350 for my Guardian .380 brand new. My cutoff was $375 (I would have gotten the .32 in that case, they were running about $300). Even at $375 I would do some serious soul-searching.
Old June 10, 2002, 12:25 PM   #19
SouthpawShootr

Mal H:

My slide is also a bear to get off. It appears to be necessary to press the slide release lower than flush with the frame. Kind of hard to hold the slide back far enough and push that button with my other hand (more an issue of my great big fingers always in the way than simple brute strength). Also, I've had the recoil spring go flying off (first time only); it slipped out from under the slide.
Old June 10, 2002, 12:35 PM   #20
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I don't think the price on it matters.
Get real.
If your in a tight spot and can't pack your regular carry gun because it's too big... and your out doing your thing when all the sudden you get shoved to a wall and someone says "GIMME YO MONEY". I think at that point you would have been plenty happy to have even dropped a couple grand on an NAA Guardian.

Safety is Priceless.

If you dropped only a little cash on the Guardian, good for you. If you dropped a lot of cash on a Guardian, that's fine too. As long as your happy with the gun - what you paid as an investment on your safety is a moot point.
Old June 10, 2002, 01:24 PM   #21
Watch-Six

I have a NAA Guardian 380. It is great. Mine was also one of the first early bird guns. It had a couple of kinks that NAA got worked out. Mostly the magazines. I had NAA put Novak night sights on mine. The only thing I would change if I could is the weight. It is a little heavy for a pocket, but that is where I carry it in a NAA pocket holster. IMHO at this point in time the NAA 380 is the best small gun available. Watch-Six
Old June 10, 2002, 01:45 PM   #22
Rickmeister

Quote:
I don't think the price on it matters.
Oh, and I emphatically agree!---if you had nothing else to choose from.

Heck...I get 1" groups with my Bersa Thunder at 15 yards, and that one cost me $250 brand new. It conceals well, eats everything, and packs more punch than the most beefed-up Guardian out there (unless you get one with a 3.5-inch bbl; and you won't).

The Guardian I saw was priced at $530. Granted, it had Cocobolo grips and what not; but this was the exact same gun that a month ago was going for $360! Now that's one hell of a mark-up if I ever saw one.

Yeah, the Guardian is a sweet little rascal. But given a choice, I'd prefer my .380 (not my caliber of choice) to be a tad meaner. But then that's me. The Guardian might be mean enough for you.

If you have one, enjoy. If you don't...

wouldn't you rather have a PPK or a Cheetah?

Last edited by Rickmeister; June 10, 2002 at 02:20 PM.
Old June 10, 2002, 03:07 PM   #23
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Rickmeister, the Guardian you saw for the extra bucks may have been more than it seemed.
Could have been a custom shop job with some dehorning, and polished action, etc. Probably had other than factory normal sights too? For that price it could have had Ashley Express sights on it.

OR

The guy selling it was up in the night... A little crazy goes a long way when it comes to pricing a gun in some of the shops I've seen. I kid you not, I once saw a JENNINGS for $300.

OR

You actually saw a Seecamp.
Old June 10, 2002, 08:31 PM   #24
Mal H
Staff

SouthpawShootr - Here's my trick:

As always, check to be sure the gun is completely empty of ammo.

Set a spent shell head up on the edge of a table. Pull the slide back and turn the gun upside down over the shell and let go of the slide so it will grasp the head of the shell in the breech opening. The shell is now captured and the slide is held back so you can now you can easily press the slide release and remove the slide.

Let me know how it works for you.
Old June 10, 2002, 08:51 PM   #25
GeorgeH

I own both a G32 and a G380. I love them.