The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 12, 2002, 05:27 PM   #1
taco

Need Help With S&W Sigma 380

Can anybody tell me how to disassemble this pistol or know where I can get instruction? I was given this pistol from a co-worker and it looks like it needs a good cleaning?

Looks like I have to drive out 2 pins on the frame but I'm not sure.
Old August 12, 2002, 05:43 PM   #2
SouthpawShootr

This pistol has been discontinued, but Smith and Wesson should be able to set you up with an owners manual. Their website is: www.smith-wesson.com E-mail or call them and they'll probably send you one for free. They have many manuals online from what I understand. However, I wouldn't count on yours being there.

These guns were basically disposable. The slide is some sort of zinc-alloy. This gun was not durable. But it was cheap and compact (last time I saw a new one for sale it was $199 - and nobody was buying). Get a manual, field strip it, clean, and shoot it. It has no resale value. Didn't your friend have a manual for it?
Old August 12, 2002, 06:00 PM   #3
taco

SouthpawShootr:

I got this pistol free from a co-worker. He said he got it when they first came out just keep it in his truck and it has been sitting there eversince. He believes it has fired 100 rounds in the beginning just to make sure it worked but has not been fired since. The box and manuals were lost some years back when he moved. He just got a Glock pistol so he said he has no use for it anymore so he just gave it to me. I was going to clean it and shoot it to make sure it is reliable and then just keep it in my car. It looks pretty ratty and dirty but if it is reliable I'll use it.
Old August 12, 2002, 07:51 PM   #4
mguffey

tsk, tsk...

I own two Sigma 380's and find them to be servicable
car guns capable of withstanding a lot of neglect. Both
are surprisingly accurate with a decent DA trigger pull
that activates a striker plate rather than a firing pin.

Web page on this firearm:
http://thearmedcitizen.com/gunpages/sigma380.htm

Web page for S&W Sigma PDF:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/misc/pdf/Sigma.pdf

While the 380 is not shown, yes the pins must be knocked
out for disassembly and the pdf could be used as a
reference if you became hopelessly lost, though the
mechanism is pretty simple and straightforward if one
does not do a complete reassembly to include the
trigger mechanism.

Be very careful to clear the chamber and disassemble
having pulled the trigger so it is no longer engaged to
the firing mechanism.

Use a gun scrubber in preference to complete disassembly.
And yes, these guns are not meant for sustained fire
or use until the end of time. But neither are such guns as
the Beretta Tomcat. Take it to the range, get familiar with
it and if you can't hit anything either get rid of it or send
it back to S&W for a slide replacement and realignment of
the barrel ($75).

Best regards.
Old August 12, 2002, 08:41 PM   #5
Patrick Murphy

Don't pay too much attention to the negative criticism. I bought one when they first came out, sold it a few years later and regretted it. About two months ago I purchased another - new in box for $199. It's a very reliable, lightweight, pocket pistol. If you can't find dissasembly instructions on the net, e-mail me with your fax number and I'll fax you the relevant pages from my manual. Do try S&W, though.
Old August 12, 2002, 10:06 PM   #6
taco

Well, I e-mailed S&W and requested a copy of the manual for this pistol earlier. I also disassembled the pistol completely and gave it a good cleaning. Looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years. Putting it together was a little tricky but no big deal.

I'm going to keep this pistol hidden under my steering wheel so I'll always have apistol available while in my car. It won't replace my primary CCW pistol but it will be available.

Thanks for your info guys.
Old August 12, 2002, 11:11 PM   #7
Tecolote

Just had to say that it's folks like mguffey and Patrick Murphy that make TFL such a great place.
Old August 13, 2002, 05:58 AM   #8
kahr Carrier

Man I wish I had Co -worker s like Tacos his sounds cool.
Old August 13, 2002, 07:54 AM   #9
pocketman

Good luck with that little 380.

Mine was a good little shotter, accurate and reliable. I regretably sold mine but would buy anouther. S&W warrenties them 100% if you were to shoot it out.

IMOP S&W really dropped the ball with these models (SW380,SW9M) They could have been terrific little guns if they put a better finish real sites on them.

The SW9M had a stainless/carbon slide the 380 model should have also. The zink slide on the 380 was the biggest reason both these guns failed as they got a bad rap of being throwaway guns which I think is a foolish statement, if you ever shot the little 380 enough to batter up the slide, they had/have a lifetime warrenty.

If S&W were to bring these two models back more refined with the cleaner lines of the new sigma models, they would make excellant pocket guns.
Old August 13, 2002, 07:21 PM   #10
taco

I took the little pistol to the range during lunch time today and shot it to check reliability. I'm glad to report that it functioned 100%.

I shot 100 rounds of Winchester FMJ ammo and it shot to point of aim at 7 yards. Groups were about 2-2 1/2" at this distance when I took my time. Shooting a little faster (about 1 shot per second) gave 3-4" groups. I also shot 100 rounds of Federal Hydrashok and it grouped a little larger... about 3" when shot slow and about 5" when shot faster. With Federal ammo groups were about 1 inches high at 7 yards. I took 6 careful shots with Remington Golden Saber (I think thats what they call it) which I got with the gun at 10 yards and it shot a perfectly centered 2" group. At 4 yards it was easy to unload all 7 shots in under 3 seconds and keep all shots within 6" group.

I'm going to clean it again tonight and then hide it in my truck.

Overall, it worked well and I was satisfied with the performance. It is a ugly and somewhat crude little pistol but it works well... and thats what counts.
Old August 14, 2002, 07:37 AM   #11
notos&w

be aware the service life of these pistols is 3500 rounds. not believing this i called smith and they verified that after 3500 rounds the gun will need replacement of several major components. hope this helps
Old August 14, 2002, 06:11 PM   #12
taco

Service life of 3,500 rounds is not a concern to me. This pistol has been fired less than 300 rounds now and I don't expect to shoot it much except to shoot the loaded ammo in the magazine once in a while.
Old August 14, 2002, 08:13 PM   #13
notos&w

didnt figure youd shoot it that much, most dont. just wanted you to know. regards
Old October 25, 2009, 05:47 PM   #14
clintondf

I just purchased one of these, and in 1 of the magazines I have tried out the gun will jam on the 6th and final round when shooting. I have not tried the other mag to see if its just a mag issue or a gun issue. any ideas?
Thanks
Old October 26, 2009, 08:45 PM   #15
culleniii3

I had one as a carry gun when I was a college student.

It was fair piece and good within its trigger and round limitations.

I think if it was better machined then it would have been a pretty decent piece.
Old August 12, 2010, 09:28 PM   #16
TheGoldenState

Took my little S&W sigma .380 to the range yesterday. Accurate as all get out, very reliable, light and small. Weird tho as the slide doesnt lock back.

Great Pistol
Old October 9, 2010, 11:56 AM   #17
shooter313

I have owned one of these since they came out. The price was right, and is the perfect size for every day carry (at work where no one knows I carry a gun.)
I have shot "maybe" 250 rounds though this gun since I bought it. The first hundred and fifty was to make sure it was going to be reliable. The other 100 or so just to make sure it still is, and to empty the mags as someone else stated above.
I would not hesitate to buy another one of these guns. They are perfect, "to me", for what I bought it for. Close up self defence, and unspotable by the untrained eye for concealed carry full time. I keep mine loaded with Glaser's, and have never had a FTF or a FTE with it.
I really cant see anyone even wanting to shoot this gun over 3000 rounds. I mean it is a good little gun, but when I go to the range I go to shoot my GOOD guns. But IF I EVER HAVE to drop a bad guy, god forbid, I would rather lose this one for a year or two, until the court gives it back to me, rather than one of my ..45's that I have many hundreds or even thousands of dollars into.
Good luck with your Sigma, it is a fine little gun.
Old October 9, 2010, 12:55 PM   #18
Sarge

I actually like the VE Series guns and the Allied Forces .40 has about everything I like in a carry gun- DA revolver trigger, 1911 grip angle, substantial cartridge and a mag that holds a bunch of them. It is also reliable, accurate and one of the most natural pointers I've ever picked up.

My experience with the .380 Sigma has been the opposite. I know of two that broke, the last one a few months ago while i was checking zero for an officer during qualification. On about the fourth round it jammed and upon examination, the frame had cracked at the rear pin- same place as the other one. It was the Chief's gun

If you .380 Sigma guys need some spare parts, shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up