The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 24, 2002, 12:38 AM   #1
Opie-IN

I just purchased a Pre-B CZ...Very nice shooting gun

I picked up this puppy from the original owner. Gun was manufactured in 94, and although its a Pre-B it appears to have the same frame/hammer spur as the newer CZs, I am thinking this is considered a transition model. My instruction manual states that a firing pin safety is "optional" but I dont know if this one has the option on it or not. I put 100 rounds thru it before I purchased it and I think this is going to be a super range gun. Has markings as imported by Action Arms and even has the original tags, a printout of a test target, and the warranty card. One magazine still has a sticker on the bottom of it, I am assuming its from the factory. I would like to thank all of you who helped me make the decision to purchase this gun last week, it was a good decision. I purchased the pistol with 2 original standard capacity mags, one 10rd mag, and hogue grips for $350 even. Any comments on the pistol will be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cz pic 3.jpg (169.5 KB, 178 views)
Old August 24, 2002, 12:40 AM   #2
Opie-IN

Picture of all the package
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cz package.jpg (197.8 KB, 148 views)
Old August 24, 2002, 12:42 AM   #3
archer215

look on the bottom of the slide where the firing pin is housed if its got a small cylindrical or square notch it has a firing pin saftey

tony
Old August 24, 2002, 12:44 AM   #4
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. Very nice, sir. If it has the traditional firing pin retaining plate it's a Pre-B "transitional" model. You will also spot a roll pin in the area of the slide serrations if it is a "B."

Best.
Old August 24, 2002, 12:54 AM   #5
Opie-IN

here are some pics of the slide

I'll let you tell me, I apolgize for the flash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cz slide.jpg (121.2 KB, 116 views)
Old August 24, 2002, 12:55 AM   #6
Opie-IN

Pic of the outside of the slide

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cz slide 2.jpg (128.9 KB, 100 views)
Old August 24, 2002, 12:58 AM   #7
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. Bingo bango, it's a Pre-B.

Best.
Old August 24, 2002, 12:58 AM   #8
DAL

Yeah, but...

Of course, you know it's ONLY a 9mm, so forget about using it for self-defense; any criminal you might use it against would only laugh at its puny stopping power. No, son, you need a MAN'S gun, a .45 ACP 1911. Nothing less will do.

Just doing my part to fan the flames of a trite argument.
DAL

P.S. My CZ75BD (owned proudly in 9mm) is one great pistol. If this is your first CZ, welcome to the fold. BTW, that's a nice-looking pistol, and you got it for a good price.

P.P.S. I also like my RIA 1911 .45 ACP; it's a grand ol' design.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

"When citizens fear their government, you have tyranny; when the government fears its citizens, you have freedom."
--Thomas Jefferson

GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, ARI, NRA
Old August 24, 2002, 01:10 AM   #9
Opie-IN

Dal....Here is my choice of caliber for defense, I hope none of us will ever need to use it. I'll end the caliber war real fast by saying that a handgun is only for you to get to a long gun, or preferably away from the fight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12ga buck.jpg (132.0 KB, 94 views)
Old August 24, 2002, 01:11 AM   #10
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello, DAL. Still laughing; that was a good one! Seriously, I do believe that in its better loadings, the .45's a more potent round, but I do not believe 9mm to be a "bad" defensive round. Those who know me personally can attest to my very often carrying one for defensive purposes. Loaded with the "better" loads, I think it can be a very good defensive round. I personally do not think of pistol shooting strictly in terms of self defense or "stopping power," but just enjoy doing it. Though one or two have called me a fool for this mindset, I think I'll just keep on having fun doing what I like to do.

With all the cheap 9mm ball ammo around, I'm not surprised to see many folks shooting their 9mm pistols more often. I hope they're having fun, too, and if they're getting better at hitting what they're aiming at, I'll just bet the "stopping power" of their 9mm is going up!

Best.
Old August 24, 2002, 11:58 AM   #11
DMK

Nice CZ! Great deal and welcome to the family

I haven't seen too many transitional "Pre-B" '75s around.

I wonder if there are few enough of them to consider them rare.
Old August 24, 2002, 12:47 PM   #12
tlhelmer

Nice Opie. How does the CZ compare in size to your Beretta?
Old August 24, 2002, 07:30 PM   #13
mdshooter

You scored a great deal on a very sweet gun. Welcome to the CZ fold and enjoy shooting your new found friend.
Old August 24, 2002, 10:07 PM   #14
Opie-IN

TLHelmer

The CZ is very similar in overall size to the Beretta, however the grip on the CZ is a LOT better for me. I will let you feel them side by side next time we go shooting, I think you will be impressed by the CZ. The double action is better on the CZ, and the single action is better on the Beretta. Neither gun is broken in, so I cant tell you which one is going to be the better trigger in the end, I know all guns break in differently.
Old August 26, 2002, 02:04 PM   #15
Cthulhu

Good Find! I purchased a "transition model" Pre-B CZ-85 that is otherwise identical to yours. Same Action Arms case, manual and magazine setup. Mine has the squared trigger guard, and commander type hammer, but lacks the firing pin safety. Frame says "Made in Czechoslovokia" rather than the Czech Rep. It is closest to the modern CZ-85 Combat configuration, as it has adjustable sights, but also has the magazine brake as well. Shoots excellently, ragged one hole groups being the norm at 15yds, 2.5" or so at 25yds from a barricade position.

I had no problems with reliability for the first 300rnds, when the slide locked open with rounds remaining in the magazine. After I fired the remaining rounds, I noticed that my right side slide release was laying on the range counter. It appears that the little tabs that hold the slide release onto the frame have deformed. Since its an older CZ, I'm not sure how to go about having it repaired. Works fine so long as I keep my off hand thumb on the left slide lock, but I'm not thrilled with that as a long term solution.
Old August 26, 2002, 02:22 PM   #16
Walt Sherrill

Contact customer service at CZ. Go to the CZ-USA web site if your manual doesn't have the number. (It probably doesn't.)

If you can't find it with a web search, go to the CZ Forum (www.czforum.com) and click on the CZ shown at the top of the page. That'll take you to the CZ site.

I think they'll fix it without any questions -- may fit a new CZ-85 Combat part...
Old August 28, 2002, 11:00 PM   #17
Cthulhu

Thanks for the advice, Walt. Been a long time lurker over at CZForums. I'll give CZ-USA a call.
Old August 28, 2002, 11:39 PM   #18
VVG

Quote:
I noticed that my right side slide release was laying on the range counter. It appears that the little tabs that hold the slide release onto the frame have deformed. Since its an older CZ, I'm not sure how to go about having it repaired.
It's a design problem. Usually the sleeve that retains it breaks. CZ redesigned, adding a thicker sleeve, which requires gunsmithing, but they will do the work for free. It took about a month when I sent mine in, may be longer now.