The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 31, 2002, 07:27 PM   #1
gbelleh

Your experience with the NAA mini revolvers....22 LR or .22 Mag???

I was taking a good look at a little NAA Mini .22 mag revolver at the range this afternoon. I've always liked these tiny guns, but have never shot one.

What are they really like to shoot? They seem like they might try to pop right out of your hand! Especially the .22 Mag.

I know the approximate difference in velocity etc. between the .22 LR and .22 Mag on paper, but what is the difference in shooting the .22 LR vs. the 22 Mag? It seems like the .22 Mag has a slightly larger grip. Does this make the Mag easier to shoot than the LR?

Also, does barrel length (1 1/8 vs. 1 5/8) make any difference in recoil? Does it substantially improve handling or accuracy?

I would really like to get one of these, but am having trouble deciding between the LR and the Mag. I know you can interchange the cylinders from LR to Mag on some.

Any suggestions?
Old August 31, 2002, 08:22 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

SINCE I'M SITTING ON ONE RIGHT NOW..........

Consider (spend considerable time and effort doing this) its intended use; will it be a back-up or primary?

I consider mine to be a 'contact' weapon, and as such I chose the short 22LR version.
I think of it as neither accurate or easy to handle; I think of it as reliable and handy.
The 22 Short version just didn't offer enough 'poop' ballistically for me.
I often use mine as primary.
It is 'in the black' inside of 7 yds............
Old August 31, 2002, 09:07 PM   #3
gbelleh

I probably should've mentioned that my purpose for this gun would be for a fun, conversation piece and maybe someday backup carry piece.

But mainly just for fun. I wouldn't want to shoot it a whole lot, but I would like to be able to have some fun with it at the range.

If it kicks like a S&W 340 with full power .357s, I probably wouldn't want it. But, if it is basically manageable and reasonably accurate (able to keep it on paper from 7-10 yards out) then it's something I wouldn't mind adding to the collection.

It would also round out the revolver collection.
N frame, (L frame to be added soon), K frame, J frame, and NAA mini!

I'm actually leaning toward the .22 LR with 1 1/8" barrel.
Old August 31, 2002, 09:12 PM   #4
CZ_

I have a convertible .22 mag/.22 LR model. Its a wonderful piece to collect and have conversations about. Quality is excellent, and it feels solid.

However, accuracy is poor past 3 feet and it shoots little bullets at very slow velocity (that itty bitty barrel length cannot possibly produce good velocities). Firing is slow, and reloading even slower. Its NOT a good backup candidate. I like to think of the NAA mini as an automatic icepick, cause you practically got to put the gun in someones belly to be able to hit with it. Recoil is very light in .22 LR, and mild in .22 magnum (slightly on the sharp/snappy side, but no big deal).

Its a great gun, but due to small grip and diminutive size its limited as to effectiveness (both power and accuracy). I recommend the NAA mini as a collectors item, not as a defense gun.
Old August 31, 2002, 11:56 PM   #5
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Positive Experience With Quality Product's!

I have both the .22 LR and the .22 magnum, and both
have the short 1-1/8" barrel. The .22 LR is definitely
harder to shoot well because of the small grip. The
.22 magnum is as loud as a factory .357 magnum
round! The magnum is fairly accurate to a range of
about 10 to 15 feet, maximum.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old September 1, 2002, 02:43 AM   #6
Jim March

Six words get you the best of the NAA minis:

Black Widow, small sights, dual caliber.

The .22Mag does give you more power, with careful ammo selection. The BW is inherently more accurate, and the sights are usable. And by swapping the big rubber grips down to the smaller "Magnum Mini" wood bird's head, the 2" barrel is still "pocketable".

Do most of your practice with .22LR, esp. at first. But the Magnums ARE controllable and usable .
Old September 1, 2002, 03:07 AM   #7
campus ninja

I too am considering a Mini

I am also looking at the Mini Revolver in 22 LR. I was wondering what the report(noise) is like? How about muzzle flash? What brands of ammo have you used, have you tried the Aguila Super Colibri or Colibri in the gun? What is a good price on a LNIB 22 LR?
Thanks and have a good Weekend!
Old September 1, 2002, 04:38 AM   #8
Will Batayte

I have the LR one and I bought it as a back up or for when there is no way to carry anything else. It is not accurate at all, it is realy just a "belly gun". As far as how they shoot, they do kinda want to jump out of your hand a little. I don't shoot mine too often as it is very slow to load and you have to push the empty cases out one by one with the cylinder pin. I only recomend these for experianced shooters because they are difficult to shoot well. I don't think these little revolvers were meant to be anything other than contact weapons and for this purpose it does just fine.
Old September 1, 2002, 05:39 AM   #9
Jato

I was standing next to a guy who dropped his NAA 22LR. It discharged when it struck the ground. No one was hurt. I sold my .22 mag soon after.
Old September 1, 2002, 07:59 AM   #10
gbelleh

Jato,
Was this at a shooting range? Can you explain the circumstances? I'm guessing this didn't happen because it jumped out of his hand while firing.

It seems the hammer would have to be positioned over a live round for it to discharge when dropped. If he had just fired, the hammer would still be positioned over the just fired empty case.

The NAA Mini seems pretty safe to me (even if dropped) because the hammer should never be over a live round until you're ready to fire it. At all other times it should be in one of the "halfway notches" between the chambers or over an unloaded chamber.

Apparently, some older NAA Minis didn't have this "safety cylinder" but they will provide one free to anyone with one of these older models.

I suppose one would have to be careful not to drop it while cocking the hammer etc.

Anyone else have any NAA Mini AD/ND stories to tell?
Old September 1, 2002, 08:23 AM   #11
Mal H
Staff

No ND stories from me. The little revolver is designed well to prevent it from going off if dropped if it is set up correctly. Sounds like the fellow who dropped his and it went off had the hammer uncocked over a live round.

I have the .2LR version only, but I have shot the Mag version. One of your main questions sounds like a concern about the recoil. Both of them are very controllable, neither one will hurt you, from recoil that is. The Mag models will obviously kick a lot more but not such that you would lose control of it. There is no comparison between these and a lightweight .357 Mag - none.

I wouldn't put the accuracy in the good range, but it is passable. Once you master the sights, you can keep the shots on a paper plate at 7 yds, but your aiming must be disciplined since it has such a short sight radius. As WESHOOT2 said, it is more of a contact gun if carried for SD.

Is it a fun gun? Yes. Most everyone is a little afraid of it for the first shot, but they invariably have a grin on their face and say, "that wasn't so bad" after shooting the "Noisy Cricket".
Old September 1, 2002, 09:06 AM   #12
Kentucky Rifle

Mal--I bet that ".2LR version" is small! :)

Mine is so old, it says Newbury Park, Calif, on the side plate. It's a .22LR version. (which, I'm sure that fast typin' Mal MEANT to say! ) It's actually pretty accurate, with a little practice. (However, everybody is right. It's a "get off me!! gun".) I've never noticed any recoil with the .22LR. A very pretty lady member has a .22 mag version and she tells me it "jumps around a little and is very loud".
(Dark brown hair! Sure looks black in Oleg's pictures! )
I think Jim is right. My next "Mini" is going to be a "Black Widow". The "BW" just looks neat. I'll get the "conversion cylinder" and have both .22LR and .22 mag.
By the way. If the fellow who had the AD when he dropped his, and if he doesn't have the "notched safety cylinder", and will send the pistol back to NAA, they will GIVE him a new "notched" safety cylinder for free. I sent my whole pistol in and, from the parts list that NAA replaced, they could have sent me a new pistol for less money. I was ASTOUNDED at the total cost at the bottom of the page. "-0-"! Nada, Zip! Plus, it was REFINISHED!!! The little NAA's, whether Mini or Guardian are guaranteed FOREVER.

KR
Old September 1, 2002, 10:11 AM   #13
Mal H
Staff

Nah, KR, it actually is a .2LR. It was a special run from NAA. Although it is hard to find cartridges for it so sometimes I just take standard cartridges and roll them thinner in a machinist's press. You can't really tell from looking at it that the bore is smaller than normal since it's only .024" smaller.

Old September 1, 2002, 01:00 PM   #14
Kentucky Rifle

Mal...

Hee Hee,
I WONDERED if you'd come back to check this thread!

KR
Old September 1, 2002, 01:31 PM   #15
scott v

Black widow

I second Jim Marchs opinion,get the black widow and put on the birds head grips to make it smaller.Get some cci maxi mag tnt and go have some fun.Also the cci stinger hp is a good 22 lr load.I sold my gardian 32 to get the blackwidow,much nicer.
Old September 1, 2002, 03:13 PM   #16
Paladin7

I have the mini-mag in 1 5/8" with the rubber grips. I love the gun.

2 caliber versatility
Goes anywhere you go
Out to 10' it is surprisingly accurate
.22 mag, which is all I carry in the gun, is easily manageable (the recoil is really nothing)

If I had to use it in a defensive situation, it would be a very close range head shot. Get the .22 mag and don't worry about penetration.

IMHO, GET ONE! You won't be disappointed....

Paladin7
Old September 1, 2002, 09:52 PM   #17
Gino

I've got a 1 5/8" barreled 22lr/mag. Great little gun. Definitely worth the money to add to your collection. Why not get the 22mag model with 22lr conversion? It's a little bigger so it fits the hand better and it gives you the option of another caliber.

I'll third the idea of a BW model. I've been eying that little gun for the last three or four years, and I'm just about ready to get one now.
Old September 1, 2002, 09:52 PM   #18
22mag

I have a NAA mini 22lr/22mag 1 1/8 barrel.Nice solid little gun that you point not realy aim.The 22mags are better with straiter shots.I also have a 22 hammerless Casull ca 2000 5 shot revolver that I load 22 mini mags.The Casull shoots 5 rounds DA action as fast as you pull trigger and has a safety that is a little hard for a child to use if left out.Both are fun guns to play with but you might consider the Berreta 950 .25 .Load with Magsafe 1700 fps .25 caliber ,8 rounds in mag + 1 in barrel (9) shots ! with the power of a .32.I just sent a Berreta .32 back to fix and they are sending me a new gun!! I sent a NAA gun in for repairs and had 6 day return (WoW).Another good company.I have droped the mini 22 many times with no problems.
Old September 1, 2002, 10:04 PM   #19
FPrice

A good friend has one and let me shoot it today. It was hard to shoot because it's so durn small. I was able to keep four shots in an 8" paper plate at 25', but just barely. It might be a fun gun and a last-ditch packup, but no more IMHO.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old September 1, 2002, 11:34 PM   #20
DDGator

Minis are great

I have a .22 Mag with the .22LR cylinder and the oversize rubber grips. The grips add a little bulk for deep concealment purposes, but would be perfect for plinking, etc. Also, the holster grip makes it easy to hold on to and really adds to the "conversation piece" value.

I question the people who say accuracy is poor. I can keep all 5 shots inside a small size plate at 15' with ease. How much more do you want? All shots inside a full size shilloutee without trying that hard at 25'. That is 2" snubby type accuracy to me. Some people on the NAA discussion board shoot them at much greater distances.

I agree that an AD should never happen unless you either don't follow directions or do something unusual. There is no transfer bar or anything, so the hammer shouldnt sit over a live round. When carrying, the hammer rests deep inside a safety notch. If you slip while cocking, the half-cock safety will catch the hammer unless you are pulling the trigger. If you have already fired, the hammer is over an already fired casing. Something was wrong if he had an AD. He may have just loaded the gun and not put it in a safe condition, then dropped it.

Finally, NAA is a fantastic company with great service and top notch products. You can even e-mail the company President and get a response if you want to.

Get the Mini.
Old September 2, 2002, 07:41 PM   #21
nthe10ring

ordered Black Widow

I just recently ordered a Black Widow, after checking with the factory as to the serial # at which they changed the cylinder pin, there had been several folks on the board that had problems with the pin comming out. It should be in somtime this week , looking forward to shooting it. Im gonna put the smaller grips on it for concealment.
Jerry
Old September 4, 2002, 11:25 AM   #22
jmlv

I too have to agree with Jim March

as the owner of 4 of these little revolvers the BlackWidow is by far the most accurate easest to handle gun in the bunch. the 22lr cylinder is worth its weight in gold for practice and plinking, magnum cylinder for serious bisness. The fixed sight version is a bit more streamlined than the adj and the sights are big enough to use effectivly unlike the majority of these little guns. (one friend who regularly carries one of the short barreled 22 lr versions had his front sight fall off, he had the end of the barrel threaded says he'll just screw it in the perps ears and fire if he ever needs it<G>)The hardest to handle by far is the tiny 22 short version, not becouse its recoil but couse its so darned small! Its only got enough grip for 1 finger and even the recoil of a 22 short is enough to rotate it in your hand almost completely. the 22 LR vers ion is a little better in this reguard. My 4th is a pure fun gun. Its the companian BP magnum sized gun. Its a blast to shoot such a tiny cap& ball gun. I have been considering getting one of the 4" mini masters to round out the collection, perhaps some day.
MOLON LABE!
Old September 4, 2002, 12:14 PM   #23
deputy tom

I used to own an LR with the short bbl over 23 years ago.I wished I'd seen this thread before purchasing My latest KT P32.tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old September 4, 2002, 12:20 PM   #24
Tropical Z

I have the .22lr "long barrel" and was shocked at the noise when i touched off that first round.I'm fairly accurate with mine and usually stuff it with CCI stingers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .22lr long barrel naa mini.jpg (50.6 KB, 1375 views)
Old September 5, 2002, 04:56 AM   #25
Jato

Quote:
Jato, Was this at a shooting range? Can you explain the circumstances? I'm guessing this didn't happen because it jumped out of his hand while firing.
We were in a parking lot. The NRR owner was putting stuff in his trunk. The NRR fell out if it's hiding spot (not sure where that was). The NRR struck the ground and discharged. I guess the hammer was over a cartridge, but I can't be sure.

My brother also had a NRR in .22LR. The barrel somehow became bent slightly downward (I am not sure how....sitting on it?).

I think they are frail due to their small size. They are not for me. I think I would rather carry a knife.