The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 9, 2002, 07:08 PM   #1
newbird

.22 Phoenix Arms Auto????????

I am about to place a bid of 100 bucks on one of these little rascals, I have heard they are very reliable and are somewhat accurate for a cheap little .22, anyone have any opinions or thoughts, or for that matter, ANY BAD EXPERIENCES WITH THEM
Old September 9, 2002, 08:01 PM   #2
Mannlicher

it's your money, and your life. Personally, I classify anything by Bryco, Lorcin, Davis, or Phoenix as junk.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 9, 2002, 10:12 PM   #3
22mag

Bought a new Phoenix Raven .25 cal. paid $45. but had to get a used mag the one with it didn't feed.Extra $2. Shot 50 rounds hitting the target every time from 30 feet.Fun to shoot and now is my car gun.Some of these Sat.Night.Sp. make good guns but see if you can return it if not working right .Have fun.
Old September 9, 2002, 10:16 PM   #4
Mesa

I disagree. I have a Phoenix Arms HP22 I paid $49 for at the Atlanta Gun Show and it has been a great little pistol. My brother-in-law has the same pistol he bought new with both barrels and his has been reliable and accurate too.

I have actually owned (and still do), one of the pistols you are talking about instead of just "classifying" it as junk. I wouldn't pay much over $100 for it though, unless it comes with both the long and short barrels that is.

I know of a pawn shop in LaGrange GA that has 2 of the HP22's for $125 each, and one of the HP25's (25ACP) for $130. I imagine they would take less, though I haven't offered.

I also have a Phoenix Arms Raven 25ACP that is surprisingly accurate at 10 yards. It's more fun to shoot than the HP22. But it's far more expensive ammo wise.
Old September 9, 2002, 10:18 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

By "bid" I take it the gun is used. As such, it is worth around $60-$70 at most, provided it does function properly.

Ask to shoot it before you buy or ensure you can get a refund if you can't shoot it first.

NRA Life Member
Old September 10, 2002, 12:53 AM   #6
BucksDC

Go for it

But don't pay over 100.00 (including getting the gun to you). Check pawn shops in your area first! I picked up a brand new HP22 at a pawn shop for 20.00 + a trade of a tasco red dot. You can buy extra mags for the gun for around 15 bucks with the finger extension. The 5 in. bar. + extra mag is around 40.00. The gun is reliable. I have put over 1000 rnds thru mine, all mix and match ammo. 500 in one range trip. Use fmj, the gun does not like HP's. With the 3 in. bar. it is not very accurate past ten ft. But what can you expect? It is a fun little plinker and a good way to pass the time between other weapons. Field stripping is a pain the first time because the manual sucks. Lifetime warrenty. Go for it, but try to find one less expensive, so you can buy all the accessories. Oh forgot. I had 1 FTE and a couple FTF, but all with HP ammo.
Old September 10, 2002, 01:01 AM   #7
cratz2

I used to have a stainless HP22. Shot it for a while then gave it to my mother. With most higher velocity (but not Stingers) ammo I doubt if I had 10 failures in a couple thousand rounds. I overpaid for it from the posts here - I think I paid $89.

I wouldn't carry it as a primary weapon onto a battlefield but then that's not its intended purpose. Its a third the price of a Ruger Mk II and I found it to be very reliable.
Old September 10, 2002, 06:56 AM   #8
mini14jac

I bought a used one that turned out to be worn out.
As the warranty is for the original owner only, I figured I was out of luck.
Called Phoenix anyway, and whined a little.

They said "Send it in."
I got back a gun that is new, except for the slide.
It is picky about what it feeds, but with CCI MiniMags, it will shoot all day, and is surprisingly accurate.
Old September 10, 2002, 07:55 AM   #9
Eric Larsen

Weve had 3 of them in the family over a couple of years and except being ammo specific while breaking in, they were all good guns. They arent the cadillac of guns by anymeans...but prove to be a reliable as my old mans beretta 22. He still shoots his Phoenix and the Beretta stays in the safe..its just a fun gun.
shoot well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old September 10, 2002, 11:00 AM   #10
OkieCruffler

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was trading my Phoenix HP22 for an Explorer pistol. The only problem I ever had with it was that the sights are too primative for the gun's accuracy. It made a great tackle box gun. I took it places that I would never subject my Mitchell to. Looks like I need to hit the pawn shops.
Old September 10, 2002, 12:02 PM   #11
tonyz

Great little 22 IMO. I have over 4000 rounds through this one with no problems. You just have to find the brand of 22s it likes.

Tony

Old September 10, 2002, 09:16 PM   #12
22x9

I've had 3, the first one's frame cracked after 3578 rounds. Sent it to Phoenix Arms and got back a replacement. Like it so much that I I bought one in black and mixed the components.

TFL Alumnus - and proud of it.
Old September 10, 2002, 10:10 PM   #13
k5blazer

Bought one a couple of years ago from a coworker. I later broke the magazine catch and I sent it to the factory. Very impressed with the work they did. Pretty accurate. Very picky about ammo. Great for plinking!
Old September 19, 2006, 01:55 AM   #14
prochun8406

Phoenix Arms Contact info???

I have a .22 Phoenix and I use it for my class. I am currently and NRA instructor and while teaching the range part of the course the pistol broke. I have been trying to get in contact with Phoenix Arms for a while now. Just want the piece repaired. Any info on the company and there contact info?
Old September 20, 2006, 12:02 AM   #15
kozak6

A very good friend of mine has one.

It's the absolute worst pistol I have ever fired. Even worse than a Bryco.

At it's very best, it will fire 3 times in a row before it jams or malfunctions. At worst, every single round in the magazine would jam or malfunction. Accuracy was absolutely terrible as well (when it actually fired).

I'd say to avoid it.
Old September 20, 2006, 12:33 AM   #16
pocketgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by prochun8406
I have a .22 Phoenix and I use it for my class. I am currently and NRA instructor and while teaching the range part of the course the pistol broke. I have been trying to get in contact with Phoenix Arms for a while now. Just want the piece repaired. Any info on the company and there contact info?
Phoenix Arms
4231 Brickell Street
Ontario, CA 91761
(909) 937-6900

They were very pleasant on the phone - no hassle or BS. "Dave" is the guy I spoke with the most. I think he runs the place. My manual safety (the one on the slide) broke about 10 years ago, and it has been in the safe ever since (it moves into "safe" every time it is shot). It is not Phoenix's fault that I have been too lazy to call and get it fixed, though it took me until late last year to get the correct contact information to call them. I finally called a few months back, and they just told me to send it in and they would fix it up. Still here in the box...

HERE is a link that will save you about $20 on shipping. Mine will be going to Phoenix, Inc. (not Phoenix Arms); writing "steal me, pistol enclosed" on the box isn't a good idea.
Old September 20, 2006, 08:36 AM   #17
Laserlips

FWIW:

My wife bought me one years ago, and it was merde...:barf:

Maybe you'll have better luck.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy
Old October 3, 2008, 08:40 AM   #18
lonestarbandit

phoenix hp 22

i had one for many years and eventually sold it. never found another one. been trying but no luck on a good priced one. finally found one on auction arms in blued with the kit, original box, manual, etc. cant wait for it to get here.
and im not a cheap gun fan either. cheapest gun i have is a taurus 24/7c in stainless. least till my 2nd phoenix gets here

i loved that gun. i ran prob over 1000 rnds through it and nothing broke. its awsome as a plinking pistol or as a ankle holster weapon as a backup to more serious hardware. i loved the phoenix arms hp22. and anyone that discounts it as being a "junk gun" are seriously mistaken. you cannot lump this gun in with loricin jennings etc and yes i know phoenix arms ARE the original jennings company but things changed after the fire.

and no, i dont work for phoenix lol. in fact i hate the raven 25. but the hp 22 id take in a heartbeat. with todays financial mess, id rather practice with a decent 22 pistol than blow through 100s and 100s of 9 mil rounds/ 45 rounds. i can shoot all day for cheap with a brick of 22 rounds. if i find another 1/2 good deals on these guns i will purchase them as well. one will go to my widowed mother (father was active duty as was i) as shes uncomfortable around any gun. i think she would actually use this to defend herself if needed in her home.
Old October 3, 2008, 06:22 PM   #19
bigghoss

$100 bucks seams a bit steep but of the small cheap pocket .22's it's a pretty good one. I just took a buddy out shooting who had one and aside from the like 9 manual safeties that all have to be engaged to reload I really liked it. didn't jam once even though I tried. cheap ammo as fast as I could pull the trigger and it worked every time.
Old October 7, 2008, 05:56 PM   #20
lonestarbandit

are you kidding me now? 100.00 for the kit with the target barrel target clip with finger rest etc? in the orig. box, as new condition manual etc? to me that was a deal. i couldnt get the gun stores around here to order me JUST the gun no target barrel etc for less than 160 out the door. i know i paid 89.00 7 years ago for the 1st hp22 i had in a gun store. i think i did pretty good lol. but each to his own. yes the 23 safeties are a bit much i plan to mod the magazine interlock so i can lock it back without the clip in it, otherwise ill let it be.
Old October 9, 2008, 01:24 AM   #21
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
I used to own one (it was stolen from me).

It was accurate as all get out, but it wouldn't function properly after about 500 rounds.

It would stove pipe. It would not extract...ever! It became a single shot paper weight at best.

It is also a real pain to field strip and reassemble.

Maybe the HP25's are better (feeding and extracting wise). I have kind of considered buying one, but I am in no big hurry on that.

There are far more guns I want to get before that one.

$100 new is a decent price. That is close to what I paid for a NIB HP22.

$100 for a used one means you are getting ripped off.
Old April 6, 2011, 06:50 PM   #22
cuttman58

make sure you do not modify the safety because if you do it voids the lifetime warrenty i found this out the hardway when after just 50 rounds the trigger locked and i sent gun back in and they sent it back and said warrenty was voided and they would not fix or replace
Old April 6, 2011, 06:53 PM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

The one my father has has been nothing but perfect. 3,000 rounds through it or so. Not an issue.

ONLY PROBLEM....

Take down is a b and reassembly also...Beware, get really used to it or something.

Haven't seen too many of them to tell you to get it or not. Just stating my personal experience. I could have been lucky for all I know.
Old April 6, 2011, 07:13 PM   #24
MrWesson

Quote:
make sure you do not modify the safety because if you do it voids the lifetime warrenty i found this out the hardway when after just 50 rounds the trigger locked and i sent gun back in and they sent it back and said warrenty was voided and they would not fix or replace
TROLL ALERT!

Stop bumping every phoenix arms thread to rant. I have a modded safety and have for 10 years or so and my gun has gone back to them quite a few times.
Old April 6, 2011, 09:16 PM   #25
OkieCruffler

It wouldn't surprise me if Phoenix wouldn't honor their warrenty if the gun has been modified. I don't know of any manufacturers who will.