The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 21, 2002, 08:31 PM   #1
Big Al

Darn it, P32 is factory-bound

Okay, now I'm gonna have to send my P32 back. Took it out to the range the other day, and the first mag shot through fine. The next mag, ever round "light-stiked", firing after resetting the trigger by pulling back the slide slightly. The onlt thing I can figure is that kepping it loaded wtih one up the pipe for so long has weakened the trigger spring or something.

Anyway, my P32 is a pretty early SN, so I figure I've just been luck so far. What kind of upgrades have they offered so far? I got the improved recoil spring system, but I've heard the trigger springs have been upgraded and something with the extractor.

Do any of you P32 owners know who a good person to talk to at Kel-Tec would be?

Thanks in advance
Ruger 22/45 - "The Toy"

"Oh yeah? Well I talk LOOOUDLY! And I carry a BIIIGGER stick! And I'll use it, too." -Yoesemite Sam
Old November 21, 2002, 08:44 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Sounds more like the firing pin broke...
Old November 21, 2002, 10:07 PM   #3
BamBam

Could be that your firing pin set screw is too tight or that the firing pin is mushroomed. Cleaning/polishing the firing pin might fix it, too.

Valerie is the P-32 gunsmith at K-T. she may even talk you thru a repair.

Check out the Kel-Tec Owners Group for all you wanted to know about the P-32 and more. Real nice site:

http://www.ktog.org/vbulletin/
Old November 22, 2002, 07:30 AM   #4
Jay C

I would expect an decent upgrade of springs/ barrel etc. When I sent mine in that is what I got in return for $0.00. Turn around time was about 8 days. Also a complete F&B was done. I was very pleased, has fired w/o a hiccup since!
Old November 22, 2002, 07:57 AM   #5
mini14jac

I think KelTecs just get homesick every now and then.

Seriously though, can you describe your light strike?
Did it feel like you got a good trigger stroke, but no ignition?
Or, did it feel like the trigger kind of "short stroked", causing the hammer to strike without going back all the way?

I've seen both types of failures.
My wife's gun was getting a good hammer strike, but no ignition, on occasion.
KelTech sent a new hammer spring that fixed the problem, but now the trigger on her gun is almost as bad as a KelTec P11.

On my gun, and my brother's gun, we would occasionally get a "short stroke" on the trigger.
The hammer would fall, but you just knew that the trigger hadn't been pulled back far enough.

A new hammer block will usually fix that.
Maybe a new hammer.

Finally, have you tried other ammo?
It may be that your gun just doesn't like a particular brand.
That is not unusual.

As far as upgrades, if you have a recent serial number, you should have all the latest fixes.
If you send it in, they will prob. replace hammer, hammer block, hammer spring, and maybe a few other things.

Hope this helps.
Old November 22, 2002, 11:11 AM   #6
Big Al

I got a good trigger stroke, and a sharp click when the hammer fell - just no bang. My p32 is a really early SN, and I've noticed on the newer ones you don't have quite as far of a "trigger stroke" before the hammer falls. On mine, you've always had to pull the trigger almost all the way to the rear before the hammer fell.
Ruger 22/45 - "The Toy"

"Oh yeah? Well I talk LOOOUDLY! And I carry a BIIIGGER stick! And I'll use it, too." -Yoesemite Sam
Old November 22, 2002, 11:37 AM   #7
mini14jac

Hey Big Al,

I misread your earlier post.
I thought you said you had a newer serial number.

Your problem could be a firing pin problem, or a weak hammer spring.
Since it is an older gun, I would send it back.
I'm actually not aware of any changes they have made to the design.
I know they switched manufacturers on some items.

If you send it off, you will get basically a new gun in return.
And, they were sending an exta mag back, just for kicks.
Don't know if they still do that or not.

(By the way, good job describing the failure.
I'm always amazed at the people that can tell you something didn't work, they just can't tell you how it didn't work. )

Last edited by mini14jac; November 22, 2002 at 11:58 AM.
Old November 22, 2002, 11:38 AM   #8
Snowdog

I had a very similar situation myself a few months back. Like you, I too have an early model P32 (I was the envy of all in my area, as I was the first on the waiting list to receive the elusive P32 a couple years back).

The problem with mine was a broken mainspring. It would put a healthy dent in the primer, but not quite ignite the ammunition. I noticed a change in the overall "feel" of the trigger as well. In addition, the slide would have to be racked in order for the hammer to reset, but ignition was still a no-go.

Trust me, if there's a silver lining, it's that Keltec has an excellent customer service. The turn-around time for my P32 was about a week (!) and I received an additional blue carry-case and trigger lock along with an apology. Who else does that?

On lazy days, I can be found carrying my P32 in lieu of my K9.

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old November 22, 2002, 11:39 AM   #9
yzguy

take a look at the rear of the firing pin. Is is mushroomed out? (espesialy at the bottom) This will cause the very rear of it to be too big to fit properly in to the hole in the slide. If so you could file/sand/grind off the protruding metal and watch it closely for further change, or call KT and have them send out a new FP (or both).

If not, then take an allen wrench (or something similar) and with the slide locked back push the firing pin forward from the rear. It should go forward smoothly, and go inside the slide a little before bottoming out. Also you should see the tip of the FP sticking out of the breach face. If this action is gritty or hangs up it could be your problem.

Have you ever taken the FP out to clean it and the hole it is in? Maybe it has finaly gummed up enough to slow the FP down...

check out the first part of this page for light strike help:
http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep2.htm
and also:
http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/lightstrikes.html

as far as upgrades, the only thing I know of that makes any real difference is the groove they started putting in the slide stop to retain the slidestop/assembly pin spring.

Here are a couple of pics of the upgraded slide stop for my P-32 with the groove in it next to the original without the groove:

here is where the spring rests in the groove when assembled:

if you need help taking it apart for the slide stop:
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm
Old November 22, 2002, 05:49 PM   #10
Gary L. Griffiths

Just had my P-32 fixed at K-T, while I was in the area. Rode my Moto Guzzi over from Apopka. Mine was an early one, SN# 026XX, and had developed the habit of having the assembly pin back out during firing. That I could live with, but then I started getting light strike misfires. The gun has had about 600 rds through it, mostly FN FMJs, but some Fiocchi and Cor-Bon.

Val said the frame was worn, so she replaced it completely -- I now have my old slide/barrel group on a brand new frame (same SN). Works fine so far, but I've only put about 25 rds thru it as of yet.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old November 23, 2002, 06:02 PM   #11
Big Al

It's good to hear their customer service is still tops. I just e-mailed Val yesterday, waiting to hear back.
Ruger 22/45 - "The Toy"

Old November 23, 2002, 07:13 PM   #12
Guyon

Glad to hear the customer service is so good. I'm thinking seriously about getting myself a P11 for Xmas this year.
Old November 23, 2002, 07:25 PM   #13
Kahrma from Shooters

I thought reliability would be more impressive.
Old November 25, 2002, 10:45 AM   #14
yzguy

Quote:
It's good to hear their customer service is still tops. I just e-mailed Val yesterday, waiting to hear back.
you might want to call.... email seems to be their 1 customer service down fall....

oh and if anyone else is having the assembly pin backing out problem (or like me just did not ever want to have it) then check out this link:
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/assemblypin.htm
Old November 25, 2002, 05:18 PM   #15
Big Al

Got an e-mail yesterday from Valerie - sending off the P32 this week.
Ruger 22/45 - "The Toy"

Old November 26, 2002, 09:24 AM   #16
Kentucky Rifle

Hey AL...

Post what they did when you get it back. I'll bet they did MORE than you expected.

KR