The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 26, 2002, 02:45 PM   #1
Correia

Just got myself a $120 AR15.

Ok, now this has probably got to be the best gun deal that I've ever gotten, and I'm not even really an AR15 kinda guy. Heck, I traded my last AR to another TFLer for a Kimber.

It came about through a complicated series of trades involving guns, cammo, pistol ammo, spare parts, holsters and some favors.

I was working at the gunshow selling Scott Evan's G-Code holsters (www.range5.com) when I ran into one of the guys from ASA. (Who I had shot against at the SWAT WC3gun). He was looking for a certain carry gun. So I hooked him up with a TFLer who was selling that gun. So he now needed a holster and mag carriers, but was looking to trade rather than buy. Not needing any AR stuff I put him in contact with another friend who was selling some rare cammo. They made a deal, and then I traded my friend some pistol ammo (that my gun did not like anyway) for the cammo, so then the cammo and holsters were traded for an AR upper. Which then put me looking for a lower. CavArms was in a table adjoining ASA, so I purchased a factory blemished lower at a specially low price because another friend was purchasing a bulk order from them and I got in at his price. The lower was then finished with various spare parts. And the guy from Cav Arms put the lower together for a Molon Labe hat.

Complicated huh? Well anyway I wound up with a mutant hybrid AR, and once all the horse tradeing was sorted out I'm out about $120, plus I owe some serious favors to some people.

It is an ASA upper, 20 inch HBAR with muzzle brake, carry handle, A2 sights, and the extra fat OD green handguards. The lower is a polymer Cav 15 in OD green with a stock that is about 2 inches longer than the standard LOP. Perfect for a big guy.

I will not be able to shoot the gun until Thanksgiving morning. Should be interesting. Just thought that I would share.
Old November 26, 2002, 02:53 PM   #2
No4Mk1

Thats some mighty fine horse trading there!

Post a pic of the "Franken-rifle" if you can and let us know how it shoots!

Lee.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old November 26, 2002, 04:44 PM   #3
Redlg155

Wow..serious trading there!

I'm still trying to understand it all!

Anyway..let us know how the lower performs. I'd love to get a CAV ARMS lower someday for my collection.

Good SHooting
RED
Old November 26, 2002, 05:12 PM   #4
Ledbetter

From my perspective, here in California, this all seems so unfair. Glad it was you, Larry. Enjoy.

Regards.
Old November 26, 2002, 07:47 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hoss trader. Good luck with that gun and give us a follow-up report.
Old November 27, 2002, 12:27 AM   #6
Correia

I get to shoot it the day after tomorrow. Hopefully all will go well.

No digital camera, but maybe after Thanksgiving I can go by skyders or PvtPyles and use theirs.
Old November 27, 2002, 01:55 AM   #7
Kaliburz

Hummmm...... was this at a gun show on friday? Must have been Russell.... (The CAV Arms guy) if I'm thinking the right show....

You'll like the Cav-15..... I do.
Old November 27, 2002, 01:59 AM   #8
yorec

Kewl. Gotta get that bad boy up and running. Then, just think, You'll actually be able to move around when you're shooting in the 3 gun matches. Oh for a light rifle when competing!

Have fun with it.
Old November 27, 2002, 01:32 PM   #9
Correia

I don't know yorec, it is fun to have that .308 listed after my name in the overall scores. Usually reads something like this:

You get the idea.
Old November 27, 2002, 07:22 PM   #10
yorec

Yeah, that is kinda cool.
Old November 28, 2002, 11:39 AM   #11
MiniZ

Good job Correia!!

I have been thinking about building up a "race gun" on a Cav Arms lower.(Maybe the Dewalt yellow??). We anxiously await your shooting report.
Old November 28, 2002, 12:44 PM   #12
Kevinch

Correa - I'm glad you made a good deal!

I'll have to take your word for it though. I tried to follow the investment procedure but keep getting lost & ending up in Tenbucktwo..
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine
Old November 28, 2002, 12:48 PM   #13
Kaliburz

I have several Cav-15s and I love them all.

I purchased my first one a few months after I found out about them (about 3-6 months after they started manufacturing). I actually started in "AR's" w/ the Cavalry Arms CAV-15. I like the longer stock and the beveled mag well is great. I prefer the grip on a Cav vs a standard AR (yes, I know I can change it). I have more Cav's then I do 'aluminum' AR's. I like the option of being able to have different colors. For some, this is against 'tradition', but heck, why not I say. The newer models have tight takedown pins, but that isn't a big deal for me (I don't have to use an accuwedge then).
Old November 28, 2002, 01:10 PM   #14
jc121

I think you did great and that score you turned in just might get you a nice mag to use in your new ar15. I think steve went to low on the x's so I really think you are in the drivers seat right now. steve took 488 and your 492 are close so, but you guys must think that I'am going to have a off day.

I love the trading thing as it gets you some good deals in the end and all you are out alot of the time is your time.

been saving up some things for some trading myself but not where I'am at yet but getting close. plan on another match rifle so have been socking away 20 and 30 round usgi m16 mags for about 3 weeks now and at last rough count it stands at about 140. my goal is about 300 plus before I let any of them go but that number will be reached in a few weeks so I may wait and add a few more as I really do not plan on getting the new rifle till sometime in feb.
Old November 30, 2002, 09:01 PM   #15
Correia

JC. That was a good bet.

I was able to get some rounds down range through my Franken AR.

Here is what I have learned so far. I love the Cavarms lower except for one thing. Usually when I am shooting high speed (3 gun style stuff) I usually hold the mag well and magazine. (pull it back into my body, really aggressive forward leaning stance) However if you do that with this gun you will have a malfunction.

It was kind of weird actually. I would blaze through an entire 30 round magazine with no problem. Same mag, same ammo, have a jam every round. Couldn't figure out why, until I let another guy at the range play with it, and I notice that while he was shooting it he grasped the forearm really far out he had no malfunctions. So I played around with it a bit more after that. Hold the mag=jam. Hold the handguard=flawless. Go figure. I just won't hold the magazine.

Accuracy with the ASA upper was good. I was shooting iron sights, and mostly just messing around to get the sights regulated, but it looks like it has real accuracy potential. For some reason though I have the rear sight windage really cranked to one side to hit. I'm not familiar enough with AR sights to know why that is. I'll have to play with it some more.

The recoil is the big surprise. With the ASA heavy barrel, muzzle brake, and ergonomic stock, the muzzle actually dips DOWN under rapid fire. I started cranking off three rounds at a time, and sure enough I was getting vertical stringing, but it was going in the opposite direction that you would normally think of. Recoil was so mild that you could keep an almost perfect sight picture while shooting 100 and 200 yard steel targets.

So far I'm very pleased, this gun has a lot of potential.
Old November 30, 2002, 09:10 PM   #16
C.R.Sam

When I see a gun that is zeroed and the rear sight is cranked way off to the side...
I look at the front sight/barrel. On a lot of guns it means that the barrel is either over or under screwed into the action.

Tho I have used the M16 at work, I don't remember if the above is applicable in your case.

Darn good horse tradin Larry.

Sam