The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 18, 2004, 12:00 PM   #1
Dave R

P-3AT Owners: How do ya like it?

Since the P-3AT is a new development since TFL was last up, I thought I'd ask P-3AT owners how they like it. I assume there are some owners with problems, as there have been with other Kel-Tec pistols.

Mine has been a jewel. The only FTF I have had was with Silver Bear ammo, which is steel-cased Russian. With brass ammo it has not missed yet.

I shoot it a little more accurately than I did the P-32. Dunno if that's due to the slightly larger dimensions fitting my hand a little better, or maybe just my prior experience with the P-32 coming into play.

It seems every bit as carry-able as the P-32. I even use the same holster (sorry, holster-makers) and same pocket(s).

All in all, high marks from this P-3AT user.
Old May 18, 2004, 12:10 PM   #2
DDGator

I love my P-3AT. There is nothing else like it (except maybe a P-32!). An easy carry -- no different than the P-32.

Mine has been flawless -- no failures at all.

The ONLY drawbacks are the lack of a slide stop and one less round than the P-32 -- but to me, the .380 round and the better ammunition availalbe for it more than make up the difference.
Old May 18, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3
Greg L

I really like mine. My biggest complaints are the lack of a slide stop & that the spring is really stiff & makes pulling the slide back impossible for Mrs L. (so for once she didn't claim a pistol that she liked ).

Much like the P-32 it just vanishes when I need to carry something small that won't be noticed.

Greg
Old May 18, 2004, 12:50 PM   #4
Carbon_15

quite alot thank you.

one failure to extract in about 500 rounds, suprisingly accurate, and controlable.

http://carolinashootersforum.com/index.php
Old May 18, 2004, 12:57 PM   #5
shooter.45

I just got one about 1 week ago and love it great little gun. No problems at all so far..
Old May 18, 2004, 01:02 PM   #6
customfret

After reading many complaints about the first of the P3AT's on the BBS's, I decided to wait a few months before buying & it must have paid off, because mine has over 600 rounds of white box, handloads (mostly) and a few Black Hills JHP's without a single glitch of any kind. The trigger felt better out of the box than my P-32's which has been fluffed & buffed, and I was going to just shoot it & not clean it just to see how dirty it had to get to malf, but after my fourth range session of 50 rounds ea. (about all I care to shoot at one time) I couldn't stand it finally cleaned & lubed it. My wife did need a short practice session with the P3AT unloaded, learning how to best grasp the slide & push it open and for her a slide stop would have been nice.....but she has learned to manage it without OK. Mine weighs exactly 1 oz. more fully loaded than my fully loaded P-32... which IS enough to be noticable with front pocket carry, but still not a problem.
Old May 18, 2004, 01:58 PM   #7
71Commander

What are the ballistics differences between the 2 rounds out of these 2 guns only? Is it enough to sacrifice the extra round? Or the slide stop?

Patriot Guard Rider
Old May 18, 2004, 03:02 PM   #8
Dave R

To me, the difference is more than worth it.

.32cp is a 60-72 grain bullet going 800-950fps.

.380acp is a 90-102 grain bullet going 1000fps+

Muzzle energy is what, under 200 ft. lbs for 32 and about 250 ft. lbs for .380? Anyway, I did my own "expansion testing" is wet newsprint, and it looked to me like .380 "wound channels" were 75% of a 9mm. .32acp was more like half or less.
Old May 18, 2004, 03:10 PM   #9
goodshot

Finally, it feels good to see this site back up and buzzing.
I bought a P3AT after buying a P-11, and a Kahr pm-40. All three have been pretty much flawless. I had to push the trigger pin back in on the P3AT, but that was no biggie. Out of all the new hardware I always seem to be totin' the .380. 8 ounces is almost nothin' ! I've got about 300 rounds through it so far and it digests everything with no hiccups. For me, right now, it's my perfect answer- BAT. (best available technology)
Old May 18, 2004, 03:56 PM   #10
mini14jac

I finally sent mine back to the takedown pin issue resolved, and get the hard chrome treatment.
I have over 300 rounds through mine, and other than the takedown pin backing out, and odd empties hitting me in the head, I like mine.
It is a handful to shoot.
I shot my P32 more at the range, but the bigger bullet is more comforting.
Old May 18, 2004, 03:58 PM   #11
dawg23

Fine - after it went back to the factory for feeding and ejection problems.

Turns out I had an early model that was in a "recall" (kinda like Glock's "recall" in that it wasn't announced). Anyway, they replaced the entire slide and barrel and reimbursed me for my shipping.

Kel-Tec's customer service is GREAT. Quality Control could be a bit better, but it's hard to quibble about their service.
Old May 18, 2004, 06:40 PM   #12
Rebeldon

I had some problems with the trigger spring but it was corrected. Now it works fine, except it doesn't like ball ammo. It only likes to feed hollow points.
Old May 18, 2004, 07:04 PM   #13
asp

Just bought a new one yesterday. It functioned flawlessly the first time out. I've had three P32's, and although all were problem-free, I didn't feel great about the caliber. The P3AT makes one fine little BUG.
Old May 18, 2004, 07:22 PM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
It only likes to feed hollow points.
Wow, that's different. Most semi's feed ball better than HP's. Oh, well, yours at least has the right preference.
Old May 18, 2004, 08:04 PM   #15
Gino

I got one a couple of months ago. Went to the range and had a problem - the take-down pin started to back out after about 20 rounds. This is a known problem (like mini14jac stated). I called and they sent me a knew take-down pin, this one a couple of thousanths an inch different. I haven't tested it yet.

This is a potentially serious problem. If you allow the pin to back out, it can/will ruin the receiver.
Old May 19, 2004, 05:23 AM   #16
telewinz

I've had mine for a month now and have fired it twice at the range for about 100 reloads. I love it! Lots of power in a very small package. The 'H' prefix serial number has all "fixes".

Last edited by telewinz; May 19, 2004 at 05:24 AM.
Old May 19, 2004, 10:41 AM   #17
dawg23

Any 3AT with a letter in the serial number (as opposed to all digits) should have all the upgrades.

Any "all digit" serial number below 3000 is suspect.

Last edited by dawg23; May 19, 2004 at 10:43 AM.
Old May 19, 2004, 03:16 PM   #18
Gino

My 3AT is serial number H5XXX and it didn't have the new take-down pin - or at least they shipped me a replacement that was slightly different. It does seem that maybe these guns aren't quite through their teething problems yet.
Old May 19, 2004, 08:32 PM   #19
ddc

Hello Gino,
How recently did you purchase yours with the H5xxx serial number?
Thanks.
Old May 19, 2004, 08:52 PM   #20
Gino

ddc,

I got it two months ago at a gun show down here in Florida. The dealer had just gotten in seven of them and sold all that weekend at the show.
Old May 20, 2004, 06:57 AM   #21
shooter.45

I purchased my P3AT about 1 week ago and My SN# is H7xxx and so far no problems,
Old May 20, 2004, 07:19 AM   #22
johnwill

My P3AT has trouble with Blazer ammo, but has functioned perfectly with any other brands. I figure I'll just ignore the Blazer. It's pushing the Colt Mustang out of my pocket as a carry gun, it really is a featherweight.
Old May 21, 2004, 10:51 AM   #23
W Turner

I've been a fan of KT ever since I bought a P11 about 5 years ago. My P3AT is my everyday, 100%, when I'm not carrying a gun carry gun. I bought mine in November of last year and it was one of the earliest with letters in the serial number.
It has been 100% reliable with every kind of ammo I have shot thru it. THis includes UMC, Speer Gold Dots, Georgia Arms loaded Gold Dots, and Federal Hydra-Shok.
My only gripe with it is that when I put the pocket clip on mine, the bolt head digs into my thumb knuckle when shooting. Bad enough to leave a scab afterward.

Mongo
Old May 21, 2004, 11:45 AM   #24
Dave R

Mongo, ouch. Bummer on the belt clip. A pocket holster would fix that...

Johnwill, I have not tried Blazer in my P-3AT. I did try it in my P-32 and had problems. Didn't Kel-Tec say not to use Blazer in one of their pistols? Or maybe that was just KTOG??
Old May 21, 2004, 07:42 PM   #25
Safety First

Last week my dealer FINALLY got in my P3AT Hard Chrome Slide. It is in my pocket now loaded with gold dot hp's in a Ron Graham Maverick holster. I think I am going to be very happy with it. The serial no is H7xxx so I hope it has all the latest updates including the new pin that will not walk-out when you fire the gun. I tell you, you can put this gun in your pocket and almost forget it is there. So as others before me have coined the phrase, it is "my always gun" it will be with me either as back-up or primary when dress reasons want allow me to take the Sig. I don't know when I will be able to put it through it's paces but I will share with you the good news or not-so good, whatever the case. $269 plus tax with no ffl or shipping was not a brag about deal,but it was fair.