The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 21, 2004, 04:36 PM   #1
gbelleh

New TFL topic: The .50 GI

I don't believe this new cartridge has been discussed here on TFL yet. What do you all think of it? Does it serve a valuable purpose? Or another soon-to-be-obsolete answer to a question no one asked?

I kind of like it myself. If I had the money to spare, I'd like to get one to play with.
Old May 21, 2004, 04:41 PM   #2
Handy

Hey, if you think that bullets gain immense killing power every time you add .05" of diameter, this cartridge is the obvious conclusion.

No stupider than alot of other cartridges, and it looks like it would feed fine, so why not? A fine rejoiner for the "ain't nothing if it's not .45" crowd.
Old May 21, 2004, 05:13 PM   #3
krept

gotta love "fifty caliber"

other than that? Wonder how well it's penetration characteristics will be... IIRC the bullets are light for the diameter. .50 AE is pretty mighty, not to mention S&Ws new cartridge.

I think it's a cool idea, but my heart lies with .45 ACP.

cheers
Old May 21, 2004, 05:23 PM   #4
gbelleh

The .50 GI seems to have 300 gr bullets available (with velocities in the high 800 fps range).

I'd like to see what it can actually do too. I'm sure it would be fun to shoot!
Old May 21, 2004, 07:59 PM   #5
VaughnT

edited. wrong thread. sorry.

Last edited by VaughnT; May 21, 2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old May 22, 2004, 02:04 AM   #6
Hand_Rifle_Guy

Sure we did!

We just called it something ELSE.

As it happens, it was post #2 for me when I signed onto this forum for the very first time.

Some others in the same vein:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=89799

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=54133

And we really hammered it out over on THR: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...threadid=59742

Now for here-and-now, we have the source, which is Guncrafter Industries, Who are a pair of talented gunsmiths who deciphered this thing from the beginning.

They use a bull-barreled bushingless stock size 1911, with an ACP-length .50 caliber round shoving a 300-grain bullet out at 700-725 fps which they claim has a recoil profile very similar to .45 ACP hardball. Their site also states that this can be pushed up to as fast as 900 fps without undo strain on the shooter. They use a match-grade barrel with 1 in 18" twist.

They sell loaded ammo for $14.95/20, and also offer dies ($75.00) and brass ($.33/proprietary case) for the reloader. As the round operates at low pressure, brass life is long and prosper.

This is just the round I wanted to create. (Me and a bunch of other folks. Great minds think alike. ) A .50-caliber bullet at low speeds, and low pressure, but a nice heavy bullet. They build the guns the same way I figured would be the easyiest way to do it, also. There's plenty of room in a 1911 slide when you take the bushing out and run a bull-barrel, which is a well-developed set-up in the 1911.

They won't sell a conversion kit, as they say there's some major re-engineering going on in the frame, but they DO sell a conversion kit to run their gun on .45 ACP, which strikes me as good planning. (My take on their engineering is to start with a widebody frame and make a custom mag for it, and probably tweak the ejector. But I dunno, and they're not forthcoming.)

Their set-up requires a proprietary slide, barrel, and magazine, and some rework on the frame. Magazines hold 7 rounds, and are available for $44.95. The .45 conversion kit runs in at $365.00 with an 8-round magazine.

The label reads:
".50GI(tm) Ammunition 300 grain TMJ 700 fps
Guncrafter Industries, LLC. 171 Madison 1157, Huntsville, AR 72740
479-665-2466 www.Guncrafterindustries.com"

The Model No.1 itself retails for a cool $2895 with 2 mags. Not bad, I suppose, in the context of all match-grade parts. A premium Wilson Combat or Caspian gun is comparably priced. I just wish they had an economy version in there somewhere for us poor folks. 3 grand is a big chunka change, but if ya gotta, ya gotta. No-one ELSE seems to running out with a .50 conversion, so I say kudos to these guys, and I wish I was rich. I wonder how many they've sold so far.

I wonder if you could send in your frame and have 'em set it up for you so as to save a bit of cash if you've allready got a widebody frame you'd be willing to convert. That'd help offset the cost of the .45 conversion kit.

Well, what we need NOW is some TFL'er with more money that I've got (And a state without a drop-test extortion racket.) to get one of these cool-concept-realized guns and show us what they're really all about. American Handgunner is writing an article about 'em in their next issue, so that'll just have to to do until then.

I want one of these so much I actually (Horror of horrors!) consider the idea of liquidating some of the existing collection to buy it. However, that's just a pipe dream in this state, so I just get to say "Sour grapes!"

Stupid state. Ahnuld! Fix this crap!

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old May 22, 2004, 10:26 AM   #7
CastleBravo

Interesting piece of hardware. Though I've got to question the wisdom of making the initial product for the .50 GI cartridge a $3,000 gun.
Old May 22, 2004, 10:44 AM   #8
JohnK

I bet it would make a GREAT bowling pin gun. It's interesteing, but the $3,000 price tag dims my enthusiasm for it.

People have been asking for something like this for years, if they can ever build one for $600 I bet they'd sell like gangbusters.

http://www.handloads.com
Molan Labe!
Old May 22, 2004, 11:31 AM   #9
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Much like jello, there's always room for another funky boutique cartridge.

I think the problem with "conversions" is that this gun uses a frame with a few different dimensions than a standard 1911...
Old May 25, 2004, 09:04 AM   #10
ArmaLube

It is always a delight to see unique, high quality introductions to the handgun field. Clearly in a class by itself, the GI Model No. 1 will fit ordinary sized hands and extraordinary sized budgets.

This is a perfect pistol for discerning hand cannon afficionados. If you buy one, chances are you friends won't have the same model. Therefore, you will probably be the only one on the block sporting the Model No. 1.
Old May 25, 2004, 07:10 PM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

It would be easy to convert a gun that had a wide body frame, like a KZ-45 or CZ-97, or Para Ord.

Maybe.

I'd take a Para Warthog .50.... but I wouldn't be able to shoot it very much.
Old June 28, 2004, 09:39 AM   #12
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Why a .50 cal 1911?

Attributed to Texas Ranger Captain Bob Crowder, sometime in the 1960s:

Q: Cap'n, why do you carry a forty-five automatic?

A: Because Colt's doesn't make a forty-SIX automatic.

Johnny
Old June 28, 2004, 09:59 AM   #13
Hard Ball

I am sure John Browning knew what he was doing. Good .45ACP JHPs are enough! And hard ball FMJs will do the job. A 99 year track record proves that,