The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 9, 2004, 09:59 PM   #1
branrot

Rohrbaugh

Are they for sale? Has anyone actually seen one? How are they? How much do they cost? How can I get one? How does it compare to the Kahr PM9 and PM40?
Old June 9, 2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Jamie Young

They are for sale AFAIK but there is a bit of wait.

Two guys that came to the last THR/TFL gathering I held got theirs delivered by Eric Rohrbaugh himself. I only talked to him for a few minutes since he was anxious to get on the firing line.

The only ones I've seen up close were the Rorhbaugh R9S. I didn't have a chance to shoot them, though.

I have a hard time not laughing at calibers smaller than 9mm for CCW but these Rorhbaughs seem interesting.
Old June 9, 2004, 10:22 PM   #3
topspin

Yup. The guy makes them right here on Long Island. For that kind of money, for what you get, I'll stick to my Kahr P9 and my Glock 30 THANK YOU!!!! I got those two pistols for the price of what they want for that thing. And.......Nobody tells me, "You can't shoot this, and you should'nt shoot that." in my guns.
Old June 9, 2004, 10:34 PM   #4
auldpharght

Small caliber weapons...and, oh yeah, the Rohrbaugh.

"I have a hard time not laughing at calibers smaller than 9mm for CCW."

Really? Laughing? So you wouldn't mind letting me use you for target practice with my 7.1 oz. (fully loaded) NAA Mini .22 Mag? Hell, it couldn't hurt, IT'S ONLY A .22!!!

I would not laugh at ANY caliber used for concealed carry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rohrbaugh? The capacity is insufficient...the grip is microscopic...the sight radius is too short...the recoil too sharp...on and on
go the innumerable articles and opinions.

IMHO, it's an oddity that will ultimately be a moderately priced collector's item. New manufactures and designs are interesting, but few make the grade to permanancy.

Auldpharght
Old June 9, 2004, 11:06 PM   #5
Jamie Young

Quote:
Really? Laughing? So you wouldn't mind letting me use you for target practice with my 7.1 oz. (fully loaded) NAA Mini .22 Mag? Hell, it couldn't hurt, IT'S ONLY A .22!!!

Nah, just the last time somebody tried to kill me he was 6'4" 260lbs and on PCP. It only took 5 cops to knock him down. I'd rather prepare for the worst rather than the minimum.

Carry what you feel safe with.

Last edited by Jamie Young; June 10, 2004 at 01:02 AM.
Old June 10, 2004, 12:34 AM   #6
P95Carry

Quote:
The capacity is insufficient...the grip is microscopic...the sight radius is too short...the recoil too sharp..
OK so - we have a small 9mm POCKET pistol .... about as small as it gets. It is CNC precision engineered .. and emminently pocketable.

Grips are ''microscopic'' .... well, goes with the territory! Sight radius too short? Of course it's short .. this is a diminutive POCKET pistol. It is intended for close up and personal .. 6+1 capacity! Is that ''insignificant'' .... for a true pocket piece?? Beats my daily carry SP-101 with FIVE.

It weighs in at 12.8 oz without mag and yet is metal ... thru and thru, except for grips.

Recoil??? ....... Sure it is sharp ... not surprising for its size. But in extremis if all you have is a concealable small pistol then R9 will do the job ... and well. It's sight radius is small .. of course it is .. it's a real small gun. Arguably - sights hardly needed at the close up situations where it might be used!

I have one .. and another on the way. Think of it what you will but ... it is remarkable and as far as I am concerned ... it is about the ultimate small 9mm piece.

I was one of the two Jamie referred to .... sorry still that he did not get to shoot it. Later hopefully.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site
Old June 10, 2004, 02:17 AM   #7
croyance

If capacity is insufficent, better throw out those J-frames. Those 5-shot S&W's are worse.

If recoil is too sharp, I say get rid of all Scandium allow guns. A .357 magnum S&W with a 2" barrel in Scandium is a bit lighter than the Rorbaugh, IIRC. And I'm not sure you get more velocity out of that small barrel.

Ditto above on grips and sights.

Just another pocket gun option. A series of uncomfortable compromises.
Old June 10, 2004, 07:56 PM   #8
pocketman

Ditto what P95Carry said.

I have one and its outstanding. If your familar with the colt pony pocketlite in 380, The rohrbaugh is the same size and weight only in 9mm..
Old June 11, 2004, 02:06 PM   #9
Incursion

I've shot one, and it's the cat's meow. Like other light weight guns, it is prone to flinching aka limp wristing.
Old June 11, 2004, 03:45 PM   #10
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

auldpharght,

Quote:
The capacity is insufficient...the grip is microscopic...the sight radius is too short...the recoil too sharp...on and on

Interesting to see complaints on low capacity, microscopic grips, short sight radius and sharp recoil from one who had been lauding his .22 Mag NAA just three sentences earlier.

It's a niche gun; for its niche, it seems splendid. I'll stick with my Airweight J-frame, personally, but mostly because I know and love it, as the Rohrbaugh trounces it handily purely on the specs.
Old June 11, 2004, 03:57 PM   #11
Will Fennell

needs sights....

I played with one quite a bit at the NRA show......neat little pistol. Very little......and the smaller the pistol, the more important it is to have decent sights.

If this gun had a small set of Heinie Slant Pro Striaght Eights, or small Novaks, I would purchase it ASAP. Since it's sights suck, I'll stick to my Kahr P9 Covert.
Old June 17, 2004, 05:13 AM   #12
VaughnT

Why are sights important on a itty-bitty pocket pistol? You'll most likely stick it in the badguy's ear, not take a headshot at thirty-two paces.

Anyhow, this is the first I've heard of the gun or maker. Anyone have a link to his website? I was considering the Keltec P3AT for a backup weapon while on duty, but the caliber kinda bothered me. Maybe a similarly sized 9mm would be better....especially if it's all metal and will allow some checkering, stippling, and engraving.

You can have a bbq pocket gun, right?
Old June 17, 2004, 07:53 AM   #13
P95Carry

Vaughn ....... go look around here first ... I have transitioned there to ''R9SCarry''!!

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi

It's the newish board just for these guns and will give you quite a bit of info and opinion. The mfr's site is I think (without checking) ..

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/ or close to that.
Old June 18, 2004, 12:39 AM   #14
branrot

Excellent links posting, P95. Thanks.
Old June 18, 2004, 12:50 AM   #15
P95Carry

branrot ....... you are most welcome ..... Always hoping to promulgate useful info if possible.
Old June 22, 2004, 12:15 AM   #16
Jeff OTMG

Let's see, a high capacity, large grip, with a long sight radius. That would mean that it is no longer a pocket pistol. The Rohrbaugh is the size of a P3AT, but is real 9mm. It holds 7 rounds, yet is only an inch wide across the grip, the sight radius is short because the whole gun in only 5" long, and the quality is unsurpassed. There are smaller pistols, you can even have one in 9mm, both the Downsizer and American Derringer, but you get even less capacity (1 or 2) and an even shorter sight radius, but neither are that much thinner than a Rohrbaugh.

As far as the cost. There is a Seecamp .380 for sale in Gun List for about $1200. People use to pay as much for a Seecamp .32 as Rohtbaugh gets for their gun, give me a Rohrbaugh.
Old June 23, 2004, 12:02 PM   #17
P95Carry

Did post on a thread here about a new range report but ... thought I'd add a link on this thread .... My 2nd test - ammo evaluation - might be of interest to some.
Old June 23, 2004, 02:45 PM   #18
Brian D.

Sorry, couldn't stop myself..

..check out my new signature line!
Old June 25, 2004, 05:32 PM   #19
FirstFreedom

Nice new sig line, Brian!

Jeff OTMG, didn't you get the second one ever manufactured?

I agree that the Rohrbaugh is a great idea and a nice pistol.

BUT!!!

It is most definitely NOT nearly as thin/concealable as a KelTec P3AT, which is important if you're wearing jeans (as opposed to loose fitting pants). The Rohrbaugh is still a bit on the thick and big side for carry in jeans. Yes, you can do it, but you'll be printing "gun" or at least "something big, probably a gun" when carried front pocket style. Now, OTOH, dress pants/loose casual pants are a whole nuther story, and the Rohrbaugh is ideal for that type of carry! (AND, it's 9x19, not 9x17).
Old June 26, 2004, 09:35 PM   #20
GeorgeH

I own a Kel Tec 380. I also own three Seecamps, two NAA Guardians, and a Rohrbaugh (serial number 131).

A gun is a tool. The quality of the Rohrbaugh is unreal. I carry a Glock 36. But for a BUG, I cannot think of a better firearm on which to stake my life than the Rohrbaugh.
Old June 27, 2004, 08:23 AM   #21
DDGator

On paper, the P-3AT and R-9 are very similar in size. In reality, they are even closer. People with both guns report near identical carry characteristics.

I can't fathom the comments about the gun being too large for pocket carry in jeans. I and others pocket carry S&W snubs and Karh PM-9s in jeans. Scads of people pocket carry NAA .32s and .380s, which are considerably heavier than an R-9. These comments make no sense to me -- the R-9 is a great pocket pistol. Take it from people who know.

The sights are actually pretty functional. There is a version with sights and without -- which is not all the unusual on a pocket pistol.

Lots of good firsthand info can be found at the Rohrbaugh Forum. Those who own them, love them. I have actually seen more negative comments (by people who don't have one) on this one thread than I have seen anywhere else.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Admin
www.RohrbaughForum.com
Old June 27, 2004, 09:20 AM   #22
Jody Hudson

I am very sorry that I did not share my Rohrbaugh with others at the TFL shoot... Jamie and others, load up and set up a time and place that I can meet you and I'll bring mine.

I would love to share. I love mine.
Old June 27, 2004, 10:46 AM   #23
Te Anau

Too $$$$$$$$ for my blood.I'll probably never even see one.
Old June 27, 2004, 11:13 AM   #24
Jamie Young

Quote:
I am very sorry that I did not share my Rohrbaugh with others at the TFL shoot... Jamie and others, load up and set up a time and place that I can meet you and I'll bring mine.

Just put the gun to the test and let me know how much you like it. I have use for something smaller than my Sig 239 but I'd still like to have a 9mm. My main problem with some of the smaller firearms is some of them have pretty harsh recoils.

With practice........ maybe I could get use to them.
Old June 27, 2004, 09:08 PM   #25
DDGator

Here is a size comparison for you -- P-3AT versus R-9. The R-9 looks rough because this is a welded up dummy gun for holster-making purposes. Pic courtesy of Kevin at K&D Holsters.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Form Admin
www.RohrbaughForum.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R9S v P3AT 1.jpg (24.4 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg R9S v P3AT 1a.jpg (49.9 KB, 134 views)