The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

View Poll Results: 9mm vs. .22Mag...Which one?
.22 Magnum 18 56.25%
9mm 14 43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 13, 2004, 09:11 PM   #1
seeker_two

9mm vs. .22Magnum in a rifle...

Yes. I know I've posted this elsewhere. But I want your opinions, too...

I'm thinking about getting a small, semi-auto carbine as a plinking/small varmint/truck rifle. After a lot of thought, I've narrowed it down to carbines in either 9mm or .22Magnum....

1. Relatively cheap ammo for both.
2. Easy to shoot.
3. Lightweight.
4. Can be found for under $300.
5. Similar in energy out of a carbine barrel.

Now I'm having trouble deciding b/t the two....

1. 9mm has more bullet weight & "punch"...
2. .22Mag has better accuracy & trajectory past 50 yards...
3. Some 9mm carbines can use "high-cap" mags...
4. .22Mag ammo is lighter & smaller (can carry more in the same space)

So, which one makes sense to buy?....

Thanks in advance...
Old June 13, 2004, 09:57 PM   #2
scottys1

For small varmints, plinking, paper punching, get a .22 mag for the accuracy/trajectory.
If you are thinking larger varmints at close range such as home defense, get a 9mm (or larger).
Old June 14, 2004, 08:41 AM   #3
Rupestris

I gotta agree with scottys1. A Ruger 10/22mag would be my choice. For the reasons stated and because you can pick up the .17HMR replacement barrel later making it even more versatile.
Old June 14, 2004, 09:17 AM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

More considerations on the options of each - -

While the 9x19mm ctg gets some boost in velocity in the 16 -- 20" carbine barrel, it is not as much as you might think. Sorry I don't have the figures, but it is not nearly as much as I would have thought.

I'd imagine you're considering putting a scope sight on whichever one you choose. Given that, the .22 mag rimfire is a true small game/varmint proposition out beyond 100 yards. Yes, you can hit a humanoid silhouette farther than that - - -

If you choose the 9mm, you are into the realm of the Marlin Camp Carbine, which is reputed to be lacking in fine accuracy. A lot of people rationalize this by thinking of it as a close range defensive proposition, and neglect the sporting aspects. The Colt, Beretta, and H&K 9mm carbines are pretty expensive and, frankly out of the "recreational" image. I don't know how important this is to you. Even the little Kel-Tec folder is not cheap.

Also, when choosing the 9mm carbine, many shooters get way over into the anti-personnel aspects and tend to mount a red dot sight on it. This is indeed a fine, very rapid, setup for certain applications, but lacks precision on small game at longer ranges.

The .22 WRM (WMR??) on the other hand, is available in nice autoloaders from at least Ruger, Marlin, CZ, and probably others, for under your $300 figure.

Given the needs you describe, I know I'd choose a Ruger 10/22M, and spend good money on a good quality fixed 4X scope in a very sturdy mount and a nice, padded, case. I'd buy two spare magazines and keep one loaded.

Whatever your choice, good luck to you.
Johnny
Old June 14, 2004, 07:33 PM   #5
Jamie Young

Quote:
While the 9x19mm ctg gets some boost in velocity in the 16 -- 20" carbine barrel, it is not as much as you might think. Sorry I don't have the figures, but it is not nearly as much as I would have thought.
I wouldn't bother with the 9mm unless you were going to get the hot sub-gun ammo. That stuff is hotter than the usually 9mm out there but its not safe to shoot in handguns. I believe it is around 1400 FPS with a 124gr bullet.

My Marlin model 882-22mag is zeroed at 100yds, hits 7inches low at 200yds, and can shoot 12inch groups or better at 300yds and still punch threw a 3/4inch piece of plywood.

22Mag is a better rifle cartridge if you plan on shooting 50yds or more.IMHO

I believe the MP5 with the hot sub gun ammo is considered to be effective out to 300yds..........but not very.

I think the Beretta Storm would be a nice truck gun though. For some reason the 22Mag doesn't sound truck gunish to me.
Old June 15, 2004, 10:09 AM   #6
FirstFreedom

I voted .22 magnum. You reach out and touch something. Carry a 9mm handgun on your hip if the target is within 30 yards, then you have the bases covered. I wish all questions asked here were this easy.
Old June 15, 2004, 10:16 AM   #7
UnforgivenII

My department had issued a 40 cal carbine to some of the deputies and from what I can gather from everyone who came in contact with them they hated them. Go with the 22 mag.
Old June 17, 2004, 06:31 AM   #8
dfaugh

Actually

for $300 you might be able to squeeze out one of each. I have a 9mm Hi-Point Carbine ($165)... <OK, here come the flames from all the people who'll tell you what a cheap POS it is>...Which I think is a hoot to shoot, and because of both its design AND its cost its a great truck/HD gun... Mine is utterly reliable, digests anything I've used in it, including +P+ rounds.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't try to hit much beyond 50 yards or so with it, just not accurate enough, although I don't have a scope on it, and that might make a difference(I s**k with anything except optics, old-age visual problems). But, I suspect you could probably shop around and find decent used .22 magnum for the balance of the $300 (Or even a new single shot). This (IMHO) would be alot better for popping varmints out farther, probably with much greater accuracy.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old June 17, 2004, 07:19 AM   #9
BigD

As noted above, the Hi-Point Carbine is a decent little weapon for under $200 (unlike ANY of their handguns).

I didn't vote because it really depends upon your intended purpose. For strictly varmint shooting and plinking, the .22 Mag is the way to go. If you expect the carbine to be used against vermin of the two-legged variety, you really need the 9mm.

Read between the lines;
Criticize the words they're selling.
Think for yourself,
And feel the walls become sand beneath your feet.
--Queensryche--
Old June 17, 2004, 07:23 AM   #10
K80Geoff

When I still lived on LonGuyland I frequented an indoor pistol range. They did a land office business in Hi Point 9mm carbines. The owner could not keep them in stock, sold them as fast as they came in.

Most buyers were... ahem... young adults.

I suspect they were popular because the owners could buy 9mm ammo and specify it was for a rifle. This is important in New York where pistols are highly regulated and you are asked what you intend to use the ammo for. I regularly had to show my Pistol permit to buy 45ACP.

You do the math here.

They also would allow you to shoot the carbines at indoor pistol ranges where rifle calibers are a no no.
Old June 17, 2004, 04:52 PM   #11
Darkangel

Normally I would say the .22 mag, as my Marlin 25MN is deadly at 100 yards.
But you want a rifle for the car and mulp uses.............so I would get the KelTec sub 2000 in 9mm or 40Cal. You can still get the extended mag for these, and the weapon fold in half to conserve room.
Get one of those NcStar Red Dots (has a 2 MOA red dot) attach it to a riser mount(so you can zero it , remove the sight and its still zeroed when reattached) Do the same with one of the compact less expensive scopes.......and you now have a compact rifle for any situation. You can use 9mm or 40 ball or HV HPs. Now you stuck at between 100-200 yards, but you can always up grade to the SU-16.
good luck
Old June 18, 2004, 10:49 AM   #12
Freightman

I voted for the nine because I didn't think it would recieve very many votes but I see that it is tied.
I have a Hi Point ( My grandson has a Hi Point) he loves it and is pretty darn accurate with it.
Old June 19, 2004, 11:34 AM   #13
Rohann

There's a large difference between .22 cal and .40 cal....